Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from NY area??

I was banded on August 9th by Dr Vinces in Port Jervis NY. As I look through this site I notice the majority of people are from out west. I wanted to see if their were any more locals. I have some questions as well talking to some of the people who have been banded in support groups it seemed most people did not have to have tummy tucks and the skin kinda just went back so to say. But reading on here it looks like alot of people say after the weight loss they need a Tummy Tuck. I'm 26 and don't want to have to have another surgery. Also it seems like my Dr is very strict when it comes to the post op diet. I hear alot of people talking about the foods they are eating 1 week after surgery, I'm still on a liquid diet and wondering why such different diets are out their. Well i would love to hear from others :mad:

Hey...glad to see someone else from NY on also, I live in the Bronx right now. I am scheduled to have my surgery on Aug 28th in southern Connecticut, kinda excited, but kinda nervous also. I can't really comment on the Tummy Tuck question, cause i haven't even had the surgery yet, but i'm 26 also, and praying i won't have to have anymore surgeries following this one, but we'll see what happens. For my post op diet, i have a week of Clear Liquids, a week of full liquids, then can move on to mushie/pureed food for a week. It sounds strict, but its worth it to heal up well. Jillian:cool:

Well Congrats to you on getting ready to be banded its nice to chat with locals. Hopefully we can all keep up with each other. I am very happy with how things have gone so far I go back to my Dr on the 29th and then I'm on to mushies YEAH and I can't wait to see how much weight I've lost since the 14th ( my last appt) at that date I was already down 10.5lbs since surgery on the 9th. Well keep us informed as your getting ready for your surgery date and Good Luck

I live in Suffolk County; my doctor is in Nassau. They are other LI'ers here, and some city banders too.

My doctor also has a pretty strict post-op diet: I *think* it is about 5 weeks before solids are introduced. (Im being banded on 9/21). Which reminds me I need to add the post-op diet phases to my calendar or I am bound to forget!

Port Jervis is near PA, right?

Hey JGANDG yes port jervis is close to PA. Yeah I think its about 5 weeks total before I have and solids. Well Good Luck to you on your surgery!! Can't wait to hear how your doing

I'm also on Long Island. I did 2 weeks of full fluids post-op and then 2 weeks of a soft diet and got solids at 5 weeks out. Good luck to those who are soon to be banded.

I live in Suffolk county too!! I hang around the August Band Crew board, but mostly read, I haven't posted to much. I am packing right now for the airport, I'll be leaving in the morning out of Macarthur. My surgery is with Dr. Ortiz in MX on Thursday 8/24. I am a self pay because I really could not deal with jumping thru insurance hoops. I'm very comportable with the desicion, but I have had a real hard time the the pre-op diet, to add to all the gross liquids, I'm sooo premenstrel I could sell one of my kids for a bagel! I hope I will be o.k. with the surgery, I keep having dreams that when I get there they turn my away because I didn't follow directions or lose weight.I know if this was any other time of the month I could have fought the "food demons" that are screaming at me to pull into the drivethru a little bit better-but I've got the PMS real bad. Anyway, I was just going to intoduce myself, not go on like this! Good luck to all of us-maybe we should start a 'Big Apple' thread! lol! Nice to meet you all!....Chrissie

Elisabeth-- thanks for stoppin by here It sounds like your doing pretty good too! 49lbs is great!! Keep up the good work:clap2:

Good Luck to you Chrisse I'm sure everything will work out ok I'm surprised at why you are going so far away for the surgery. Is it cheaper in MX? Well hope to hear how your doing and we'll all have to keep in touch with each other and their progress.:)

HI pebbles... yeah I think its less expensive from waht I hear of the costs, but everything is less out of New York! But really I was researching on the net about the prosedure and starting reading more and more of the surgeons in Mexico ( and of course-my first thought was NO WAY!!) but the doctors there have done way more sugeries than in the US and I didn't have to go thru all the insurance stuff like I said before. I wasen't going to fight with them over if obesity was a disease or get a pyshic. evaluation! (I know exactly how nuts a I'm) I didn't need a stranger to tell me 'try harder' or your weight loss efforts have to be documented etc,etc. Plus, I am 5'5" and 214lbs my BMI is 34- would you believe some doc.s think thats not fat enough?! Iam really confidant in the desicion to go to MX-but I am starting to ask myself if I can make such a big commitment to AFTER- like if Im going to be the 2% that fails or streatch me new stomach- but like I said I am soooo PMSing right now, maybe its my hormones talking right now.

And contrats to your weight loss thats great! and to Elisabethsew WOW! your both an inspiration! keep up the good work!

fellow new yorker here! just wanted to say hi! i'm pretty sure that i won't be getting a TT but my boobs look terrible, i can't really blame that on the surgery lol. they looked terrible before. but i'm definitely getting those puppies (aka hound ears) fixed!

Hey Niche Congrats on your weight loss and glad to hear no TT needed! Good luck with the hound ears, i must say mine too are already pretty saggy.. LOL

i am from rochester! and having big trouble finding a fill doctor that will take me since i am a self pay and had the surgery in mexico

Pebbles -

I used to live in Milford, PA - just over the bridge( ~1mi from PJ), but now in MI....I was shocked when I saw that people were being banded in Port Jervis....didn't think anyone else in the world knew where that was...ha!

........miss it out there...

Good luck to you!