Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LDS Bandsters

Whata fun thread to stumble upon this morning! Just in case anyone's still around, I thought I'd jump in.

I was banded mid-Feb and had one fill that didn't seem to do anything. I'll have another tomorrow and will hopefully start seeing a faster loss.

I've decided that the only way I'll succeed, restricted or not, is to "pray myself thin." I know I need that extra help every day!

I've had a lot of thoughts about this.

I feel badly for the kids, but if this can lead to them not having to endure abuse, etc. in the future, then the stress right now will be worth it. I'm glad that many mothers have chosen to stay with them. I think they'll be alright.

I think the things that have gone on with this sect are abominable. I cringe every time I see the name FLDS typed all the way out because it's way too similar to the name of our church and I want in no way to be affiliated with them.

I think Warren Jeffs is an evil man and has used and brainwashed these people. I think any of the leadership of the cult that has gone along with him should be prosecuted as well. I think any man of 50 who "marries" a child should be prosecuted.

The whole thing makes me sick, but I'm glad it's getting taken care of. I'm glad that it's been a peaceful resolution so far. We don't need another Waco.

I get very irritable about this subject and wish that the group had a name other than FLDS. It's bad enough that the television anchors barefly get that part in - "oh yeah, they're an off-shoot of the LDS church..."

With that said, I've been a touch more sympathetic lately. I'm wondering about some of these guys and wondering how much contact they've had with the outside world and how intense their own brainwashing has been. If there's a guy out there who has been raised in that population all of this life, it would be very sad to see him end up in jail for something he truly didn't know.

This morning, the news is reporting findings of a "temple bed," which made me pretty nauseous. (A good thing, since I weigh in tomorrow!) :-)

Yeah, I saw the bed thing this morning, which made me angry. Poor innocent children! And I agree, it irritates me that they refer to them as Mormons and barely get the F part right. I just can't imagine what it feels like to them though- who truly believe and haven't had contact in the outside world- to have someone break into their temple. The heartbreak. (I'm just been trying to put myself in their shoes). I hope it gives an opportunity to those who have wanted to get out, but couldn't, a chance to get out and get help. I've been watching it pretty closely, especially since I used to child abuse investigations,

I'm a future bandster and also LDS! excited to discover this thread.

For personal/financial reasons we have decided not to disclose to certain family members who own the small business dh gets insurance through that I am having this done. They tend to be controlling. We know from experience they would go as far as to cancel insurance for us if they felt I shouldn't get this done and that WLS is something they are extremely opposed to (also it does not affect the price of health insurance they pay as we are part of a large co-op). Keeping this to ourselves is something we plan on doing for long term, both for fills or any other complications that may or (hopefully) may not occur. This means I will be keeping it from people in our ward as family members are also part of our ward. Has anyone here kept the surgery private? If so how do you do that without lying? I don't know if its possible. I had a heart procedure this year and I am worried if I say I'm having a "medical procedure" people will assume that is what it is. Any advice welcome.

Warren Jeffs is an evil evil man. I grew up around Polygamists in rural area out West. They are a strange group of brainwashed people. It is awful that they have any affiliation with the name of our church. I feel sorry for the children and those who are brainwashed to participate in a community full of abuse and secrecy. I feel as human beings we are given the light of Christ to discern. Something on some level has to feel "off" for them and this must mess them up for life but being so isolated I'll give them that. There is something to being "brainwashed" but I feel any 50 year old man should know better then to "marry" and rape a child. On a good note look at all the families this may change for the better. At least I hope it does. As far as being sad about their temple I have to say I have no feeling that way. There is absolutely nothing sacred about a "temple bed" double ick.

Edited by Luu2008

Hello, and welcome! I just discovered the thread this morning and am happy to find new friends here.

There is no need for you to tell anyone if you don't want - and you're not lying! If someone says, "Wow - you look great! How did you do it?" you smile and say, "I watched what I ate and controlled my portions." That's true! You'll watch what you eat and the band will help you control portions.

I believe in honesty, but don't think it extends to giving a medical discloser about such personal things.

Now remember you're the one who brought it up. But anyway, I think it's horrible for both the women and the children. They need to find a way to shut this down and it should have been done a long time before. I think its great that the state of Texas is doing something about it. Yes, I know that this could really traumatize the children, but in the long run I feel they will be better off.

I also hate how this reflects upon LDS church. Many people will not understand that there's a difference between the two. I'm living down south and those of us who are LDS already are looked down upon. They don't have a clue what the Church believes in and this only makes matters that much worse. Just yesterday my son was told that we worship cows and practice witchcraft (honestly this truly happened).

A couple of years ago the high school history book that they were using here stated that the reason why the mormons moved west was to practice poligamy. Nothing in the text book menitoned the persecutions they received and that they were driven out.

But, my heart goes out to these children. It's a horrible thing for them to have gone through. When they state that there's a 16 year old that already has 3 children, I could cry. They've had their childhood's stolen from them.

You are so right, and having been raised in the midwest when the church was not very understood, I understand what you're going though. Someday, maybe your son will be surrounded by other LDS kids like him, or off on a mission, and will laugh about being asked that. It might turn into one of his favorite stories. :-)

As far as the FLDSers go, maybe it's a good thing that they are children. Kids can be resiliant, and therapy is getting better at dealing with these things. In the long run, they are probably much better off than their young moms who have a much harder road ahead.

They'll be okay.

Laurie,

Thanks for the support about keeping it to myself. I wouldn't mind sharing but I just know already how it will turn out. I'm very excited about this tool to help me gain control of my health! BTW my name is also Laurie spelled (Lori).

