Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, everybody! Great site - I'm so excited to join!

About me:

I started looking into lap-band a few weeks ago, and everything has been a blur since. I have attended an informational seminar, briefly met a bariatric surgeon, and checked on my insurance (does cover with medical necessity). I have my first "official" consolt on Thursday (8/24) with the surgeon I am hoping will do the surgery.

I am kind of a special case, too, because I have Crohn's disease. As you might know, gastric bypass cannot be done on Crohn's patients (due to inflammation in the intestines), and many surgeons won't do lap-band on Crohn's patients, either (I was flat-out denied by two surgeons via email, based on this fact). However, my Crohn's disease is limited to my terminal ileum (lower end of small intestines - where it and large intestines meet), so I didn't really see why I should be outright excluded. I was lucky to find (the only lap-band) surgeon in my area who said he would consider patients on a case-by-case basis. Hopefully he will be willing to do the surgery because I'm ready!

Like all of you, I have tried tons of diets in the past: Weight Watchers, liquid diets, physician-directed diets, exercise, Atkins, etc., and while I do lose weight, it never stays off. Worse, I usually gain back twice what I lost. It pains me to say that I am at my all-time high of ~300 lbs - hopefully this will be my lifetime high, too.

I have a lot of motivation to lose weight. I have been with the most wonderful guy in the world for 5 years, and we (I) have been putting off getting married because I didn't want to be overweight on my wedding day. Also, we are both getting into our late 20s/early 30s and want to start a family someday pretty soon, and there are risks to both mother and baby from being obese, not to mention that I might first run into fertility problems from being overweight.

I am also applying to medical school next year, and I know that, officially, weight discrimination, or discrimination of any kind, is not allowed in admissions, but unofficially I think it happens often. I don't want my weight to keep me from my dream of becoming a physician, especially when I meet all the other qualifications. Also, I want to set a good example to my own patients down-the-road, by managing my own health well.

While I'm pretty lucky that my overall health is good, besides the Crohn's, I don't have the physical stamina that a 28 year-old should have. I can't walk far without getting winded, and I have to sit down often. I can't exercise for long, and I avoid the gym from feelings of embarrassment. Not only that, but I also have gotten to the point, lately, where I avoid social gatherings altogether, under the guise of needing to "study" (even on Fri/Sat nights). It's not fair to my friends or my boyfriend, who, despite my protests, often stays home with me out of guilt. I have back pain, fatigue, sleep apnea, pre-diabetes, and several other conditions common to obese persons that I am hoping to overcome.

I understand that the surgery can only take place after the patient has proven to be on a physician-directed diet for 6 months. I think that would, optimistically, put me at early- to mid-February 2007 for my procedure, assuming no other obstacles in the meantime. Since I've become sure that I want this procedure, my B/F and I have been looking at getting married in fall, in late September. Does anyone know what is the average weight loss over the 6-month period following the surgery?

I'm looking forward to talking more with all of you and hearing your stories, as well.

I wish you the best on your own weight loss goals! :)

~Peanut

WELCOME Peanut!! Sounds like you have got a lot going on. Congrats on finding a doc, your upcoming marriage, and your incredibly bright future.

Hope to see you around a lot!

Brenda

hi there Peanut,

welcome to the board you should find lots of great information and help here.

As for your question about weight loss, every one is different, I'm not even sure there is an avg. Most doctors say 1 to 2 lbs a week. I was banded at the end of April and have lost around 20lbs which puts me on the low end of the avg. (17 weeks out) I could have probably lost more if I was more careful with what I eat and if I exercised more but I'm hoping that will change soon. :guess

There are some people here who have lost 50 and even close to 100lbs in 6 months, so I think it really depends on people individually and how committed you are. If you diet like you have never dieted before the band can take you a lot farther then when you were unbanded, but if you slip back into old habits you will see the weight loss going very slow.

Also there are several people on here that are turtles (slow losers) for medical reasons. Many have other medical conditions that make it very difficult for them to lose at the normal 1 to 2lb per week rate. So there are many different variables.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your status!

Welcome Peanut and congratulations on everything. I have been losing at about 1.5 pounds per week. I was banded in March. Many others have lost much faster, some slower. It will all depend on you. Were any of your previous weight loss attempts followed by a physician? If so, you may be able to use that for your 6 month diet and get banded sooner. Best of luck to you.

Hi Peanut,

Welcome to this great site! I joined just recently, and have found so many posts that have made me anxious to become "a member of the band". Unfortunately, like you I have to go on a 6-month diet first, and feel really frustrated because I am motivated to get banded NOW. Is that how you feel? Good luck on your wedding planning! At least getting your "wedding" band will keep you busy while you wait to get your "lap" band!! Congratulations!

Karen

I just joined also. I met with my surgeon today and I am very happy. I found him on Internet so I was nervous. I did not attend a group meeting.

I am calling a cardiologist tomorrow to schedule a visit and stress test to be cleared for surgery. Also have a scope set for Sep 15th.

Doc said it would take 30 to 60 days for surgery to be approved and scheduled. I hope it continues to work like this.

I want to be a turtle and lose on low end. However, I have decided to follow instructions and do exactly what I am told. The Doc said he would probably use a small lap band or medium at most. I have no clue what that means.

Anyway good luck and this forum looks like an answer to my prayers.

Welcome Pete! Wow, you are on the fast track towards getting banded. I am jealous! I didn't know there were sizes for the band! Can anyone explain that?

Yes, I think this is a wonderful site, also. I have learned so much and I have only been a member for a couple of weeks. I can't wait to keep reading and learning! Good luck with your pre-surgery process and keep in touch!

Karen

Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome! :scalesno:

I'm really excited to be a new member of this site.

Thanks K@t and Ralheit for sharing your info/advice with me. Congratulations on all your progress!!

L8bloomR - I feel the same way! It is frustrating! It seems counterintuitive to be on a "diet" for 6 months, when the rationale for the diet is that traditional diets don't work for us.