Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Definately Need To Get Back To Basics! Warning- Long--- But A Good Probing Question At The End For Everyone!

I was sleeved a year ago last feb. (so about 16 months ago). I stayed with the program of lower carbs/ higher Protein until I hit goal ( about 6-8 months after surgery). During that time, I took up running. Once I hit goal and started upping my distance, I found I needed to also up my carbs to make sure I had the energy to make the distance. I am so proud to say that I have run 2 half marathons this year! But I am sad to say that I have injured my IT band ( a piece of sinew that runs from your hip to your knee and your muscles attach to them). I went for my first long run since the injury today and my injury is still there as bold as ever!!

Anyways, in looking at what I have done to myself ( my leg), I have also realized what I have allowed myself to do. I rationalized that because I was burning it all off, it was okay to eat the crap food that got me fat! Now granted, I have not gained anything back in the 8-10 months since I hit my goal. For that I am proud. I am not proud however, at what I have allowed myself to eat ( as I sit here with a bag of cornchips- which btw- sliiiiiiddddeee right on down with absolutely no resriction). I have not been stupid enough to touch slurpees and pop ( which is/was the absolute center of my addiction)

Truth be told, I truly don't think I'll ever be fat again. Now that I am small ( and still seem to be getting smaller), I ENJOY a good bike ride/ run/ hike/gym routine. It doesn't mean I'm not absolutely petrified of gaining every ounce of it back!!!

I need to take I big ol' look at myself and my routine and start making those healthy choices again. I did so well with logging my food so starting tomorrow, I'll be starting again. I figure if I lay it all out there in front of people who have been where I am, it will help make me accountable for my actions- which was my core reason to have the surgery.

To make me accountable to ME!!

Why did YOU have your surgery???

( and no answers of " to lose weight" because we all know there's more to it!!!

Good for you! Unfortunately, I can't really contribute to your thread since I'm pre-op but it sounds like you're ready to stop rationalizing and get back on track. It's great to hear that even at your stage, there is still work to be done. I think that's much more realistic than thinking everything's perfect once you hit goal. Good luck!

Fern,

interesting post... I am not at goal yet, but I am fighting my way there and still trying! So, although I can honestly say that the bad habits I used to have aren't with me, they do show their ugly head now and again... they pop up for a day or two and I have to fight them away.

However, I can completely relate to your injury issues. SInce having my sleeve, I have done my best to get fit, strong and healthy and in that process I have damaged my back/groin area that has now rendered me unable to train. I am going to physio to try and sort the problem out but I am finding the lack of exercise beyond frustrating. I haven't trained for nearly a month, put on top of that no weight loss for 7 mths and I am finding myself wondering 'what is the point'. I have recognised that this is my old mindset and I have to remind myself that I have done well and I have made a huge difference to my health! But yea, it is a strange place for me at the moment.

I have said it before, but I feel that my body and my mind are battling each other and my body is definately winning by maintaing this weight - my head reacts by getting frustrated and cross as I am still 'obese' on the BMI scale and after all this effort and weight loss that hurts 'emotionally'!

But, to answer your question 'why did I get this surgery?' For me it was a permanent commitment to ME; a commitment that can not be undone - that means that for the rest of my life (and hopefully and longer and happier one) I have to be aware of my diet and health.

I'll be looking forward to reading other responses...

Well first bravo for you for recongnizing that your old habbits were showing up again. Now that you've come to terms with that it sounds like you know what you need to do. No one is perfect but the fact that you are admitting that your not is a great step in the right direction.

I have not yet hit goal but I hear what you are saying I am only 3 months out and alfway to goal and I alreadyvsee bad habits creeping back in to my life fr example chips and soda! I chose this surgery because I had enough if saringat myself in the mirrorcand not knowing the girl who was looking back. My life had become all about food and drink and I was losing who I was as a person. I am now 40+ lbs down and I already feel like me again! Congrats on hitting your goal and I am sure you will stay there you seem very motivated and I am inspired by your success!

I had surgery to lose weight, to get control over my declining health. To gain confidence so I will feel good being social again. To be sexy for my husband and old for my potential grand kids. And I just despise being a plus size.

Hey coops!!

The lack of training was driving me nuts.... Until I decided to do what I COULD do without furthering my injury or pain. The strange thing about an IT band injury is I can't feel it at allunless I run. So I decided to walk..... Alot. I walked 30km today!! I'm very proud!!!

As for you, I was thinking about what you could do without hurting your groin area. What about swimming- with your arms only. Use a tensor or band and strap your ankles together once your in the Water and use it as an upper body only workout. The cardio would be fantasic!!!!

