Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Morning sickness and the band

Hi guys!

I am not pregnant ( I think), but an episode this morning reminded me of when I was, and the constant nausea/retching I endured for 7 months. Quite violent actually, and I got a bit worried since we are not supposed to be doing that right? I am actually hoping to start trying by the end of the year.

The episode this morning involved a dirty diaper and me running away from the poor smelly child retching. I am still sore, and not quite sure I should eat today since liquids are going down very slowly.

thanx for any insight.

Tellie

Tellie, I'm the wrong person to respond, but I noticed nobody else has yet. I have no children, but I do have a band so I've read a lot of posts. All I can tell you from what I've learned is that doctors usually tell you to stick with liquids for several days if you're vomiting or PB-ing (productive burping) where you food comes up along with some slime.

If you do a search on this site and put in the word vomit or PB, you should come up with a lot of info.

But stick with liquids for now.

Sorry, but I had to laugh a little at the poor little poopy diaper story. I'd gladly change it if you were near me.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa!

You are so sweet! I had never had a problem with smelly diapers before but today I got teary at first, but then had to give up and run away. Hope she wont be traumatized!

Thanks for the info on how to get info. Its the worst day for liquids!!! My in-laws whom I havent told (or will tell) about the band are coming tonight and staying over. Last time they were here I had trouble with dinner and dear mum-in-law kept asking my hubby what was wrong with me. Ack! I better go now and prepare soup! Roast beef just wont do for me today.

Thanx a lot

Tellie

Hi Tellie -

What DeLarla said about being on liquids so the swelling in your stomach can go down.

There are anti-nausea meds available - every bandster should have some standing by. They come both in oral or suppository form. The one I have is called Phenergan - it's the oral version, very teeny-tiny pills. Before you become pregnant, you will want to discuss with your band doc how you want to manage the pregnancy, and what kind of anti-nausea medicines you will be able to take.

Pregnancy related nausea is not a given - just because you were sick as a dog with the first one doesn't mean the same will happen with your second, and vice versa, but it is definitely good to be prepared.

Some people have their fills removed/reduced during pregnancy, some leave them the same. That's something for you and your doc to discuss.

Tellie, I haven't told my family. I'm certainly not telling my inlaws. It's easy to get away with it though. Just make a huge pot of Soup or stew for dinner. Pretend your starving and dish up an enormous bowl for yourself, then play around with the big stuff while eating only the liquid. Chew the liquid! They'll never know.

I was at this huge dinner party in my liquid phase. Everyone asked why I wasn't eating, so I looked at them all guilty and apologized to the birthday boy by saying I was so hungry that I pigged out right before I got to the restaurant. So I ordered a frozen cocktail and ate it with a spoon. They like that and we all got along fine. Nobody needs to know about your band till you're ready. Or never, for that matter.

ShellyJ posted that she'd be unfilled before getting pregnant. Maybe that means she discussed it with her doctor? If so, maybe she can add to Donali's words of wisdom.