Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurants...

How have restaurants been handling requests for smaller portions, substitutions, children's portions when you go out to eat? I heard that there are laminated cards that can be obtained somwhere that basically says that due to medical reason(s), you are unable to eat the portions normally given in most establishments. Thanks, in advance for your feedback!

Rachel

post-207529-13813133932131_thumb.png

I do not have a card and don't know if I did have it that I would use it. I really don't mind anyone knowing that I am banded but I really don't want my waiter to know. LOL Usually what I do is order and split with my kids or I take it home.. My only advise is don't go to a buffet.. You won't get your money's worth...

My surgeon, Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mexico came to see us the day after surgery at the guest house and gave us our cards. It has a picture of the lap band and what size and I think it came from inamed. It has on there that it is MRI compatible and that we can only hold 4 oz. and his name and number on it and it is lamanated.

It's very handy. You can also go to obesityhelp.com I believe and print one up if I'm not mistaken.

Hubby has a card, sounds like what mysherrijo got.

We've used it a couple of times to order from the kids menu when the waitress balked. Both times they were very nice about it when shown the card and allowed him to order after all.

Dr. Fox gave my sister a card when she had her surgery. I have been with her when she attempted to use it. I won't name the restarant but its intls are G.C. The cashier had no clue what WLS is and called her Mgr to pass us off, needless to say she got no discount and got to be embarassed to boot. Granted I live in the sticks Granbury, Tx, but you'd think a national chain would have some policy in place. If you live in a big city you might have more sucess getting a discount. Twin did say she has used her card in Dallas where she lives and the chinese restrant she likes to go to always gives her a kids price.

candy

To be banded Friday

Bajanor Clinic, TJ (woo-hoo!)

I haven't had any trouble at all. I've gotten to asking if I can have items a la carte since I can't eat much from surgery. Most don't question and are quite accommodating. I order what I want and make up my own plate combination. If a restaurant becomes difficult I'll just not go there the next time. I usally can find something on the appetizer menu.

Never had trouble. Went out with some fellow lap-banders the other day and we went to a place where we weren't sure we'd be able to share. I just told the waitor we were emdically unable to eat a meal each, so we wanted to share.

If you're concerned about no tbeing able to order a children's item, then don't. Get a regular one, and have a few meals to take home. Or just order a side item, or a la carte, or an appetizer (and you'll probably still have leftovers).

I have never had a problem, even in all-you-can-eat places. Most places have even brought the food out to the table divided already on two separate plates for my friend and I...or at a buffet, charged me a child's plate price.

Some buffet places, the less expensive ones, I just don't bother saying anything. After all, if I was a "normal" person with a light appetite, I would only eat a little, and pay the same price. I would consider that I received my money's worth.

I order to split with my hubby OR one of my kids,

Most of the time we order 3 meals and then pick of eveyones plate like a big family buffet :D

we love to share and taste eachothers meal, and we normally do have left overs~

When we go somewhere and we do not all share I'll order something small sized like an appitizer or Soup salad etc. If I do order a full meal I just take whats left home for lunch tomorrow.

Nana~

I've never bothered, although you wouldnt really do that sort of thing in Australia - children's meals are for children and are usually chicken nuggets or hotdogs and chips, that kind of thing, not something you'd want to eat as an adult - and doggy bags are actually illegal due to health regulations.

To me, the cost of a main course or entree anywhere I'd go is $12-$20 and to me that's a cheap price to pay for a night out with friends or a romantic dinner with my hubby or a fun night with the family at a bistro or similar. I couldnt give a toss how much of it I actually eat. So I dont ask for smaller portions, I choose something that's on the menu and dont ask for it to be modified anyway, I eat what I can and just leave the rest.

Although we did go out for Chinese with family a few weeks back and I begged off the banquet, there's no way on earth I'd get through 12 courses and to pay $50 for it was a bit silly. I just ordered a dish and shared it with the kids with some rice.

I have one and used it without problems with the exception of Fire Mountain. I didn't complain. They have had problems with people making fake ones. I can understand. I use it when I can and if I can't, I guess there are worse things that can happen in life.

I dont have a card, but if I get a whole meal I end up taking 1/2 home. I went to Ruby Tuesday this week and ordered the new burger and substituted the fries with a veg or baked potatoe. I ate just the meat from the burger, and 2 bites of potaoe. I enjoy getting just an appetizer, or a bowl of Soup or chili. Some restaurants are fine with substituations, just ask. I dont even mention that I have WLS.

Usually a restaurant meal is now anywhere from three-four meals for me. I have problems eating it all before it goes bad, so I've taken to ordering appetizers. The only problem is that the darn appetizers are so big that it's still two or three meals. I'm definitely considering getting my card laminated and starting to use it from now on because I hate wasting so much food when other people are starving. Sometimes the childrens menu looks fine and appetizers rarely contain balance like veggies and are often fried. I'm trying to eat home cooked meals alot more often now too.

We tend to go to alot of Thai, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Indian restaurants where we can share meals so it's not a problem.....last week we went to Yum Cha and it was great, I just had a small amount of most things that came around.

I think the portion sizes are more of a problem in the States than in Europe and Australia, I was in the US in Jan and was amazed at how HUGE the portions are.

My hubby and I are selling our home... and so we have alot of 2 hour showing windows to fill so we have been going out.

Bennigans will allow me to order off of the kids menu. They have a chicken salad. I usually get a baked potato to go with it, and take it home. Can not eat the whole salad either!

Double Daves will sell you pizza by the slice off the buffet for $1.00 a slice. I get them to make a thin crust meat eaters pizza and get one slice. Works for me!