Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from NY area??

Pebbles--thanks for the post, remind me...did you get your 1st fill yet?

I gotta tell ya pebs, I REALY admire your conviction and dedication to this whole process!!!!! Out of all the people I read on both boards, you are at the top of the game. Thanks for the cheering up I really love that there's this whole group "out there" that understands how Im feeling. It does help alot when I get so frustrated. Like I said I knew going into this that the first 6weeks where for healing not losing, but I can't help being disapointed in having NO restriction what so ever. I have decieded not to go near the scale again untill after my fill (10/2) and I've been reading that even after the 1st fill, it might take more like 3-4 before you really start losing??!! crap...this is going to take alot more patience than I have.

But I wanted to tell you, you can still go out to dinner with your friends and family and enjoy yourself without so much worry. My husband and I own 3 retaurants and believe me we are very used to accomidating special requests. I know that most places,even chian eateries, will have no problem offering you something made for you. Remember when your out that there are alot of reasons people choose a different meal, diabetics have special requests w/sugar, people w/ high cholest. or ^blood pressure can't have salt,etc. believe me, there are a million different reasons and a million different requests out there!! I had one woman tell me she could'nt drink THE WATER!! (said it tasted "funny") & to bring her another one!!! so with a smile on my face...I replaced her Water with another from the same exact pitcher and viola..THAT water was good!! MY point is, PLEASE don't fell ackward, try to enjoy going out, the wait staff is very used to making the customers happy thats what we're here for, and its NOT an inconvience for anyone. BTW---great job @ the gym!!! keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Chrissie. I haven't had a fill yet my doc normally doesnt do them till about 3 months unless we arent losing any weight for 4 consecutive weeks. Well I went to the doc today and I lost 3.5lbs not as much as I wanted but they were very happy said most people are gaining when they first go on solids YEAH I guess the gym is helping. I also have more food added to my diet I can now add 3oz of salad to my lunch and dinner. I went to the gym again today and did 45 min on treadmill at a little bit faster of a speed and 15 min on bike and before I go to bed I will lift my little 3lb weights to help with my "bat wings" LOL

I think it might sound more glorious to others than I feel like it is I am really stickin to that strict diet and working as hard as I can at the gym I'm a BIG girl and I have ALOT to lose so I know I need to work extra hard. I'm 26 with no kids and one of the reasons I am doing this now is so that one day if I decide I want kids I am already healthy and will be able to have a healthy baby. So that keeps me determined plus all my friends are skinny LOL they are really helpin keep me motivated and my family is all really big so they are pushin me hard because they are proud I am doing it (like I'm the guinea pig LOL) I'm the youngest in my family and the most determined to be healthy so I want to try and show them it can be done and hopefully some of them will follow in my steps Well keep your head up you'll get going on your weight loss sooner than you think everyone has a different way to jump start the loss.

Pebbles---Once again you should be commended, it takes alot of inner strength and courage to follow your dream. When your family is big and comportable thats o.k., but like you said your sort of are the guinea pig and everyone is looking to you to succeed, so thats alot of added pressure to an already tuff job! your doing great. Forty-five min.on the treadmill is awsome! I have one downstairs and tomorrow is 3 weeks for me so its time to start at least walking regularly.ughhh. and BTW, I know all about 'bat wings'!! My most hated part of my body by far is the tops of my huge arms!! I've always been envious of the larger people who still somehow have these slim arms and legs. After I had my last child I thought I might not ever be slim again so I went ahead and had a Tummy Tuck. Thats alot kinder name for it than the Dr.s call it "an abdominal APRON!!" and I knew I wasen't going under without having my arms done, b/c like I said thats what always bothered me the most. The TT was incredible I love the results-the arms not so happy. So keep pumping those 3lb weights!!!

How's the rest of N.Y.?? please give us an update you guys!!

Hello everyone Hope you all are doing good. I'm not so good right now I just got out of the hospital. I was having what I thought was a really bad period last week and ended up going to the Dr on friday and it turned out I had a tumor the size of a football on my right ovary. So they admitted me on Friday and did surgery to remove on Saturday and I just got home today. This was much worse than the lapband but I hope to recover quickly so I can get back to losing weight. Well hope everyone else is doing much better than I am right now TTY Soon NYer's

Oh my goodness Pebbles I am so sorry to read about your illness. I hope you are feeling ok. Super get well wishes to you~~~~

Thanks jgandg I'm trying here I hope to be back on the ball soon I hope all you guys are doing well. Hopefully soon enough I'll be back on here telling you all that I'm doing good again I can't wait but for now I'm just trying to get through each day with the least amount of pain as possible. Good Luck NY'ers

Hi all,

I just caught this post. I'm also from NY. Westchester. Anyway, I had my surgery by Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill Hospital. The group is Roslin, Kurian, and Shah. We have a support group that meets on the second Thursday of the month. The next meeting is Oct 12 for anyone who's looking for a support group. It's held at Lenox Hill Hospital Aaron Hall Conference Room at 6:00p.m.

