Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to tell my story. I had to fight for one year to get my Vertical Sleeve and actually had to change Health Plans to get that approval. I had my surgery February 14th 2011 at Magee Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pa with Dr Ramesh Ramanathan. I recommend all of the above, the Fight, Sleeve, the Hospital, The Surgeon. Before I got my surgery I was over 300 pounds. I have lost 90 pounds and have been at a weight plateau, but I know it just takes a little change to lose more weight, meaning I don't watch what I eat. However, I don't go to the salad bar, I eat Protein first and if eating out I take home 1/2 of what is served. That's what the Sleeve does, controls portions. And surprisingly it changes what you can eat. The safest food I can eat that I can tolerate is salmon. I cannot tolerate Italian (i.e pasta). But is this a problem? Not at all.

Before the procedure, I was on three Diabetes pills a day and 4 Insulin shots per day. In less than three-months post surgery, I became insulin-dependent FREE! No shots. No Pills. For the three follow up visits (3-month - 6-month - 1 year) my A1C fell to 6.6. My Cholesterol and Triglyceride levels have been fantastic and I don't eat to control this reduction. Meaning, it's the procedure that is keeping my levels down and the weight I lost. My PCP asked if I would do it again and I didn't hesitate. "In a minute." I can walk, I can move I can exercise I am finally healthy. I am still learning how to eat (don't rush) what to eat, (What I can tolerate) and portion wise, that's controlled by the surgery.

I highly recommend Magee Hospital, Dr Ramanathan and his staff. Kelly Kaufman the PA helped me to get everything in order and it WAS a struggle but it was accomplished, thanks to her. When the approval came, she expedited me into surgery one day after my 30-day liquid diet. Nurse Ellen has worked with me and helped with questions. That carbohydrate rush that makes you instantly tired, - know what you can eat. Things I could eat before I can't tolerate now. That salad bar - you stay away. bread waste of bulk. My favorite meal spaghetti - well I can't eat it anymore, makes me sick but hey I take no Type 2 medicine, no shots and I do check my blood sugar but to make sure it is not low. It's never high.

If I was to add anything it is research the procedures and the side effects of each procedure. The Vertical Sleeve met my lifestyle. Not being diabetic anymore, well the Medical community has no answer to why this happens but I can tell you it does happen. Faster than you can think it will.

Thanks for sharing your story! My surgery is this afternoon. I'm excited to get started with my new life even though I know there is a long road ahead. :-)

Thanks for sharing your story! My surgery is this afternoon. I'm excited to get started with my new life even though I know there is a long road ahead. :-)

best of luck xx keep us all updated:)

Congrats!! You've made an amazing change in your life and I can tell you feel a million times better!! :) Great job, keep rocking that sleeve!! :)

Isn't this amazing? So happy and proud for you! Keep it up. I love my sleeve and my skinniness..... ;)