Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Eating Get Any Easier?

I'm on my 3rd week post op. Blended and soft foods. I'm only able to get 2 ozs down. Does it get easier later on? I feels like the food I try to eat starts to come back up. Any advice? What were you guys eating at this stage and how much could you keep down? When does it get easier? :unsure:

yes, 100x easier. I eat 100% exactly how I used to (with Protein as my main course) just about 1/3 as much with zero problems. I am 10 months and I have felt like this since 4 months out. the first 3 months are rough but sooo worth it to be at goal

yes, 100x easier. I eat 100% exactly how I used to (with Protein as my main course) just about 1/3 as much with zero problems. I am 10 months and I have felt like this since 4 months out. the first 3 months are rough but sooo worth it to be at goal

Thank you. How much could you eat at this stage. I'm wondering if my sleeve will ever let me eat more than 2 oz...

Yep, what SOS said above. You'll notice at a few months out it's easier, 6 months out a lot easier and a year no effort at all, I just watch how much I eat as I can get sick from eating too much too fast. I am no longer craving stuff constantly and gorging myself, most of my food driven hunger is gone.

I'm at the same post-op time as you are Lisa's Hope and I'm finding that there is very little "mushie" I can eat that sits comfortably right now. I'm temporarily reverting back to full liquids to let things settle down and I'll try again next week. 2-3 ounces is definitely full (and sometimes MORE than full) for me on the "mushies".

I'm sure we will both progress well beyond 2 oz in time. I guess I'm just a slower healer (that's okay, just getting really bored with soup!).

On the bright side, the longer we stay on liquids and soft foods, the more weight we'll lose in the early stages! Looks like we're at about the same amount of weight loss too!

Chin up my dear. We spent many years (for me it was almost my whole life time!) being overweight and/or obese. A few weeks/months now is merely a drop in the bucket on our path to permanent success!

:rolleyes:

Don't worry your time will come. your stomch is still healing. I am almost 6 months out and I still try to have at least 4 oz. meat or cheese at ameal, and then some green veggies, but I am usually full after the Protein first course!

I'm at the same post-op time as you are Lisa's Hope and I'm finding that there is very little "mushie" I can eat that sits comfortably right now. I'm temporarily reverting back to full liquids to let things settle down and I'll try again next week. 2-3 ounces is definitely full (and sometimes MORE than full) for me on the "mushies".

I'm sure we will both progress well beyond 2 oz in time. I guess I'm just a slower healer (that's okay, just getting really bored with soup!).

On the bright side, the longer we stay on liquids and soft foods, the more weight we'll lose in the early stages! Looks like we're at about the same amount of weight loss too!

Chin up my dear. We spent many years (for me it was almost my whole life time!) being overweight and/or obese. A few weeks/months now is merely a drop in the bucket on our path to permanent success!

:rolleyes:

Thanks! Yes, we need to be buddies and talk everyday! :) I guess I'm just worried about everything right now. Strictures, leaks.. etc. I'm a worry wart! I don't like it and I'm sure I drive people crazy on this site...lol BUT.. I don't mean too. I do so appreciate all the info people can give me. Right now, everything I try to eat does feel like it is coming back up and I have acid reflux more since starting this stage. Left side pain too. Although, I did call the Dr. and he said use a heating pad and see if that makes it better. It is better somewhat. I guess I'm just ready to feel better and get past the complication stage. Thanks again and keep in touch with me to let me know how you are doing. :)

Thank you. How much could you eat at this stage. I'm wondering if my sleeve will ever let me eat more than 2 oz...

I was soooo swollen 2oz was my max for a long time, then poof suddenly I felt good. Don't fret!

This is probably the BEST thing I ever read as far as taking out the fear about loss of food.

I will read this again and again in the next...however long it takes (I'm pre-op now).

Yes, it does get easier and very soon! Your new stomach is still quite swollen from the surgery as it heals. So for the first few weeks or first month that you are introducing blended and soft foods, it's going to seem like an impossible task. I remember when eating small curd cottage cheese took me more than hour to eat (1-2oz), and I just ate the same thing with a sliced Tomato as a snack in under 10 minutes.

The healing can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks, for some even longer. As the swelling goes down, you'll notice you're able to eat more easily because the stomach is getting closer to the true capacity you're meant to have for the "new normal" of portion sizes. Take your time, introduce one new thing at a time, and don't get discouraged. If one food doesn't treat you well this week, wait another week or so and try it again. That happened with many foods for me that I'm able to eat regularly now.

What worked for me was keeping foods to 1-2oz for soft solids and no more than 3oz for blended or soft mushy. Chew everything 20-30 times, even the mushy stuff. You have digestive enzymes in your saliva that help break down food and prepare it for the stomach. Take small bites, take long pauses when needed (after every 2-3 bites), try "saucing" your foods with Greek yogurt blends, some homemade marinara sauce, soups/broths so that it's not too dry going down. I preferred fresh, hot rotisserie chicken breast (remove the skin) because it is so juicy versus dried out oven roasted stuff. And it doesn't hurt to reheat or use a little chicken broth to keep it moist. Also, soft/medium tofu is great at this stage. Has the texture of custard in the middle, you can stir fry it or just pan heat it with some herbs and light olive oil.

You are right on target. I'm five weeks out now and finally can eat 4 ounces of yogurt and cottage cheese, but most anything else is still only 2 or 3 ounces (especially dense foods). I added some avocado to my cottage cheese now too (LOVE cottage cheese) and that's really helped with adding some good flavor. But to me, it feels so good to even have just a small amount of something that really tastes good. The Mushie stage was boring to me because there wasn't much I could add to vary the taste buds. Once you get on regular food, hopefully you'll feel better even though you'll still be eating small portions. Hang in there!

Thank you everyone! It really does help me knowing things are progressing normally. :)