Pebbles, just read your post. Hope you're feeling much better. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks Em and welcome to our NY'ers thingy LOL Looks like your doing pretty good keep up the good work

Pebbles--- so glad your back with us!

welcome all our new New Yorkers!!

I'm having such a hard time,still. I will be getting my first fill next Mon. 1o/2. The last few weeks I've been feeling like this has been a 10,000. diet disaster. I was 214lbs.@ surgery and went to 205 within 10days, put have been stuck @207.5 for the last 2 weeks. I keep reading all the posts of people who have lost like 30lbs, who had the band around the same time as me!! I have NEVER had any restriction from DAY ONE! so right now, I haveto rely on sheer will power-well guess what?! If I had ANY will power at all I wouldn' need a freakin' band!! I am so frustrated.I hear of banders who can only eat a kids portion or appitizer when they are out to eat- and I'm still easily able to eat appy and entree-just like before.WTH?

And since you've all been so kind in letting me vent---to make it all even harder for me--Does it have to be Mallomar season??!!?!?! Im ready to rip this thing out if the fill dosent help.

Chrissie,

You sound so discouraged and frustrated. I was told not to expect ANY weight loss for the first 6 weeks, but to concentrate on healing from the surgery. Any weight loss during that time is a bonus. Right now I look like I'm ready to jump over Niagara Falls in a barrell from the bloating and gas. I know it's best I remain far away from my scale right now.

Have you contacted your surgeon's office and asked to speak with the dietician? You may be doing everything EXACTLY right but your body's just not ready to shift into weight loss gear. Look, at least you haven't gained anything, right?

This surgery is the best thing you've ever done for yourself and it will work. Because you will make it work! Keep plugging along and keep away from your scale. You may not be losing right now, but you're getting healthier every single day!

And stay out of the cookie aisle, for your sanity's sake!

Chrissie,

Hang in there. You've lost weight since your surgery. I know it's so frustrating not to see the scale move. I have been there. I lost 10 lbs the first week and 2 the second week. Tuesday will be three weeks and I don't know how I did yet b/c I have decided to weigh myself once per week. I can't get caught up with the scale. That was the one thing that had always made me revert back to my old ways of eating. Are you keeping a journal of what you eat? When I keep a journal, it absolutely keeps me honest. Of course I'm talking pre-band. I honestly wish I could eat a little more. I know I'm not getting all my Protein or nutrition in. That worries me.

As of right now, I really can't eat a lot. But, I don't think it's the band restriction holding me back. I get a very bad cramp the minute I put something in my stomach. Whether it's liquid or mushies, after 3 spoonfuls I get a pain which hurts. If I sit still it's okay. If I get up and walk it hurts. I don't know what it i

Just remember to keep your eye on the prize. I know there will be ups and downs for all of us. Be good to yourself. Think positive thoughts. I keep telling myself, that I didn't get to 80 lbs overweight overnight and I'm not going to lose it overnight.

Remember, your body is going to hold onto the wieght b/c it's in shock. You will lose it. Give it a little time. Are you working out? I find working out helps me keep a positive attitude.

You'll do it. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Hey Chrissie thanks Im so glad to be back but Im sorry your feeling so down about this whole thing Just give it some time and It will work I have kept you in my prayers and in time you will see the changes. I gained 6.5lbs after my last surgery after losing so well I was so upset about the big gain and my mom kept saying not to beat myself up about it and it will come back off and i doubted that but you know what this morning i got on the scale and I lost those 6.5lbs finally but I beat myself up about it because i felt like I tried so hard after the lapband and now I cant do anything no excercise whatsoever so now i feel like its gonna be hard for awhile but i have faith that soon enough i will be all healed and the weight will start coming off again. So keep your head up and in due time you will be losing again and remember to just let your body heal

Thank you everyone for the kind words.It really helps to have the comfort of people who undertstand. I'm so happy right now that I DIDN"T tell anyone I was having the band done because at least I don't have the questions and looks from outsiders as to why its not going well. Thank goodness I dont have that added pressure. I did know going into this that the first 6 weeks were just for healing-but when I go on some of the other boards and read of all the restriction just from the surgery and the lucky few who are still losing and putting off thier fills longer, Its extremly frustrating! Sure, Im a big girl and know your not suppose to compare yourself w/anyone else but.... I have said from 3 days post-op that I felt nothing! no restriction! no golfball no PBing! and could/did eat just like before. Maybe its not there!? Well like I said I'm banking on this fill to do something/anything. But then again I read that the first fill makes no difference for some and it takes a few fills for restriction. Has anyone here been filled? If so how many times? Iam trying to do this on will power-but like I said if I had that I wouldn't need to get the band. Thanks again for the support all my new N.Y. friends!

What size band do you have and how often does your surgeon allow fills to be scheduled? I felt the same way you did and did not feel restriction until I had the third fill. Like you, I lost weight DESPITE the band and could not relate to people who wrote about how wonderful the band was and how little they could eat.

I now have some restriction but it's still not to the point where it needs to be. The last fill I only received 0.3 cc and the next fill was scheduled for 6 weeks later so that's not until 10/18. When you go in for your first fill make sure you share how you're feeling and your concerns with the staff.

Hang in there... better days are coming.