Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Gotta Choose Surgery By June 19!

help! I can't decide between gastric bypass and gastric sleeve! ugh..please share reasons why you chose...any pro n cons u wanna share is much appreciated!

I like the sleeve. Less down time. Only 85% cut off. No dumping.

My reasons I chose to go with the Sleeve was after much research. I personally did not want to have to contend with malabsorptin issues, dumping which can happen with the sleeve but much more so with the bypass nor did I care about having my insides redesigned.

I also know there is a whole lot of less down time with the sleeve with the typical same results.

Please tell me what dumping means.

Why do you need to make a decision in so little time? This is no small thing.

If a doctor is pressuring you to fill a spot, STOP, and go somewhere else.

The forum is great, but how much research and preparation have you done?

These surgeries are a big step, not your only options, and you really, truly, need time to prepare - are you on a pre-op diet? Are you seeing a counselor, a nut? (not are you required to see one - are you seeing one).

All the best to you, but please don't rush - no one here will be living your life, once you have made your decision.

Do talk to a medical expert on this issue. I was given the choice and am going with the sleeve for a few reasons.

1. The dumping issue. Dumping is when you eat too much, too fast and it goes right through you, causing these symptoms:

Some symptoms of dumping syndrome include:

• nausea or queasiness
  • a sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort
  • cramping
  • diarrhea
  • general weakness
  • profuse sweating
  • vomiting
  • heart palpitations (an increase in heart rate)

A sleeve doesn't involve the same recovery time, and it doesn't involve rearranging your insides. You still retain part of your stomach. If for some reason that didn't work, at least I still have all my parts to try other options, but I didn't like the idea of completely and finally re-doing my insides.

Hi Patty;

Reposting response from my VSG guru who used to dispense good advice to me as a newbie like a fairy godmother.

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY (bypass). For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

Personally, I have two friends who have had bypass. One great success but two follow up surgies in last 10 years for complications. The other has had success but a lot of issues. I feel so badly when she dumps - we litterally pull over and she craps in a plastic bag. This still happens at over a year out.

At a year plus out the only difference in my life is restriction of how much I can eat. I am a lucky girl and have no regrets.

Hi Patty;

Reposting response from my VSG guru who used to dispense good advice to me as a newbie like a fairy godmother.

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY (bypass). For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

Personally, I have two friends who have had bypass. One great success but two follow up surgies in last 10 years for complications. The other has had success but a lot of issues. I feel so badly when she dumps - we litterally pull over and she craps in a plastic bag. This still happens at over a year out.

At a year plus out the only difference in my life is restriction of how much I can eat. I am a lucky girl and have no regrets.

I have read and read and read and still felt informed when I read this post! Thank you!

Hi Patty;

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another' date=' but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY (bypass). For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

At a year plus out the only difference in my life is restriction of how much I can eat. I am a lucky girl and have no regrets.[/quote']

I love this...thanks!

Little Bits