Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Reporting in this week with a zero weight loss. Sucks! I exercised 5 times this week and ate between 1000-1200 calories/day, except for 1 day and then I ate 1300 calories. I ate Chinese food twice (Saturday and then leftovers Sunday). I think I'm retaining Water, as Chinese food has a lot of salt. I better drink away. Oh, well! I'll just try not to get depressed and keep plugging a long!

I too had no weight loss this week. All my fault. Haven't been exercising.

I normally just walk 1.5 miles outside, but the temp has been below freezing all day long and just can't do it. I need to just find something to

do inside. I really hate to exercise.:help:

Does anyone have a significant other that also battles their weight?

My boyfriend is a bigger guy and always has been. When I met him he was probably somewhere around 250lbs standing 6'6'' tall. He's just a big guy, period. His weight yo-yo's as much as mine but in the 4 years we have been together he has never really said it bothers him, he's always seemed happy with himself. Last friday I was able to drag him to the gym, he admitted to me before we went in that our home scale no longer works for him and he's afraid of what he weighs. At the gym he hopped up and found he has gained 60lbs in the last 4 months and it seems to have him really down. He has talked about getting the band for a little while and if that is what he wants, I'm all for it. I provided him with literature and the link to forums to do his own research and make his own informed decision. He is like me and when we buckle down we can lose weight fairly easily however keeping it off is near impossible and is why he is now looking at the band.

Then today rolls around, he calls me after work and something is really bothering him. He asked me to get his gym clothes together and meet him at the gym - this is something that NEVER happens. I asked what was bothering him and it took a bit to get it out of him (probably because he thought I'd be mad he was talking with his buddies) but the shortened version of the story is he told some of his friends at work about my upcoming breast augmentation, apparently he's really excited about it. One of the guy's told his wife. His wife was in the shop today and asked Jamie some questions about me and my decision and then asked "Does she want them big or do you?" Jamie responded in a kidding manner that he wanted them HUGE but I was only willing to go BIG and she then said "well I don't mean to be rude but don't you already have huge boobs of your own?" Although I'm sure she was just kidding the comment really struck a cord and threw him off. He is now so depressed about it and I can't seem to console him. He wont eat dinner, told me to only pack him a slim fast bar for lunch and has snagged a few phentermine from my medicine cabinet even when I asked him not to. He's way too quiet and a quiet Jamie means something is terribly wrong.

I never knew he was this sensitive about his weight - I understand it and relate better than anyone but I don't know what to do or if there really is anything I can do. I have never been on this side of the fence...

MimIN, I have a lousy track record when it comes to relationships with guys so take this for what it's worth. I guess I would say, remember what was supportive or helpful to you...then try to do it for him. If I know anything, guys want to be appreciated. Keep this in mind, maybe he is afraid that your sexy new look will send you looking elsewhere too? I really don't know the answer but understand what it feels like when other overweight friends and acquaintances share their weight struggles. It's tough to know the right thing to say.

Tami, you are my HERO!!! I want to be like you when I grow up :D

I have started running (egad!) just to keep the fat melting off and it's going slowly. I am up to a 8/10 of a mile without stopping....gotta walk about a 1/2 first to get those endorphins flowing.

This last week I exercised 30 minutes 3 times....for 9.5 miles. I am satisfied. Would have liked to do more but Friday when I finished my run my nose clogged up, I sneezed about 20 times and couldn't breathe. Seems I inherited a gene that causes vasomotor rhinitis (according to the doc). This is precipitated by STRESS...such as running or exercise. If I sneezed once I sneezed 100 times this weekend...and that is no exaggeration. It was the craziest thing.

Anyway, I am hoping the stress hormones, or whatever caused it are gone by tomorrow (still sniffling today.) I'd really like to get out there an run a full mile this time!

Down one meager but real pound this week. Whew.

