Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Start Taking Vitamins?

Hi all~

I am 7 days post op and was wondering when I should start taking my Vitamins. I had my surgery done in TJ and they werent really clear on when I should start taking them. I really dont want to start getting deficient in any of my vits or minerals. Any advice?

Corinna

I was confused on this too. I have surgery on the 4th and they made me quit all my Vitamins so I wasn't sure when I'm allowed back on them.

I definitely would like to get on the multi-Vitamin, Biotin and b-12 as soon after surgery as I can.

My surgeon had me start multi-vitamins after three days, and B-12 (sublingual) about five days after that. They are chewable biatric Vitamins. I also started powder form calcium citrate which I added to my Water in the morning. When I started purees I also added a chewable Iron, and B-12 Vitamin at lunch time. I'm four weeks out and this week started adding back in Vitamin D, Zinc and Biotin, since they are small. I still cut the Zinc though as those tablets are still a little large for me to get down at once. I want to add in the Fish Oil and Evening Primrose Oil but those capsules are pretty large and I can't cut them or chew them so I'm still waiting to get clearance from my surgeon for those. Other than chewable vitamins, I would check with your doctor to determine when you can take them.

Thanks so much for that information newfoundlove. I am on day 10 of pre-op shakes and I was forced to stop on Sunday my flaxseed oil (for my dry eyes and heart) and my glucosamine chondritan, Calcium, magnesium, vit. d, zinc, Multivitamin & my furosemide (Water pill).

Yesterday I had a hissy because I gained 2 pounds in one day on 3 shakes...really? I was more tired yesterday than any day so far but I completely forgotten that Sunday I quit taking my Vitamins and Water pill and I'm sort of suffering because of the lack of Vitamins and I have water retention because of how much water I drink and I have not had water pills.

All I can think of is I can't wait to get on my Multivitamin and my flaxseed and glucosamine because my joints, eyes and body is suffering already lol.

Definitely start asap. I purchased my Vitamins and started them with my pre-op diet. The more nutrients you get in your body the better!! Good Luck! :)

Thanks so much for that information newfoundlove. I am on day 10 of pre-op shakes and I was forced to stop on Sunday my flaxseed oil (for my dry eyes and heart) and my glucosamine chondritan, Calcium, magnesium, vit. d, zinc, multivitamin & my furosemide (Water pill).

I didn't have to stop any Vitamins before surgery, but every surgeon requires something different. How about drinking Vitamin Water, that might help. Also, check with your surgeon and see if he will allow you to take the chewable bariatric Vitamins during your pre-op. I really can't see why he wouldn't let you. You would take them with a Protein drink and they absorb into the system, so I can't see why they would be of harm. They also make liquid glucosamine so maybe he'll let you take that as well. I know the B-12 is an under the tongue Vitamin that dissolves and gives you energy, so I would ask that you be allowed that one too.

I was told not to take anything a week before my surgery, i quit them all Sunday. I'm wondering why.