Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Red Meat???

We have recently switched to ground turkey and are loving it. We had turkey burgers for dinner tonight. I had 1/2 of one with a little bit of gravy on it and some broccoli. My family had them on a hamburger bun with cheese and stuff on them. I but the turkey store patties that are pre-seasoned and they taste really good. I do ok with red meat but prefer turkey. I do occasionally get a taste for a good steak and I will pick up some rib-eye and make it on the grill, med-well and I melt blue cheese on it and serve it with spicy A-1, hits the spot and it's tender without being chewy or stringy. ~Mandy

My Mom's been tellin' me to try turkey or chicken ground up? Forgot what one hehe I must have REALLY been listening hu :eek:

Nana~

I will try it :)

actually most stores have both. I like the turkey better but make sure it is the lean mostly white meat. The dark meat is just as high in fat as lean ground beef, so beware. The chicken is great if it has a sauce of some kind but it tends to be a bit dry. I make chili with a combo of beef, chicken and turkey. I just have to add extra Tomato sauce to keep it from being to thick and dry. Also ground turkey makes the BEST spagetti sauce I have ever had. Just becareful if you make lasagna or manacotti use lots of sauce, the leaner meats tend to absorb the sauce and then the dish is left dry. The Turkey store website ( http://www.jennieoturkeystore.com/ ) has tons of recipies for ground turkey ~Mandy

I hag surgery 7-13-06.LastThursday I had sirlion tips W/mushroom gravey baked potato, salad. Half of a sirlion tip 4 bites salad and BP. Threw up 10 times once.right in front of the bakery goods.So no red meat for me. It's just not worth it. Take care and good luck.

:biggrin1: Mandy,

I have been wanting to use more turkey,so thanks so much for the web site,it sounds great.Going to check it out. Thanks

If I have to give up red meat I will be in mourning. Filet is the most tender cut- it wont take much - so the price wont be a deterant. I grew up on beef as my GF was a cattle rancher! I guess with change comes adjustment!

I was banded June 8th. I tried steak for the first time last night and couldn't get past the first bite. I chewed the heck out of it but it just didn't work. Lost the first bite and everything else I ate with it, tried one more just to be sure and the same thing happened.

So far I have had no problem with very thinly sliced red meat like deli meat, bread that was very toasted, Pasta, eggs, some cheese, most veg....no broccoli or cauliflower, salad is okay well chewed. Still experimenting but until I get my next fill I'm actually afraid to eat. With some meals I feel full very quickly, with others I feel like I could continue to eat maybe 3 times the portion I should be.....I have been watching the scale move downwards for months now and afraid of disturbing that. I have my 4th and hopefully last fill this coming Thurs and I think that will help me finally reach maximum restriction.

Carol

I was chicken...I didn't try red meat until just last week. (Banded almost 5 months.) I wanted to try a really tender cut so I chose filet mignon. (I know it has the most fat but that's why it's tender!) Anyway, it went well but I had to be really careful to chew, chew, chew. My point is...I agree with the others-I'd say it's too soon to try it. But, hang in there-you'll have it again soon!