My autobody hubby had a great idea. He has something called a creeper. Its like a plank with wheels that you lay on to work under a car. You could lay on something like that and wheel yourself around using only your arms ( I'd wear gloves for that one). Just trying something new that you CAN do is so satisfying!!! You can do it coops!!!!!

Fern,

interesting post... I am not at goal yet, but I am fighting my way there and still trying! So, although I can honestly say that the bad habits I used to have aren't with me, they do show their ugly head now and again... they pop up for a day or two and I have to fight them away.

However, I can completely relate to your injury issues. SInce having my sleeve, I have done my best to get fit, strong and healthy and in that process I have damaged my back/groin area that has now rendered me unable to train. I am going to physio to try and sort the problem out but I am finding the lack of exercise beyond frustrating. I haven't trained for nearly a month, put on top of that no weight loss for 7 mths and I am finding myself wondering 'what is the point'. I have recognised that this is my old mindset and I have to remind myself that I have done well and I have made a huge difference to my health! But yea, it is a strange place for me at the moment.

I have said it before, but I feel that my body and my mind are battling each other and my body is definately winning by maintaing this weight - my head reacts by getting frustrated and cross as I am still 'obese' on the BMI scale and after all this effort and weight loss that hurts 'emotionally'!

But, to answer your question 'why did I get this surgery?' For me it was a permanent commitment to ME; a commitment that can not be undone - that means that for the rest of my life (and hopefully and longer and happier one) I have to be aware of my diet and health.

I'll be looking forward to reading other responses...

Fern,

thanks for making me smile... I have just had this mental image of me whizzing around my house on my belly!!!

But seriously, I think swimming is a great idea. I have physio tomorrow and I was going to ask her about swimming and other gym ideas. Very similar to you, when it is 'good' it is very good but when it goes - bloody hell I'm in agony!!

I'll let you know what she says =]

30k walking is some distance, just brillant. I think walking is one of the best exercises - good on you my friend!

I am only 2 weeks out, so I have a long way to go still. I find my brain going over how I can manipulate foods that I ate and loved before surgery that are not good for me, mostly when I watch TV and I am flooded with food commercials. I start rationalizing eating those things again because "it will only be a little bit so it won't hurt"

To Answer the question of why did I have this surgery-

1) I love my husband and nieces and nephews too much to kill myself with food and leave them, not getting to see those babies grow up is a big fear, I also want to be able to run and play with them instead of sitting on the sidelines.

2) I want to be able to have babies with my husband, after 3 years of it not happening on our own, I was flat out told that the chances of it happening at my weight are slim if possible at all and that I would be an extreme high risk pregnancy if it did happen. The weight of the guilt I carry for being the reason we don't have children now, is heavier than the extra 200lbs I carry around every day.

Why did YOU have your surgery???

( and no answers of " to lose weight" because we all know there's more to it!!!

Because I was so sick, I didn't ever feel like doing ANYTHING. My work performance had also slipped considerably. On top of that, I wouldn't go to parties or any kind of get together, dinner, concert, beach, amusement park, etc. because

1. I did not have the energy or inclination for it and

2. I was terribly embarrassed about the way I looked.

I LOVE hiking, kayaking, swimming, boating, motorcycle riding, horseback riding, going to amusement parks, going anywhere ...

I could do any of those things. I was riding a Morgan horse who could carry my weight, but I could not ride most other horses. I couldn't fit into booths at restaurants. I couldn't fit into a lot of amusement park rides.

Life was turning into pure crap. Maybe that was okay, because I was dying anyway. I had fatty liver verging on hepatitis, I developed type II diabetes and my blood pressure was through the roof. It was painful to walk on my messed up knee and the plantar fasciitis.

I wanted not only to lose weight but to finally gain control over my never-ending battles with weight which always ended up with me being the loser (ahem, that is gainer) and being heavier than before. I wanted to get rid of that feeling of helplessness because I had come to the realization that I just couldn't do it on my own. I wanted to, for the first time in my life, to feel like a normal person and be able to buy clothes like a normal person. I wanted to stop having to buy a new size every half a year or year and just be able to stick to the same size like most people manage to do for years at a time. I wanted to look good enough to attract a guy, and eventually, when I got married, to wear the wedding dress of my dreams and know I looked good in it.

Oh, and I worried about my health, especially since we have many genetic health issues in our family which are definitely effected by weight. Cancer, cholesterol and heart problems, high blood pressure, and my pre-op blood tests showed me to be in pre-diabetes stage.

I'm only about 14 weeks post-op, so haven't reached any of my goals yet, and yes, am still battling the demons that got me to where I was, but I can already say that I will NEVER be back at where I was. It just isn't going to happen.