Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Nastiest Stuff I Have Ever Put In My Mouth

I was just given this blue contrast dye for my leak test. Wow I don't think I can do it. It's awful.

yeah i remember my first barium swallow or was that the upper gi? anywho they give you this gross stuff and say swallow, then you are on a table and they move that to a horizontoal position, then make you roll over. i almost tossed the proverbial Cookies that day.

hang in there!

I was given clear liquid for my leak test & just had to stand in front of a board, which was kind of like an x-ray thing. I got to see the live shot of the liquid going down. It didn't taste that bad to me.

Guess I got lucky!

When did u guys have to do leak tests? I'm 2 weeks out and haven't heard of this.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

MG, they should have done a leak test about 24hrs after surgery. You didn't have to drink a special liquid or anything?

I just placed a call to my surgeon's office who is of course out of the office.... but before I left the hospital I didn't have a leak test. I believe and his staff believes he does the leak test right after surgery and if there are no problems then he doesn't do another. I should know for sure on Tuesday

I never had a leak test like that. Before they stitched me up and pulled the little camera out, my surgeon but my stomach under Water and did his leak test that way.

When did u guys have to do leak tests? I'm 2 weeks out and haven't heard of this.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

A lot of surgeons dont do a leak test. Mine didnt. I was happy not to have to swallow that crap. Dont worry about it. Surgeons are all different in their diet requirements, the use of bougies, swallow tests, etc. My surgeon does not use a bougie, no drains, no swallow test. I am 9.5 months out and no problems. Its just a difference in surgeons preference. Mine said you are too swollen at that point for a leak to show anyway but I am not knocking those drs who do them by any means.

No, never had to do one. My surgeon said he did the test during surgery.

Hey candyman i have pictures of that stuff it was soooooo nasty I felt like i was drinking windex cuz it looked like it too... your tongue is going to be blue for a few days... But I made it through LOL and i'm glad he does so many leak tests.. he does two when you are done with surgery then you have the blue drink... then before you leave the hospital you'll go downstairs and drink the clear stuff.. thank goodness you don't have to drink all that.. just until they can see it going down and through your sleeve... good luck the worst part is over... hope you loved Dr. Ponce i know i did... and trish loved her...

OH! That was SO VERY VERY VERY BAD!. I had had a rough night of nausea anyway, but then a major break through and I felt great! Took a sponge bath, did my walking and could hold a nice conversation with a smile on my face (can't do that stuff when I'm on the edge of yakking non-stop). Then they came for me and my leak test. Knew it would taste bad, but was looking forward to ICE CHIPS!! Couldn't have anything for the past 12 hours, at that point. OH, it was so much worse than I thought it would be and I ended up throwing it up, right then and there! Thank goodness for a quick nurse and baggie!! I think I'd die if I had to do that again!

Laughing my butt off thinking back to that, now. It was almost 9 weeks ago and seems like I'm a lifetime away from that!!

Cheers!

Hmm never heard about this. Never had a leak test and I'm 5 months out...guess my doc was confident

Dr Pronce and Trish were great. Overheard Trish and two ladies talking about pedicures. I said I want one and Trish said sure. Then I said just kidding.

I wish some buddy would have told me about the TV stations here at the INT hospital. I would have brought some DVD's

I was just given this blue contrast dye for my leak test. Wow I don't think I can do it. It's awful.

I feel u I threw up but at the same time the biggest burp came to .and after that all I thought of that dye every time I drank everything

The stuff I had for my leak test was not blue, I think it was the clear stuff others are talking about, but it was FOUL. I was already pretty nauseous just knowing I'd have to swallow it, and seeing how much... when I could barely sip any Water... oh, it was bad. They had me standing up on that platform and told me to take a big gulp and I was like, "Yeah... I'm going to throw up now." And they gave me the bucket but somehow I didn't. Same thing for the second sip. Oh God, I'm sick just thinking of it.

Luckily once it's done it's done. At least the stuff I took didn't hang in my mouth forever, I was able to rinse the flavor out fairly easily.