Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Exercise Regimen Ideas

I've never really been good at exercising so I need ideas on where to start...I've heard cardio is super important and intend to hit the treadmill and elliptical, but what should I be doing to tone (hoping to reduce the flab).

Low weights, high reps. Seriously, I started with 2 pound weights and 10 reps apiece. That's all I could do. Now I do weights at the gym 3 days a week... and I'm seeing toning and definition. :)

I was amazed at how quickly my upper arms became flabby -- after only losing 2 inches in the arm circumference. I quickly picked up the weights to help combat it, and I saw results in just three weeks. That was a long way of saying, I agree with Lissa. :) Low weights with high reps. I use 3 or 5 pound weights.

I was cleared to use 3lb weight, yay! totally kicked my butt...err arms...yesterday when I did my arm workout. lol.

I found a couple of work out "video" apps that I use on my kindle. Well the only one I can use right now is the arm work out one on there. You can set it for 5-15min work outs or you can kind of create your own by picking the workouts you want to do.

I bought a stability ball, and I really like using it. I do my sit ups sitting on the ball, and I also do my arm exercises when sitting on the ball.

I bought a couple of stability ball workouts, and the ball I bought actually came with a DVD too. I like the 10 minute trainer videos.

I also do Zumba. I absolutely LOVE Zumba. It is a great workout that is fun.

I searched places like Spark People for exercise videos and routines when I first started. I also met with a personal trainer that gave me a lot of ideas for what I can do at home using the equipment I already owned (a treadmill, resistance bands, the stability ball and some hand weights).

I am now looking to buy a weight bench that has a leg lift. I really want to be able to target my butt and the backs of my upper legs, and I feel I need a weight bench to really target that area without going to the gym.

so what weight excersizes to you do? i want a schedule...like doing arms 2x/week maybe, then focusing on abs, then legs and butt, etc.

I do Zumba about 3 times a week but usually more. I do weight lifting as part of that at least once or twice. I also do stability ball and arm exercises 3 times a week or so.

I believe Lissa does arm exercises every day at least 100 reps....

Start with what you can do and add on. I started by sitting on my stability ball and doing arm exercises -- two sets of 15 reps. I've increased since then.

I would sit on the stability ball instead of the couch and do my exercises while watching TV with my family.

I do about 8 different arm exercises.

I don't keep a regular schedule of what to do when. I do something every day, but I do what I can fit in. The closest I come to a schedule is with my Zumba. I have the DVDs, and I alternate between the Exhilarate and Ripped DVDs.

i'm not sure who the reply is aimed at, but my gym is planet fitness. They have a huge section of weight machines that are targeted at all of the major muscle groups. I do that entire section 3 times a week, alternating with an hour of cardio on the non-weight days. On the weight days, I do half an hour at least of cardio. I was doing twice daily cardio, but that did a number on every muscle in my body, so I've scaled back a little bit.

In the beginning, I did 2 pound weights every other day: biceps curls, front arm raises, skull crushers, and triceps kick backs. I started with 10 reps per exercise and built up until I can do 80 reps of each one with a 5 pound weight. It's working.

i'm not sure who the reply is aimed at' date=' but my gym is planet fitness. They have a huge section of weight machines that are targeted at all of the major muscle groups. I do that entire section 3 times a week, alternating with an hour of cardio on the non-weight days. On the weight days, I do half an hour at least of cardio. I was doing twice daily cardio, but that did a number on every muscle in my body, so I've scaled back a little bit.

In the beginning, I did 2 pound weights every other day: biceps curls, front arm raises, skull crushers, and triceps kick backs. I started with 10 reps per exercise and built up until I can do 80 reps of each one with a 5 pound weight. It's working.[/quote']

Lissa, if you can do 80 reps I would move up to 7 or 8s. My trainer told me you want your muscles to be "maxed out" by the final rep. If your able to hit 80 you might not be working your muscles enough anymore. Maybe try 3 sets of 12 using 8s. That will be less time consuming and working on the muscle group that you are targeting.

i'm not sure who the reply is aimed at' date=' but my gym is planet fitness. They have a huge section of weight machines that are targeted at all of the major muscle groups. I do that entire section 3 times a week, alternating with an hour of cardio on the non-weight days. On the weight days, I do half an hour at least of cardio. I was doing twice daily cardio, but that did a number on every muscle in my body, so I've scaled back a little bit.

In the beginning, I did 2 pound weights every other day: biceps curls, front arm raises, skull crushers, and triceps kick backs. I started with 10 reps per exercise and built up until I can do 80 reps of each one with a 5 pound weight. It's working.[/quote']

This is exactly what I do. Start in the warm up room on the stability ball. Crunches, planks and push-ups while on the ball. Then might do a workout. They have on demand videos that I use 3 times a week. Might be zumba, or the one I love, hardcore abs... I know it's working. It hurts lol. After that I make full round of all the weight machines. Low weights lots of reps. We want to tone, not add bulk. So low weights, lots of reps is the only way to go

Star, I'm in the low weights, high reps camp myself.

Fluffy, I know that the trainers say you should be maxed out, and I am by the time I finish my reps. That high weights thing doesn't work for me. I'm toning up well, everywhere except my tummy, but that's a whole different issue. Ourborous did some research on low weights, high reps versus high weights, reps to capacity in another thread. That helped me decide on the way I'm going the weights.

Thanks for all your suggestions and assistance

Yes thank you everyone...your advice has been helpful.

If you have an iPhone there's a Nike training app that gives you 30 minute workouts on target areas it's really cool I'm sure any other smart phone has it as well

If you have an iPhone there's a Nike training app that gives you 30 minute workouts on target areas it's really cool I'm sure any other smart phone has it as well

I have an android...can't find it :(