Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Got Home From Surgery And I Am A Crying Mess! Up 5Lbs!

I can't stop crying. I just got home from the airport about 30 minutes ago. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Aceves' team. I weighed myself on my scale before I left and on Dr. Aceves scales the day of surgery and again this morning. I am up 5 lbs. I haven't eaten anything for over four days.!!!! I am up 5 f#cking pounds. I am starting to think that I truly am going to be the one and only person this surgery does not work for. I can't stop crying. I feel ilke I have post-partum depression almost. Did this happen to anyone else? I don't ever remember reading about anyone gaining such a large amount of weight following surgery. So incredibly disheartened right now.

Whoah, take a deep breath! Yes, this happens to almost everyone and the doctor should have told you. I came home 8 pounds heavier. It from all the fluids they pump in through your IV. It will retain for a few days, but if you keep sipping fluids and walk around it should go away quickly then you'll start seeing the REAL weight loss magically happen.

Best of luck! Relaxation is key, this is a long journey :-)

It's Water weight from the IVs you had in the hospital and your emotions are on a roller-coaster after surgery anyway. It happens to most everyone. Go to bed, drink your clears for the next week, and weigh yourself in 7 days. You will do fine.

Also, the emotions are totally valid. Between the shock to your system, the pain meds and the travel -- it happens to the best of us. It too will go away after the first week or so :)

This is actually more common than you think. Everyone's body reacts differently initially to the surgery, so don't be disheartened. Another thing to look forward to is a stall, which I'm sure you've already read about from other members. You get so use to a drop in weight and the that stall kicks in. It will happen, so don't be discouraged when it comes. You need to stay positive and focused on your goals. Positive energy only!!!

Ditto from me for the other replies. I too gained 5 pounds after surgery. I was advised I would and it was normal. I did lose the 5 and many more very quickly for the first month. You will be amazed. I too thought I would be the only one this ddn't work for. I still find myself thinking that sometimes, but in my heart I know that is wrong because I am losing weight and I am feeling better than I have in years. You will too, try to find the positive attitude you need to get you through and you will be updating your weight loss before you know it. Good Luck, and drink lots of Water, slowly.

Like everyone said. I think that is normal.

Thank you everyone for the fast responses. I really appreciate it. I wasn't expecting the roller coaster of emotions. that was a shocker. I will get some rest and keep pu the sipping and walking. It was just a shocker to see that when I got home today.

When I was in the hospital for a week after 10 days post op due to a portal vein clot, I gained 18lbs in Fluid weight...yes, you read that right, 18lbs. I was 271 at home on the day I was admitted, and 289 the day I came home. Guess what? Worked itself out. Even with my abdominal Fluid retention from that same dratted clot, I'm down 30lbs since my surgery a month ago, also with Dr Aceves.

You'll do great. Trust your body - it had major surgery, it's doing the best it can. Things will work out for you :D

You know what? I've been home from surgery for 6 days and I've refused to weigh myself---first because I am do bloated & 2nd because I don't want to see I've gained weigt. I'm waiting to weigh tomorrow at my dr office for first appt. i know it is exciting to see the numbers on the scale to move but please don't be a slave of the scale & daily weighing! You will lose pounds & inches! As far as your crying and being emotional, I think that's normal. Blessings to you & have a good recovery! Walk & sip!!!

Thank you to everyone for listening to me last night. That was really tough. Today was a new day and I feel great. The 5 lbs are gone and I walked two miles around the marina here. One day at a time, one day at a time.

I just had my surgery yesterday. I was 264.2 on my home scale yesterday morning. The hospital weighed me this morning and I was 270.1 - it's all because of the IV fluids, surgical gas and the stress of surgery! Do not worry about it!! You'll be back down within a few days or so!!

I felt the same way. It's been 5 months since my surgery and I have lost 38 lbs. I am still always hungry. I go to the gym and walk the treadmill 30 min 3 days a week and do some abs and bicycle. It is taking forever for me but I can't quit eating. I crave sugar. I had heard that when you have the sleeve they take out the part of your stomach that tells you when you are hungry but I think he forgot and left mine in. Anyway, I too take it one day at a time.

WAnt2bhealthy - 38 pounds is great. It isn't as fast as some people lose but I would be thrilled about losing 38 lbs. Keep at it. :)

I felt the same way. It's been 5 months since my surgery and I have lost 38 lbs. I am still always hungry. I go to the gym and walk the treadmill 30 min 3 days a week and do some abs and bicycle. It is taking forever for me but I can't quit eating. I crave sugar. I had heard that when you have the sleeve they take out the part of your stomach that tells you when you are hungry but I think he forgot and left mine in. Anyway' date=' I too take it one day at a time.[/quote']

I often wonder post surgery ... Like a month or two into it.. Am i ever going to be able to sit and have a nice meal with my family and husband... Or am I just going to be drinking Protein shakes.. And also I heard you should not drink soda pop when you have a sleeve .. I don't know what i will do without my diet pepsi!!