Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't he listen???

Ok, here is the deal. I was the first patient to have my lap band placed by my doctor. He was awsome! He always asked my opinion and input on what was going on. Sadly, he is leaving at the end of the month. The NP in the office, whom I absolutely love, set me up with one of the other doctors in the practice. He is also new at the lap band thing. He gave me my 3rd fill and it went fairly well since it was the first time doing it in the office. It only took him 2 times to hit the center of my port. I called yesterday and got in for today to get another fill. He came in the room with 2 residents with out asking if it were ok. They each felt my port. It feels like a bruise when he touches it. He got ready and before he cleaned my skin I pointed to the spot that he used last time and I said "right here where this spot is, is where you got it last time." He didn't say anything and cleaned my skin and then poke 1, he missed, poke 2 and 3 he missed. It stung soooo bad when he wasn't over the port. Poke 4 he completely missed and I could feel it go past the port and said something. Poke 5 still not right and he said that I had the scar there and that could be why it stung so bad. At that point I realized that he was near my scar and not down low enough. Poke 6 he hit it good enough and drew back Fluid and then added my new 1/2 a cc. I looked at my stomach and I was right that he was right under the scar about a good inch away from the small scab from 2 weeks ago. I asked for a bandaid because my stomach looked like mince meat. He put a steri strip over it. As he tried to explain the steri strip I looked at him and said, "Do you know that I am a nurse?" He told me no with kind of a shocked look on his face. He asked me a few questions about that and then he and 1 of the others left the room while the other one listened to my stomach, heart and lungs. I was very upset as I thought about the situation. I didn't say anything but I am thinking of telling the NP when I call her tomorrow. Would anyone else be upset at the lact of personal attention? He didn't even listen when I pointed and told him where he got me last time. Maybe I am just blowing this out of perportion but he could have nicked my tubing. I don't know, but thanks for reading (listening)

Hugs everyone!

I would definately say something to the NP, that is totally unprofessional. Even as nurses if a pt says this is where they stick me you listen who knows best the pt. I probably would have let him try twice then I would have had him stop and get himself together. So sorry you were used for target practice, call the NP and possible look for another fill Dr. Good luck!!

You know I always hate to do the "I'm a nurse thing" because I'm always worried they'll think I'm being a Smarty Pants or something but jeez what a jerk.

No, you're not overreacting-pain hurts nurses too. Add an "amen sister" to what joliesmom said. When a pt tells you I'm a hard stick or this is where they usually get it you listen unless you're a narcisstic dumbass. (whoa where did that come from)

I only do peds and alot of chronic kids with ports-everyone has a sweet spot so to speak and 99% of the time the parent can tell you exactly where it is. Not to mention with most central line ports you can see and feel them (unlike my port which is buried under a lovely cushion)

I never mention that I'm an RN either but I would stop the "attemps" after a 3rd miss and ask for someone else. You have much better control than I do. If I tell the person where to stick and they ignore me, he/she and I would be having a discussion or he/she would be gone.

Definitely mention it to the NP. I hope you're not too sore from that torture session.

I am pretty sore and a bit swollen. At least there is no bruise. The NP is trained to do fills, I am going to either beg her to do it next time or have the other doctor. I would have said something sooner but I didn't realize till the end how far up he was.

Scarand6pokesfrom4thfill.jpg

Here is a pic. You can see most of the pokes up near my scar and down at the bottom you can see 2 spots 1 on top of the other, that is where he should have poked me. The bottom one was where he was dead on.

I just talked to the NP and she said that she would do it next time. She said that he was probably distracted by the other guys. I say thats no excuse, but she said that he is a good guy and wouldn't hurt me like that on purpose, but he won't be doing my fills anymore.

Good for you that you found someone else to do it and won't let him! I would have made him stop after the third time, too. But hopefully now the NP will do much better and you'll be happier. I think NPs are great...I have one as my PCP and feel that they listen better and take more time with you.

Emily

OUCH! That does look sore. It's good that you brought this to the NP's attention and that she'll be doing your fills from now on. I guess she had to try and defend the MD but there is no excuse for disregarding a patients knowledge base. I hope you feel better soon.

I wouldn'y let that Doc touch me again! PERIOD! If the NP can't make the time to do it, I would ask my surgery doc who he would recommend. I also give them one stick, them I ask for someone else. Of course it doesn't hurt that I was a nurse for 17 years, and now make a point of letting them know that I am now an attorney!! Thank usually helps their aim. Best of luck and hugs for future fills! Terri

OMG, that looks sore, thank goodness the NP will do it for you from now on. Hopefully you'll never have to experience that again.

I'm angry FOR you. How presumptuous to bring students in without introducing you or asking your permission. How ignorant to not listen to you, as to where the stick should be. I mean...what did he have to lose by listening to you?

If it were me, I'd write a letter to the doctor who stuck you. You can explain, in your most professional nurse manner, how upset you were by the experience. Not only did was he arrogantly presumptuous but he caused you unnecessary pain. All because of his own ego. (fume, fume)

Most nurses I know appreciate knowing where your best veins are when they draw blood. This is the same thing. Sheeesh.

I wouldn'y let that Doc touch me again! PERIOD! If the NP can't make the time to do it, I would ask my surgery doc who he would recommend. I also give them one stick, them I ask for someone else. Of course it doesn't hurt that I was a nurse for 17 years, and now make a point of letting them know that I am now an attorney!! Thank usually helps their aim. Best of luck and hugs for future fills! Terri

An RN and a lawyer... double threat! LOL.

Hi Mia,

You are not a pin cushion. If a practitioner can hit the spot by 3 tries, then they are not qualified to do fills and can really damage your port and tubing. You have a right to be worried. Keep the pictures. If something happens and your band is damaged, you will have a way to prove how many times you were stabbed by this doc to access the port. Not trying to scare you, just concerned. Please DO NOT let him do another fill on you ever.

Babs in TX

334/180

-150 ish

I'm guessing NP means nurse practictioner?

They don't listen because they are the ones who when to miedical school, not us. What could we possibly know about our own bodies? Every time I hear one of these bad fill stories I'm so very glad for the folks where I was banded. There is none of this "hunting" for your port nonsense.

Lately I've been hearing some very bad doctor stories, very bad.

Unless they insist on knowing exactly what I do or my educational background, I have learned (the hard way) not to tell doctors that I am a nurse unless it comes to a point in my care where I feel I have to tell them. I have had doctors in the past tell me "The only worse thing that you could be is a doctor. Because nurses want what they want when they want it."

Personally, I feel that as a nurse I've been discriminated against. They dismiss my complaints because I have either dreamed them up or expect them to happen to me.

As far as your multitude of sticks, if you so choose to see this doctor again I'd set limits at the outset. Let him know you will only try "x" number of attempts and that's it. If he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it AND you don't get charged. Period, end of discussion. You will not be treated as a human pin cushion and be put at risk for infection, tubing puncture, or worse.

I feel for you as I have been dealing with some bad docs myself. Egomaniacs.

mia - how absolutely awful for you -the pokes look very painful and I'm sure the whole thing was very upsetting for you. I've been in similar situations with docs and didn't speak up but good you did afterwards. You don't deserve that type of treatment. I hope you feel better soon.