MimIN, I have a lousy track record when it comes to relationships with guys so take this for what it's worth. I guess I would say, remember what was supportive or helpful to you...then try to do it for him. If I know anything, guys want to be appreciated. Keep this in mind, maybe he is afraid that your sexy new look will send you looking elsewhere too? I really don't know the answer but understand what it feels like when other overweight friends and acquaintances share their weight struggles. It's tough to know the right thing to say.

Tami, you are my HERO!!! I want to be like you when I grow up :D

I have started running (egad!) just to keep the fat melting off and it's going slowly. I am up to a 8/10 of a mile without stopping....gotta walk about a 1/2 first to get those endorphins flowing.

This last week I exercised 30 minutes 3 times....for 9.5 miles. I am satisfied. Would have liked to do more but Friday when I finished my run my nose clogged up, I sneezed about 20 times and couldn't breathe. Seems I inherited a gene that causes vasomotor rhinitis (according to the doc). This is precipitated by STRESS...such as running or exercise. If I sneezed once I sneezed 100 times this weekend...and that is no exaggeration. It was the craziest thing.

Anyway, I am hoping the stress hormones, or whatever caused it are gone by tomorrow (still sniffling today.) I'd really like to get out there an run a full mile this time!

Down one meager but real pound this week (think, four sticks of butter!) Whew.

Mimin: Sorry, but your boyfriend's friend's girlfriend is what I like to call a real "bitch!" It makes me mad when people are so thoughtless. This weekend my sister-in-law came from out of state for a visit. She looked at me and said, that she better get busy exercising or else I would get thinner than her and I'm suppose to be the fat one in the family! What do you say to such rudeness? I said, "Get your running shoes girl, because you're about to take my place!" Even though I came up with a glib reply it really hurt my feelings. Can't people be happy for my success? It doesn't reflect on them. I would just reassure your boyfriend that you love him, just has he has always loved you. No matter what. When I was contemplating having the LB surgery, my husband said that he loved me and didn't care if I had the surgery or not (he is thin and handsome). He said I don't notice your outsides (we've been married 31 years), I'm in love with you! Somehow, with no pressure on me, because I felt loved and supported, I could make the decision for myself. You're boyfriend is feeling vulnerable and hurt. It will take him a while to process his feelings and what he is really willing to do about them. Give him space and support. I'm sure you are already!

Hi All,

I'm still hangin' in here. I missed last week's weigh in but nothin' to report. Last week was a -0 and this week is a -0. I guess it's good I didn't gain. This is really hard work. I didn't realize how MUCH the band was working on my hunger until I didn't have the restriction anymore. And I started exercising. I'm taking an "Aquacise" class! Kinda fun, kinda cold (Michigan in January need I say more?) kinda kick butt (didn't expect that). So that's Tuesday & Thursday for 1 hour each day. That's it for my exercise unless you guys let me count shoveling snow as exercise.

April, we're glad you're here! Started to worry about you. Keep up the good work. Maintenance would be tough but I think it's a very realistic goal considering the lack of restriction AND the emotional eating that I know I would be dealing with. Hang around! :D

Oh, is it two or four sticks of butter in a pound?

wow, I have been gone a few days and I have to go back 3 pages to start reading where I left off. Well, it happened getting my fill motivated me to get back on track. so I can say I lost 6 pounds this week. of course the reason is that I having been gaining and losing the same pounds for months so they dropped easily. but what ever the reason I will take it.

A friend of mine got gastric bypass and her hair started falling out. her doc told her to take zinc and biotine ( or something like that it is a Vitamin B thing) anyway I will check with her at school tomorrow and actually write it down. I noticed too that my hair is also falling out. I got some micelar milk from a gastric bypass site. it is 17 oz. 40 gm Protein. I don't really like the taste. it is chocolate and I can still taste that protein taste. but I put it in my instant Breakfast. It is really really cold here in utah and I heat up the instant breakfast put in the protein stuff and some benefiber and have something warm with Vitamins in my hand while I go to work.

