Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Met With The Surgeon Today!

The surgeon was great, she answered every question I had and did not make me feel rushed! She spent an hour and a half with me. She did tell me that after my upper GI and barium swallow, they found I had "mild tertiary contractions in the distal esophagus." From what the surgeon said, the sphincter between my stomach and esophagus has mild contractions other then when I swallow. There is no evidence of gastric reflux though.

She was strongly suggesting that I have RNY (which is not an option for me - it seems much too extreme) but also said that she would do the sleeve. Her concern was that i would have a lot of acid reflux after surgery. I asked her if she ever performed a surgery on someone with a similar condition and she said that she has not.

Anyone out there with a similar situation? How did you do? Any extra acid reflux after surgery?

I'm not in the same situation, but my surgeon said that if I had a lot of reflux, he wouldn't suggest the sleeve because the sleeve can aggravate and increase reflux. I only use Zantac once a month or less, so he said he thought I'd be okay with the sleeve & so far I have been, but I'm only 9 days out from surgery so far. Hopefully someone else who has been in a similar situation can share some thoughts.

I have gerd and my surgeon still did the sleeve. Just still have to take prilosec every day like i already have been. Maybe take it twice a day when it's acting up. :)

I have gerd and an autoimmune disease that effects swallowing. I'm almost 5 months out and my reflux was pretty bad at the start but it has gotten better. I've been taking nexium for several years now and zantac since surgery. I take them twice a day. Per my surgeon,,getting ready to cut back on the zantac, don't need it anymore. So for me, it has gotten better.

See, that's the strange thing. I dont have GERD, acid reflux or anything like that. I maybe have to take a tums or two once or twice a month after eating someting spicy or if I eat a lot of onions and peppers. I think I am going to go ahead with the sleeve (scheduled in August)!

Strange that she would advise you against the sleeve if she's never had a patient with the same condition as you. I would ask a GI what they think? Just a suggestion. I'm surprised she isn't sending you to one when they had a finding with your results. I would do all the research I could before making a decision.