Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely Nervous About Upcoming Sleeve Surgery On 5/21/12.

I think nerves are normal, especially with a life changing surgery such as this. I haven't had my VSG surgery yet, but I've been considering it for a year and a half and finally committed to the process. The main thing holding me back? I was TERRIFIED of anesthesia. I would cry, shake uncontrollably and picture myself not making it through the surgery at the thought. In February, I had to have surgery on my foot - there was no choice. I had never been put under anesthesia before and I felt like my worst nightmare was coming true by feeling like I had to do this when I was so scared. I made myself sick with worry for the two weeks prior to surgery. I considered backing out even though I knew this surgery HAD to happen. Once surgery day came, it was like the blink of an eye and it was all over. I woke up in recovery wondering why I was ever afraid in the first place, feeling proud of myself and kind of ridiculous for worrying, too. My FIRST thought was, "oh my gosh, this was so easy...I'm going to have my VSG!!!" and as soon as I recovered, I began the VSG process.

Personally, I feel there is a HUGE difference in being afraid of the actual surgery it's self and not being committed to the process afterwards. If you're doubting your ability to live the lifestyle post-op, I would definitely postpone the surgery until you are absolutely positive this is what you want for your life. If it's just a fear of the unknown, fear of the pain involved, or fear of the anesthesia, please don't worry. I know that it's so much easier said than done, and I understand that fear is a very real thing, but just think of how proud of yourself you'll be when you wake up and are able to start your new life! If you need to talk, we're all here for you to support you. You're gonna do great!!

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I've calmed down a ton! My nerves are mostly that I won't wake up. I have had multiple surgeries (I'm a klutz), and I've always been fine with anesthesia. Even my husband says I could administer my own. I guess it's just because the kids are growing up and I'm just afraid. I have a lot of support, and I know this is the best thing for me. I'm super excited. The 2 week low cal diet is hard, total shock to my body. I'm not used to eating so little! Of course, that's what got me in this mess in the first place! So, I just wanted to thank you all for your support and advice. I will have pictures up so we can all see how much better I look after a while! Good luck everyone!

I'm glad you're feeling better.

I had to have an IVC filter put in last week, and having that surgery has sooooo relaxed me for this one. Granted, that was a quick, easy procedure and the VSG is major surgery, but just going through the entire pre-op, being in the operating room, waking up, etc. has helped me because I feel like I've had a "dry run". lol.

I'm sure I'll be plenty nervous the day of, but right now I'm sleeping great and feel pretty good about my outcome.

I am terrified of the anesthesia and letting my nerves get the worst of me. I am doing what all others are doing and what if'ing myself crazy! Prayers and luck on your surgery and journey!