Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB'g at Work

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be banded in a week, Sept 5. :clap2:

I have been reading about this PB and slime stuff. This makes me nervous. Does this happen often in a public place?!

I am a court reporter, and I can just see myself now sliming the judge or an attorney, zomg. NOoooo!

Please reassure me,

Mallorie

I have never pb's in public, in fact my first pb was when I was 8 months along and I just forgot to chew well and swollowed too fast. Just make sure you chew things well and take it slow, you'll be fine. Good Luck!

LMAO, you will have to very carefull of what you eat and when you eat. You will have to find your safe foods and eat very slowly giving your pouch a chance to let you know it is almost full before you put that next bite in your mouth that will send you over the top....pb. You may want to stick to shakes or Soups until you get the hang of it.

I've had very few at work and when I did I knew I was pushing the envelope. I hate a hash brown, I tried to eat a Breakfast sandwich, rice, ate too fast, drank too soon after eating. Everyone is diffrent so you will have to listen to your body.

As long as you are careful and remember to eat slow and chew well, you shouldn't have a problem. I make sure to never try things I haven't already tried and know I can eat without a problem when at work or out. As long as you do that, you should be fine.

Mallorie,

LMAO I just imagined you sliming on the judge:-)) hey you are getting banded at my birthday, I guess its your(and mine) lucky day!!

Truly said I usually have PB or sliming or golfball only when I eat at home, I think its because I dont watch properly what I eat or talk to my flatmates so I dont bite enough.PB never happend to me in public,restaurant,work...

Good luck to you and keep us updated:-))

Eva

I'm 4 months out and have never pb'd.....so far. I have slimed once and that was because as everyone else has mentioned, I took too big a bite. You'll do fine if you follow the suggestions listed above. Congratulations on your decision to get banded.

Roberta

Even if you are a more frequent PBer (unlikely), it won't happen in the middle of court since you're not likely eating there. PBs aren't something that happen 2 hours after eating -- you'll know you're "stuck" within seconds or minutes of swallowing.

Hope that eases your concern! They're really not as big of a deal as you think pre-band and it's completely within your control to prevent about 95% of them (not being too tight and avoiding certain foods like doughy breads).

Dear Mallorie,

I had the same fear you have, as a professional software developer, this would be extremely embarassing to me. Before I got my band that is ALL I use to hear, I even put a trash can under my desk thinking I would be this sick gross person.

I am almost 1 year out and I am proud to say I have NEVER done this yet. I have had some sliming esposides where your mouth produces excess salvia and this happened only about 3 times when I was very tight and restricted in the mornings. But I have NEVER done this while eating food.

I don't vomit easily, never had any eating disorders, nor do I take medications or have any illness to make me vomit, I NEVER vomited easily before I got my band so I don't vomit easily after my band.

That said, the more restriction you get in your band and the less careful you are with thick solids can cause this to happen,if you take a too big of a bite and usually this can occur on the first bite, this has almost happened to me in the beginning when I did not know to warm and relax the esaphagus, (by drinking warm tea before a meal) especially when my band is really tight, and I just take the first bite with caution and chew well, I don't really have to chew that much anymore, I just take smaller bites and avoid foods like sub-sandwiches and breaded foods.

You would want to avoid this as much as possible because sadly so many have lost their bands due to frequent PBing/vomiting.

But my personal band experience has been problem free, I eat normally, no one would know I have a band, the only difference is that I just don't eat much.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I've PBed at work twice. Fortunately I'm in a position where it doesn't matter if I'm at my desk - I can come and go as I please, pretty much, so if I feel a PB coming on I just go hang out in the bathroom for a while. I know people who have much more structured work routines, and try to sympathize with them - it must be difficult.

I'm not sure what you're schedule looks like, but chances are that some point in time you will need to PB during the work day. My best advice is to keep that in mind, and schedule/compose your meals accordingly.

Case in point, I was in Illinois for a business meeting, with limo scheduled to pick me up at 1:30. At 1 I started eating lunch. Not a good idea. lunch got stuck, and I ended up having to ask the limo driver to pull off the shoulder of the interstate, so I could run down into the grass off the shoulder and PB in rush hour traffic. Niiiice. I could have been a lot smarter about when or what I ate, but I wasn't even thinking about it. Bet your butt I do now!

I just returned from a walk cuz I was pbing from lunch. I ate a lean cuisine chicken pannini - have had one before as I can eat toasted bread - i nibbled three bites, chewed to goo and while I thought it was just hard - it ended up coming back up. I would stick to liquids as you can never tell from meal to meal or day to day what will happen.

PBs aren't something that happen 2 hours after eating --

Not necessarily true. Sometimes (today, for one) I get something so stuck, or my band just tightens up, and nothing wants to stay down, so I end up spitting up, off and on, all day long.

In your situation, where you can't just up and leave three times in a half hour, I suggest you be very careful about what you eat during the work day, and how much you eat. Over-eating will make me PB every time.

You're going to have to be extra vigilent about what you eat when you are at work. PBing any time isn't good but at work it can be really a problem. Better safe than sorry. Eat foods you know will go down and stay down (protein shake, etc.) when you are very tight.