Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotions All Over The Place

I had my sleve on May 29th and everything is smooth so far but I'm noticing that my emotions are all over the place. Nothing major...just very happy some parts of the day and kind of empty feeling other parts. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that I probably used to using food to make myself feel better before and I can't anymore?

anyone else experience this?

It does have to do with psychological adjustments, but your body is going through a lot of physiological stress too. It is trying to re-regulate after surgery and adipose tissue tends to hide pockets of hormones. As you lose weight, these hormones are rather randomly released back into your body. The combination of the two can have some very strange effects!

Big time for me. The worse part for me was the first day that I was home alone all day because my husband went back to work after taking the week of surgery off to be with me. I was just a wreck the day he went to work, I didn't know what to do with myself.

I have also been having days where I just don't want to eat/drink anything (other than water) because I have been kind of feeling pissed off at food, sounds kind of silly I know, but it had been my "best friend" and my pain medication for over 20 years and now I can't have the same relationship. I know that there are others here that will get what I am trying to say, I don't know how to put it in words. Never really realized how much I used food to self medicate until I started this whole process and therapy. The thing I turned to is the thing that was killing me, but my head still tries to tell me I need it.

I, literally, eat my feelings. No other way to say it. food is my ultimate companion for boredom, stress, fear...you name it. But that use is so compelling...so strong...and so habitual, I knew I needed restriction (for a period of time) to break the cycle. Now, with the help of a therapist, I'm focusing on finding new habits and coping skills that "normal" people use for those feelings. I knew it was a problem, but the surgery really showed me how bad it was...when I get through the moments of mourning food and being pissed I can't have what I want, I can step back and get some satisfaction that it just proves I needed this to break the cycle. At least that's what I'm telling myself (and my therapist ;))! So the first six months for me are about weight loss and learning to use the sleeve, sure...but it's REALLY about a small window of opportunity to change the role food plays in my life and find healthier ways to work out whatever crap I've gone going on. So, I totally and completely get it!