Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone 63 or older? 19 days B4 & getting a little scared

I have observed what I eat for the last month and I am eating a big plateful once or twice a day. HOW in the world could 1/2 cup 3 times a day provide enough nourishment? I don't want to weaken myself or cause malnutrition. I am overweight, (about 90 pounds) but I have always fed myself good, fresh, food (not junk at all). I have low carbed it and been eating fresh veggies, lost of salads, fresh fruit, etc., dense whole wheat bread only. (good eating habits, I am healthy, but don't lose weight) Will my face wrinkle up? (i have good skin and look a lot younger now) -- geeesh -- there are a lot of things to be unsettled about. My Mom @ 89 is skrinking to almost nothing since she is not hungry ever, and she has become a tiny little thing, and she was always as big as me. I am going to be willingly doing to myself (starving) what has happened to her because of age and sickness? Do I have a right to volunteer for something that might weaken me? All this fight to get the procedure approved, the time off, etc., (all which went smoothly) and now I get scared.

In the picture - on the Island of Molokai- My two girls & me on the left.

post-203973-13813131241732_thumb.jpg

Hi Sunny -

You are NOT going to be eating 1/2 cup of food three times a day. I don't care what anyone else says - there is NO WAY you can get the calories/nutrients/fiber you need on 1.5 cups of food a day. NORMAL people do NOT eat 1.5 cups of food per day. You know this - one of your daughters is a normal weight.

The purpose of this surgery is to reduce your hunger, and the quantity that you can consume. You mother is wasting away because she is never hungry, and therefore does not eat. The band will not take away ALL of your hunger - just the hunger that most of us experience as a 24/7 thing. Once you start getting restriction after your fills, you will get hungry, eat, and then be full/satisfied for 3-5 hours afterwards.

The band makes it possible to eat less without feeling hungry or deprived.

You are NOT going to be starving yourself! You are just going to be eating less. You are not going to FEEL like you are eating less.

You will do fine - don't worry!

I have two other very normal daughters, five normal grandchildren, 4 normal great grandchildren . . . One daughter and I are the only overweights out of the whole family-- plus our husbands are all very slim. Mine, in particular, eats carbs like you would not believe, (I make him buy them and stash them himself!) but has weighed 180-190 at 6'1" for twenty years. So it is not that we cook ourselves fat or everyone else would be too! Just she and have a weight problem and I started her off with Weight Watchers with me when she was 10. We both eat no JUNK, no Desserts and no fried and basically low carb it and have for years-still we are both big. She has not had any luck with two insurance companies and has been trying for two years to get approved. I feel a little guilty that mine came through so easily! She was supposed to go first and I was supposed to cheer her on!

Donali hit the nail on the head so I have no input there.

You, 63 yeah right!!!! I don't beleive that one bit! :cool:

I will reinterate what Donali said, you will not waste away nor starve yourself.....

It's so funny that the whole 4oz topic came up. I was thinking about that earlier today. I normally make a plate with a little of this and a little of that and eat until I feel satisfied. Like tonight it was brocolli and cheese, beef tips w/ rice I had a little over a tablespoon of all three and I felt satisfied, so I didn't go back for more...But through this whole journey, I have never felt starved or deprived.

Birdee!