Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking while eating poll

How often do you drink with your meals?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you drink with your meals?

• I ALWAYS drink with my meals.
    • I SOMETIMES drink with my meals.
    • I RARELY drink with my meals.
    • I NEVER drink with my meals.

well it looks like i need to try harder. Its good to know that a sip or 2 is okay, that should help me through....

My doctor says you can drink right up to the 1st bite of food and then wait an hour after eating before drinking again. I find that this actually gets easier to do as I go along - a lot of it is just habit!

I follow the rules very carefully and I don't think my weight loss is any better than yours!

I drink right up until my meal and then wait at least 90 minutes after the meal to drink. I'm a newbie, but I started this practice on my pre-op diet (low carb, low fat). I did have to have a sip of Water, though when I ate at a Mexican restaurant and the pico de gallo was so HOT. I took a sip as my mouth was burning...lol. I then proceeded to scoop that stuff out of the dip I was eating (on mushies).

I drink right up until I have my meal. Then no drinking during or for one hour afterwards. I thought I would have a really tough time with this, but it has actually been pretty easy. If I am having something really hot/spicy, I may take a small sip, but not usually because it seems to hurt.

If I drnk at all during eating the food comes right back up. The food I eat always comes up anyway but even more so if I drink. I am having a problem

I get sick a few times a day went to my pmd and had some blood work done to check everything out but she thinks I should have it losened cause I can have some severe problems with my esophpgus and she gave me medication to help with that. I don't wanna loosen it cause I finally started to loose and my weight lose is kinda slow.

May 22-215

Today-194

If I drnk at all during eating the food comes right back up. The food I eat always comes up anyway but even more so if I drink. I am having a problem

I get sick a few times a day went to my pmd and had some blood work done to check everything out but she thinks I should have it losened cause I can have some severe problems with my esophpgus and she gave me medication to help with that. I don't wanna loosen it cause I finally started to loose and my weight lose is kinda slow.

May 22-215

Today-194

I, too, am having trouble trying to get my fluids in if I only drink when I am supposed to. I've been drinking with my meals, but I am trying to stop. I would definately say, that in my case, the drinking probably IS slowing my weight loss. I'm not full for very long and I'm losing very slowly.

I drink warm Water before I eat. Then I baby sip sometimes but not much because if I do I have an immediate feeling of a pb coming on. We jsut came back from a cruise and the way we ate in the dinning rooms worked

so well. WE would get a course and wait 15 min or so and then get the next cours and so on. Worked good. I also sipped a little wine in between. That seemed okay too. Maybe I need more wine?? Ha! However drinking much during meals is not my norm. My doc says it washes the meal through to fast and then hunger returns sooner.

However I do have a few sips if what I am eating foods that are a

little harder to eat(dry chicken etc.)

I have had a few sips of drinks during meals when at a restaurant but it's under 5 times and never at home.

At home I seem to be able to do it - I just don't have a glass of anything on the table nesxt to me.

I wait one hour after meals and am about 85-90% successful at that - if I' m dying of thirst, have eaten something real spicy or salty I'll crack after 20-45 minutes. I'm realizing I'm not very good at keeping any rules 100%.

Oh yeah, and my thought at night is - if i eat at 7:00 or 7:30 and go to bed at 9:30-11:00 and i'm not going to eat ANYTHING until morning - what's the big deal? Even if I wash food out of my pouch I'll suffer.

Sometimes I don't have any liquids after dinner and other than I don't get up at night very much to use the bathroom any more - I wake up dying of thirst.

I'm with the majority...don't drink with my meals but I do drink right up until eating time because I've found this has no effect whatsoever on my hunger levels later on. Took a while but like the chewing thing, I just trained myself to do it and now it's easy.

I always drink with my meals. I can't help it. I feel like I'm going to choke if I don't. I've always been that way.

i drink 30 min or more after. One time i ate something really hot and sipped on some juice and i almost threw up. so i will not be eating and drinking.

I will drink up to a meal, never during the meal, and wait about 3/4 -1 hour after the meal.:D

I also dont drink with meals- usually stop drinking 10-15 min before meals, then wait 1/2 hour to hour to start drinking again per docs orders :D Its not sooo bad... If I do drink with a meal I get the golfball- haven't pbed yet, but I almost did! It hurt !