Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is THIS NORMAL?

I was banded 2 days ago. i have this sensation of fullness and pressure in my chest. Drinking fine. Not painful. Just annoying? Is it normal and wil it go away?It almost feels like something is stuck in my throat.

:help:

I've had it quite a bit too... it feels like I need to belch, but can't. My stomach is sure making some wierd noises :)

I'm supposed to be on thin liquids... but I've progressed myself to some thicks, and a little bit of mushies...

So far I've braved Cottage cheese and Yogurt for food, a slice of muenster cheese, and to drink i'm just having Water. I've always been a big Water drinker anyway.

Yeppers, you'll become very familiar with that feeling of pressure just behind the breast plate. And, believe it or not, this is your brand new sensation of being full. Because the pouch is at the top of the stomach and because the restriction slows and limits the amount of food that can pass through, you'll no longer be feeling that lower belly.. unzip your pants.. stuffed to the gills feeling. Be aware of the pressure and stop eating/drinking for a while.

Also, when one experiences an episode of getting food "stuck" it will feel like that, only the pain will become more intense. So chew your food well, eat slowly, and focus on being aware of the signs of being "full". This will save you (hopefully) from a bad experience known as a PB. Productive burp, where the stuck food causes a lot of pain, wont go down, has to come back up, typically a lot of slime is produced by the body as it tries to lubricate things and free the food, and often this ends with wretching which brings up the food that wont go down. Not a pretty sight, not a fun experience.

This is totally off the subject of this thread, but I just noticed that you were banded by Dr. Cahn. I'm scheduled for the procedure with him on Sept. 11th. Was supposed to be Aug. 14th but he wasn't happy with my pre-surgery weight loss. Did you have that problem? I was devasted. But I'm back on track and working on meeting his goal for me. I know it's for safety reasons, but it was still tough. Looks like you're doing great! Congratulations!

~~Cheryl

For rib sticking warm goodness, blend Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup until its completely smooth, then heat. This saved me and many others I've told about the soup.

Also, be sure to get in your Protein via natural whey Protein suppliments. Mixed with skim milk and other various goodies, these shakes will help you recover quickly, fight infection, and take the edge off that hunger until you can start eating mushies.

i have this sensation of fullness and pressure in my chest. Drinking fine. Not painful. Just annoying?

Ahh, that brings back my post-op memories! Yep, I had exactly this feeling too. It gets better once the swelling goes down. I actually enjoyed this phase...hunger does come back then you'll miss this stage too!!

As for burping...I swear...it took me 3 months before I learned how to burp again. It's weird, my doctor says that most people just "lose" this ability for awhile. Funny!

PhotoNut,

How helpful!! Thank you for explaining about what that chest feeling means. I needed it explained clearly and simply as you did. The absolutely weird thing about being banded thus far is that I'm craving ham and Beans. I probably ate them once a year, if that, prior to banding. I'm gonna have your blended Soup idea tonight.

THANK YOU!

For rib sticking warm goodness, blend Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup until its completely smooth, then heat. This saved me and many others I've told about the soup.

Also, be sure to get in your Protein via natural whey Protein suppliments. Mixed with skim milk and other various goodies, these shakes will help you recover quickly, fight infection, and take the edge off that hunger until you can start eating mushies.

I've been mixing my Protein Shakes with light vanilla soy. very tasty.