Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since my surgery (4/30/12), my gag reflex has been awful. I can't brush my tongue without gagging &/or vomiting. How long will this last?

did you have a bad gag reflex prior to surgery and this made it worse? I'm curious to hear the responses to your question. I have a bad gag reflex already, brushing my tongue is out of the question... makes me gag just thinking about it.

No I did not. I've always been able to brush my tongue, but now it's not an option. I just pray this doesn't last forever; brushing my tongue is routine.

I would imagine it will return to normal. I haven't read any other posts on the site about people having an increased gag reflex. Did you have a hiatal hernia fixed with the surgery? I could see that being a contributing factor. I would just give it time and it the mean time use a lot of listerine :)... that stuff will burn just about anything out of your mouth.. LOL.

Hmm... I had a bad gag reflex before with that stuff, but I've not noticed it getting worse.

If I hold sonething in my mouth (like a PEN, you pervs) and don't think about it, I'm fine. As soon as I think about it I will gag. I gag brushing my teeth if I don't keep adding in Water to keep the toothpaste foam thinned. I can't even think about brushing my tongue. Maybe the tip of it, if I stick my tongue out of my mouth. I gag if I see a "loogey" on the ground, or if I see someone spit. Even the dentists's little saliva sucker thing can make me gag if I let myself really notice it's there.

One thing you migh find has an affect is the way mucus drains. Lots of drainage can bother regular stomachs, and ours are definitely no longer normal. I haven't had a cold yet, but it'll be interesting to see how the drainage is managed.

good point on the drainage. I have horrible sinus issues, so if that's the case then I'm sure I will experience the same thing right away. I'll be sure to report back if so. Doesn't sound fun though, I hate gagging.

I've been having horrible gag reflexs as well. I'm exactly one month post-op and everytime I eat or drink ANYTHING I will develop thick saliva and it makes me want to throw up!! :/ is this normal?

is anyone else going through this?

Most of the time the thick saliva ("slime") comes from eating too much or, in my case, too fast. It was most severe for me between month 1 and 2, but has scaled way back now after 3. Yes, it does pass but do remember to chew chew chew and measure measure measure your portions. I still can only do about 3 oz of solid Protein in a serving. I do not try and have more than that because 3 oz is enough and I am so done with sliming and throwing up from my eating habits. I guess it was good in a way to help me build healthy new eating habits (still working on the slow part). If you can help it, follow the advice of posters and bypass it altogether! :)

Most of the time the thick saliva ("slime") comes from eating too much or' date=' in my case, too fast. It was most severe for me between month 1 and 2, but has scaled way back now after 3. Yes, it does pass but do remember to chew chew chew and measure measure measure your portions. I still can only do about 3 oz of solid Protein in a serving. I do not try and have more than that because 3 oz is enough and I am so done with sliming and throwing up from my eating habits. I guess it was good in a way to help me build healthy new eating habits (still working on the slow part). If you can help it, follow the advice of posters and bypass it altogether! :)[/quote']

I gagged just reading this haha

My gag reflex is very strong - pre-surgery. The nut said to drink something very warm first thing in the morning to clear mucous.