BUT my biggest problem is Constipation (or how ever you spell it) it is really really bad. and painful. the doc gave me some stuff prescription and it works but he said I need to get off it but when I do I harden up again. I know I need more water.. lots more. but anyother ideas???????

Everyone is so upbeat about how they are doing it really helps ya know. I love the baby steps. my neice is anorexic and my sister told me about an amazing book that will work for all of us. Of course I didn't have a pen and I can't remember it but I will get it and pass it on. Maybe some of you have read it. she said it talked about eating disorders as a log going down a strong river, she said we will all grab back onto the log every once in a while during our journey, we will eat too much and then when we feel stronger we will let go. sound familiar to anyone?

well, this will take up a whole page, thanks for letting me ramble. Love you guys, I couldn't do this without you... sandy

Only had one fill so far. Started at 263 lost 23 so far. I am eating everything I always ate. I am going to schedule an appointment to get another fill so I can start feeling some restrictions and start losing faster.

Luving4aliving,

Well I found out a little more tonight about my boy. There has apparently been a little jealousy the last while and a bit of insecurity as he has seen me changing. He says I look like a totally different person now (he met me heavy) and it's all so hard to deal with as quickly as it has happened. He said he doesn't want to be that guy that people look at and say "how did he get a woman like that!" in turn it has made him insecure. This man is the love of my life and no matter what he weighs I love him and I find him as attractive now as I did when I met him.

He has decided for now he is going to try to lose it on his own. We came up with a reward system that will keep him motivated. For every 20lbs he loses he can put $500 into his project car. I have no doubt that will motivate him and he will surpass me in lbs lost, he drops weight like nothing when he wants to. I could use the company at the gym, I seem to work out harder when I have someone to work out with.

Lisa: I think you were pretty accurate! I am going to be supportive and be quiet only offering advice when asked - that is what I want when I get into a similar funk.

Karey: You are right, she is a bitch! I have never met this woman and I sure don't want to now. I don't understand what people are thinking when they make comments like that. I too would have been hurt if my SIL said that to me. People that say hurtful things even in "fun" I believe do it to make themselves feel better and to try to mask their own insecurities.

MinIN: The "bitch", if we want to give her the benefit of the doubt... might have been feeling bad for you that your man might be pushing you to get bigger boobs than you want. Some men are like that, thinking more of themselves than their woman. Her man may treat her that way and it had nothing to do with your or Jamie. Or there's always the chance that she's just a bitch. But it isn't too surprising that Jamie would react the way he did when he was already feeling a bit insecure. There are certain triggers in men that hit home - baldness is one, man boobs is another.

It's great that you and he can talk frankly about all of it and you're great for wanting to give him lots of support, and the right kind of support.

My DH was very aware of my overeating and tremendous weight gain. He didn't say anything bad to me, but every once in a while, he'd make a small comment or two. He was just as overweight as I was. While I sure did not realize how big I had gotten, he certainly didn't realize he was just as big. (I don't know how lots of men can keep their self-esteem so built up sometimes while most of us women have to work so hard at it.)

Now that I've been losing enough to really notice, he's finding that it is much more difficult for him to lose along with me as he'd planned. I can tell that he's getting more worried the more I lose. His self-confidence has taken a dive too and although I'm like you, I want to be completely supportive, I think I'm a little big glad that he is finally realizing how difficult it all is. I weighed 106 lbs. when he married me, so I don't have the comfort of knowing that he will love me no matter how much I weigh. He said he loved me, no matter what, but I know his weight made a difference at how I attractive I thought he was, physically, so I know mine has to make a difference to him too.

The bottom line is that weight gain, obesity, is a very very difficult thing to manage. When we're lucky enough to have someone we love in our lives, if we can stick together and be there for each other no matter what our ups and downs are, we are going to be healthier! It sounds like you and Jamie are that lucky!

:clap2: