Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick of this Crap-ll

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very much attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned everyone. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life, like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to a higher power.

Is there anything more loyal and loving than a dog....brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful story.

your last line says a million words...

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to a higher power.

I like that.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life, like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

:Cry::Cry: That was beautifully put. :Cry:

I think children are the angels among us, if only we would listen to them more carefully...

Thanks for sharing such a heart warming experience!

I would hope that it was understood before I mention it: but my thread opening post was not written by me. I write most of what I post, but sometimes I just share a joke or in this case a wonderful story. I changed one line in the story so as to make the story meet with more people's needs (IMHO). I am glad that most people enjoyed it, but I did not want to take the credit for more than I actually did.

The hardest things I have ever done in my life were making the decision to pull the plug on two relatives and holding 3 dogs as they were put to sleep by veternarians. This piece made me cry, as I suspect some of you may have, but it also filled me with the joy of life, as I had hoped it did to many of you. That was why I posted it.

This is a wonderful story and definitely tugged at my heart strings. I have 2 sons, ages 4 & 5, not to mention I'm a HUGE animal lover. I've held a couple of my babies while they took their last breath.

Kids & puppies...dogs....cats.....whatever.....it doesn't get any better than that!!!

THANKS Tired Old Man!!