Nip and Laurie,

Nip-Couldn't agree more with your disgust. Clearly being raised in that kind of a family dynamic and community is going to push you to do things that you wouldn't normally have considered.

I'm going to vent here because it just boils my blood. Abuse is abuse, no excuse for it. Having known Polygamists and being friends with a girl who escaped from it, it is a sick twisted world where women and children are made to feel as if they don't go along with the all powerful men they will not attain the Celestial Kingdom. If they really disagree they are excommunicated. As a foster/adopt parent who has been in the trenches with abused/brainwashed children it is hard for me to have any good feelings towards adults involved even knowing they are victims themselves at some point its gotta stop. Every one of my foster babies' parents were also abused as children, without exception, despite them being victims I fully agree with their removal and the parents getting the help they needed to stop the abuse cycle.

Where I come from even those not in our our church know enough of us to know there are LDS who are for the most part "normal" people with higher then average standards compared to the world then there are "jack Mormons." Out there somewhere are the "strange people" who dress like half pioneers and live in the desert sheltered in a self made prison. Most people who know LDS people do not associate the FLDS type with us at all. They also give off an entirely different Aura then the Amish or Hitites, we lived in the midwest and there is a big difference.

I may be wrong about this but my take on it is claiming to have messages from God telling them what to do but being so off base, I mean really who do you think is driving their decisions if there is any inspiration being given? I'm sure there are kind men, still I would be among the camp that feels, again, for the most part, the men are given too much power and the entire situation is a breeding ground for child and spousal abuse.

Now we leave on the East Coast and wow was it a shock to see how people view the "Mormons" or LDS. If they have heard of us usually is it not the LDS church they have heard of, its the fundamentalists. On a sort of funny note we also lived in the Caribbean and the missionaries told us every once in awhile there is a man who would want to join the church but when they would find out there was no polygamy they didn't want to anymore. In the Caribbean because one time we scheduled a Halloween activity the rumor was we sacrificed a child on Halloween. I even heard the men had horns...it was kind of funny there as many of the people were supersticious but its not so funny in the US to be thought that I as a woman would ever allow myself or my children to be involved in a situation like the FLDS church....okay really stepping off of my soap box. Clearly this bothers me. :redface:

Oh, goodness, I wasn't saying the temple was sacred by any means. I was just thinking about the kids who believe it is and how they're going through an emotional roller coaster right now. They're heartbreak makes me sad, but believe me, I'm glad law enforcement is down there!

Hi everyone! I just stumbled on this and glad that I found everyone here! I am not banded yet but I just saw my surgeon for my initial consult today. He said that everything should go through smoothly!! I'm excited and nervous too, just because I didn't expect everything to happen so quickly! But I'm happy it is! My hubby is deployed right now so when he gets back hopefully I'll be lookin much much better!!!

I'm with you all on the disgust about all this FLDS crap. I hate that people associate us, it irks me to no end!

Luu I am not going to be telling a whole lot of people either. I have told a few people and they have tried to convince me otherwise, but my bishop is totally on board with me. Plus DH is on board too so thats all that matters for me. Plus telling them that you 've started exercising and watching what you are eating is totally true! I don't think it's necessary to explain that you had a procedure done to help with it!

I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Jenn :redface:

Luu - Sorry to hear that you have to keep this quiet. I am one who told just about everyone I knew. I have also been fortunate to loose very easily with the band and with the rapid weight loss that I've had everyone would have figured it out anyway. I've lost 94 pounds in 6 months. I never expected to loose this much in such a short amount of time.

NavywifeJenn and Luu - Welcome and congrats on deciding to have the band. It can really change your life. It's one of the best things I've done. I wish both of you good luck on the journey.

Mrsflipflops,

Its okay :tongue: I can see you have a big heart. No harm done. I'm opinionated but I also appreciate other's opinions even if they differ from mine. I know you didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry if I implied that. I just want to ensure that nobody outside of our faith compares our temple with their temple or our views with FLDS...that would be a shame.

I'm sure you would agree (or maybe you wouldn't) that when a group of people completely alienate themselves from society, live in a highly secured gaited community, brainwash their children from birth, and marry off child brides to men old enough to be their Grandpa's there are certain investigations that should be done, and if they need to look at what sickness is being done in their "temple" I'm all for it, if they need to remove kids from the homes to get a straight answer, then thats what should be done. This group keeps breaking the law, somebody needs to stop them.

You are right it is sad. Being a foster parent I know that they more then likely all will be going home within the next few weeks, all 400 plus kids with their moms, some of the moms being 15 and 16 years old. First an emergency removal and then CPS and other investigators will do an investigation if there is no finding the kids go home. I don't think any of them dare to talk, specifically with their brainwashed adult mothers standing over them as I understand it many of the moms are with them. I do think IF they can actually help some kids see there is a bigger world out there it may do some good. If it just scares them from ever saying anything it is going to do more harm...it is sad totally agree with you on that.

K I'm done really... :redface:

I love that this thread is getting some new posts. I love the kinship that sharing LDS membership can give us.

I'm also one who told pretty much everyone. I have also had good success, with 43 pounds gone after the first two months. I hope I continue to have good success, because if people were scrutinizing me, I don't know how I'd handle it. At the end of the summer, we'll be relocating with my husband's job and I've often wondered if I will not divulge my surgery and weight background to our new acquaintances and friends there. Although, if we have any pictures up from the last 10 years, it will be obvious that something went down. (My weight! Hee hee.)

I completely understand LUU why you aren't going to tell people. When you have people in your life that could sabotage your ability to get the surgery, you have to be cautious. Good luck with everything.

And welcome to all you new posters. It's so fun to have this little sub-community.