Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Better Sleeve Or Ru En Y?

I'm not reading through all the responses so these may or may not be duplicates.

Sleeve pros:

• Can be "easily" revised if needed
  • Reduction of ghrelin (note: the stomach is NOT the only place that produces ghrelin).
  • Limited likely hood of "stretching"
  • Reduced risk of dumping (it is still possible to dump with the sleeve... actually it's possible to dump with a fully intact GI system)
  • Intact pyloric valve
  • Limited long-term regain
  • Recuded chance of malnutrition

Sleeve cons:

• Risk of food intolerances
  • Chance of increased heartburn/reflux (can lead to other complications such as Barret's esophagus)
  • No dismembered stomach left behind <- this creeps me out
  • Not malabsorptive - you are still responsible for what you eat. If it goes down your throat and doesn't come back up, you will metabolize it.
  • As a revisional procedure, greater risk of leak
  • Weightloss is slower, on average

RNY pros:

• Reduced responsibility for what you eat, better for "free pass" weightloss
  • Dumping can be a great behavioral modification tool for long-term dietary changes
  • Long history, still the "gold standard" of WLS
  • Most frequently approved procedure (no longer experimental)
  • Weightloss tends to happen faster (good for people with urgent health risks)

RNY cons:

• Pouch seems to stretch considerably
  • Unimpressive long-term regain stats
  • Weird poop (happens with DS too)

For me the raw pros & cons were about even. It was a matter of what mated best with the lifestyle I wanted, and the degree of responsibility/ownership I wanted for my diet. I did not really consider RNY. Had the sleeve not been an option for me, I would have most likely gone with a DS. I truly see RNY as a last resort, but there are people who are at the stage of last resort and I think it's a great tool for them. See what I mean? It just depends on what's a good fot for where you are.

I need to lose 120-140 pounds and I am not sure if the sleeve would get me those kind of results. My surgeon says that r en y is the best. But I workout and think that the sleeve is a better choice. Has anyone lost 130 pounds or so? What was your time frame to do so? Does anyone workout? Basically any advice would help thanks guys.

Alsoto OP, I think I caught one of your responses as the above was posting.

Re hairloss: if it happens, it will happen regardless of procedure. And it's probably going to happen. :)

NSAIDS are not "recommended" for either the sleeve nor RNY (nor the band, but that's not a topic in your question). There's probably about equal risk to people taking them with either procedure. It really boils down to the likelihood of ulcer (ulceration in my reasoning is at greatest risk with the band), and the small amount of tissue left/difficulty in making a repair. If NSAIDS are needed, there are protective measures that can be taken for both procedures.

NSAIDS = non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs i think.. well anyhow it includes: Aspirin, Ibuprofin, Aleve, --post op the only pain med you can take safely i believe is tylenol. NSAIDS cause stomach issues and ulcers are bad for your tummy with the sleeve or rny.

One other bonus of sleeve over rny ...something I have noticed looking at TONS of before/after pictures of RNY patients vs Sleeve patients is -- overall healthful looking -- lots of RNY's kinda look a little sickly and have a pale demeanor after a year or two... where there's some really attractive and healthy looking post-oppers on this forum. Has anyone else noticed that - or am I just imagining it? lol

NSAIDS = non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs i think.. well anyhow it includes: Aspirin, Ibuprofin, Aleve, --post op the only pain med you can take safely i believe is tylenol. NSAIDS cause stomach issues and ulcers are bad for your tummy with the sleeve or rny.

One other bonus of sleeve over rny ...something I have noticed looking at TONS of before/after pictures of RNY patients vs Sleeve patients is -- overall healthful looking -- lots of RNY's kinda look a little sickly and have a pale demeanor after a year or two... where there's some really attractive and healthy looking post-oppers on this forum. Has anyone else noticed that - or am I just imagining it? lol

I think its amazing sometimes the amount of variance in what our surgeon's tell us!!! I was told it was fine to take NSAIDS. He said that I should take it with a teaspoon of pepto or something similar... but that was when I was only a few weeks out.

Perhaps those are people who aren't getting in their Vitamins? A good friend lost 120 pounds with RNY, looks great and is very happy. He has maintained his weight for a few years now. In fact, his doctor would like for him to gain a few pounds. Still, it isn't a procedure I would consider for myself. I definitely agree that it depends on the person's situation and goals.

My doctor told me after the sleeve absolutely no ibruprofen or Nsaids or aspirin. Too much chance of stomach bleeding. Actually if you look on the Aleve bottle, there is a waring that says May Cause Stomach Bleeding. I suffered from migranes before my surgery and took 2 Excedrin Migraine pills every night. Since my surgery, I have not had one headache.

Switching to Tylenol which works less than ibuprofin imo, is worth it. I'd rather be 200 pounds w/ headaches from time to time, then in constant pain and soreness from being 650 ... not gonna deter me from choosing a healthier lifestyle.

Patrick. Since having this surgery I have not had any Migraines. Yay! My surgeon told me that there are not a lot of studies done but people with wls are reporting that with wls, they're having a decrease to none in HA's. Now I did watch Dr Oz and he was dividing up a cadaver and heade a statement about fatty tissue in the brain that affects our cognitive abilities. My doc said it's like endocjephsis it makes since. I'm so happy I have a skinny brain now. No HA's works great for me. :)

Switching to Tylenol which works less than ibuprofin imo, is worth it. I'd rather be 200 pounds w/ headaches from time to time, then in constant pain and soreness from being 650 ... not gonna deter me from choosing a healthier lifestyle.

Used to have a migrane every night. Ever since my urgey haven't had one headache. I am 6 months out.

Perhaps those are people who aren't getting in their Vitamins? A good friend lost 120 pounds with RNY' date=' looks great and is very happy. He has maintained his weight for a few years now. In fact, his doctor would like for him to gain a few pounds. Still, it isn't a procedure I would consider for myself. I definitely agree that it depends on the person's situation and goals.[/quote']

I totally agree I have several friends and family who are many years out one is 20+ years out and has just as good of looks as anyone else and no problems related to the RNY. But again it's really made me look at my thoughts about all surgeries and my ideas and what really matters to me. I think I have made a decision :) I will continue to investigate and question until I am 100% sure but thanks to all the wonderful comments and knowledge I have been feeling much more informed.

So thanks gang

Sleevedreamer, look at you! You look fantastic. ;) YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY for no more Migraines. :)

Less Migraines could also be due to less sleep apnea and better oxygenation, but can definitely see how fat in the head could cause pressure on brain.luckily I don't have migraines and don't get many headaches. I mostly took nsaids nightly for back pain and ankle swelling. Also sometimes for tooth aches and ear aches.

Edit: used to always have headaches turned out to be my sleep apnea. Haven't slept without my cpap in 4 years since I got it.

I need to lose 120-140 pounds and I am not sure if the sleeve would get me those kind of results. My surgeon says that r en y is the best. But I workout and think that the sleeve is a better choice. Has anyone lost 130 pounds or so? What was your time frame to do so? Does anyone workout? Basically any advice would help thanks guys.

My own experience with my surgeon was that he recommended the Roux n Y for me. It's considered the 'gold standard' for weight loss surgery at this time. I am a Type 2 diabetic and he felt that this surgery would be best for me. I had my own personal reasons for wanting to choose the vertical sleeve instead and shared that with my surgeon. He did eventually tell me that there was no right or wrong choice for me so I insisted on having the sleeve instead which is obviously what I got. Perhaps an additional appointment with your surgeon for you to express this might be your next step?

Patick: good point, i had forgotten about when I had to take an NSAID for a heal spur and at that time, I also had no HA's. I think someone should research this. :)