Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I Got Sick..... My Doc Says It Is Because Of Too Little Calories

Hey everyone!

I am sick, oh so sick. I have the terrible flu and ended up going to the hospital last night because I was so dehydrated. They hooked me up to an IV and pumped me so full with sodium chloride that I gained weight!

Anywho, my doc said the reason I am getting sick is because I am not eating enough calories. He said I need 1200 to 1400 to keep my immune system healthy and I am averaging around 700 to 800 now. Has anyone else heard this?

I am taking my Vitamins, supplements, getting in almost all my Protein and Water in (except for this week) and still got super sick. We are talking crazy vomiting every ten minutes sick.

So I was wondering if maybe their is some truth behind what my doc said.

I average about 520 calories and was just advised to try and up to the 700 - 800 range. :)

I've never heard that about 1200 calories is required for a healthy immune system. I'm eating nowhere near that, and have been around a sick DD all week and I'm doing on. If it's true, don't tell my immune system!

600 - 800 calories a day is fairly standard for younger sleevers in active loss mode.

I've never heard of low calories effecting your immune system. I have read reports that lower calorie intake is associated with longer life expectancy.

Since dehydration seemed to be a major issue in your illness, eating low calories is associated with dehydration. You aren't getting as much hydration from food. So we are more prone to dehydration than non-sleevies - and when we get sick, the risk of dehydration is magnified.

Having said that, you may want to experiment a bit. Up your calories and see if you feel better. Just be mindful of the scale. ;)

I hopy you are feeling better! Sounds like a terrible experience.

While I didn't get the flu I did become very sick due to low calories soon after the surgery. My doc says that I need to get between 800-1000 calories a day to keep my body functioning properly. I've felt quite a bit better since I upped my calories.

Just to clarify, dehydration was a side effect of my illness, I couldn't keep anything down and stopped trying to drink Water for fear of vomiting.

I too have read that low calorie diets lengthen lifetimes and increase immune system function, but these were 1500 calorie diets which would be low for normal people.

I did read something recently where too low calorie of a diet can actually hurt your body's chances of fighting off infections or viruses. But nothing really about preventing them in the first place.

I have some yummy hot and sour Soup now that cleared up my nose nicely!