Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Any advice will be appreciated. I've never been able to sleep on my back but i can't lay any other way because of the pain where my port is. any helpful experience dealing with this. I would love to get more than about 4hrs of sleep.

We have ALL done GREAT!! The communication helps and knowing what to expect. A good attitude about having it done and WANTING the band so bad comes in handy also.

WOOOO HOOOOOO for all the Sept bandsters!!!!!

Keep up the good work, we are only halfway thru!!

Any advice will be appreciated. I've never been able to sleep on my back but i can't lay any other way because of the pain where my port is. any helpful experience dealing with this. I would love to get more than about 4hrs of sleep.

I am sleeping on my right since my port is on the left, I have a pillow that I put over my left flank to protect my port. What I found helpful while I was sore was to build a ramp with the pillows, like for race cars when we were little , and the laying at the elevated angle keep my port from being irritated!! The other thing that may help is put a pillow under your knees if you are sleeping on your back to remove the pressure from the port.

Wishing you Good Sleeping:notagree

I don't like shakes - a pain to prepare and I don't like anything frothy...so, I bought Pro-Stat 64, a Liquid Protein, from my surgeon's office. Was so excited, because I thought I could just take a teaspoon here and there and get all my Protein in for each day and then just eat the Soups, drinks that I liked. But ---- this Pro-Stat stuff is so nasty - like drinking down pork spit or ground chicken bone, feathers and skin....ARRR - ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS STUFF - HOW DO YOU GET IT DOWN - DO YOU MIX IT WITHSOMETHING THAT HIDES THE TASTE?

I'm 6 days post-op and also had a 1/2 cup of coffee. I can't ask my doctor this question because he'd say NO COFFEE at all! So, I'll ask you guys - anyone have any idea about powdered Creamer? It has 0.5 g fat, 1 carb and 0 sugars...but, the ingredents are corn Syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean oil. What do you think?

Been eating plain yougert with honey, strained bean Soup, cran-grape juice, Tomato Soup made with milk. But 1/2 hr after I eat (and I only eat maybe 1/2-3/4 cup) I feel so full! I can't imagine eating one bite of mushy, let alone real food - HOW COME I'M SO FULL WITH NO RESTRICTION? Is it just that I'm eating too fast, because chewing isn't the issues since this is all liquid-type stuff?

I read about that unjury online..so its really good? Do they have chocolate, have you tried it?

The unflavored is truly unflavored. I mix with crystal light and can't tell the difference.

I bought a bunch of individual packets on www.unjury.com to try. The chocolate is good. I have tried it with milk, and also once added banana to it (yum).

The vanilla is good with milk and frozen strawberries. Kind of too strong of a vanilla flavor for me to drink straight, but the strawberries blended nicely.

The strawberry sorbet was good mixed with Water and ice. I want to try it with milk but havent yet.

My new love that I tried this morning is Syntrax Nectar lattes. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I love mocha flavored things. I mixed my sample pack with milk and some crushed ice and it was delicious. I think anyone who loves frappuccinos would love this.

Hopeworks: I was told that we still have a lot of swelling from the surgery. Plus anything I eat or drink causes bloating, which not only causes fairly major discomfort for me, but also makes me feel incredibly full. I've been completely shocked too, at how little I can or want to eat.

Don't know if you're eating too fast, but one day I gulped some Water like I did pre-surgery, and it was a little scary for awhile!

Your description of the taste of Pro-Stat 54 totally cracked me up! Sure made me want to get my hands on some! My heart goes out to you!

Don't know about the creamer. My doc said no coffee and since I'd already been through sugar and caffeine withdrawal, I haven't tried it. Would a little skim milk work?

Well home from Preop testing and it was not bad even the Upper GI was good they told me I did really well with the Upper GI. To me the barrium is not a whole lot different than the Glucerna lol

So Now I just play the waiting game till surgery. Seeing that I can do this and still be fine and happy I am less scared and nervous about the surgery. I had gotten nervous about the Upper GI and it was fine.

I will keep pluggin alot. I am feeling good today knowing i have lost 7 lbs so I am on my way to becoming a Healthier and smaller me.

Hope everyone is doing well

HOW COME I'M SO FULL WITH NO RESTRICTION? Is it just that I'm eating too fast, because chewing isn't the issues since this is all liquid-type stuff?

It is probaby due to swelling. Some people do seem to have good restriction without fills. You might be one of those lucky people!

Larry- good goin' with the pre-op tests! You've already lost 7 lbs! That's great. It will make things easier for your doc (and you).

I'm one week out from getting the band and I am pretty much a new woman this morning. So just think - once you get banded, you may have a week of some discomfort (or maybe even not) and then you'll be on your journey into bandland and good health! Woo-hoo!!

Go Larry, go Larry, go Larry!

Cory, I'm with gonnabethin,

I sleep on my left side with a pillow between my knees and supporting my belly so it doesnt feel like my belly button is going to explode and my port is pulling. I have found it helpful when coughing to hold a pillow against my belly for support and have'nt had any problems. I've been sleeping on my side since the 2nd day after surgery just as I was prior. I just use an extra pillow under my shoulders for support.

I wish you good sleep in whatever you try.

I have found that deep breathing has helped me greatly with the soreness after surgery, and it relaxes me as well.

If you do the deep breathing try it from the diaphram not the belly.

Good Luck.

BJean: I am so happy to see things are moving along for you!! Congrats!

I am also one week post-op today and I couldnt feel any better myself. My only complaint is that if I move a certain way my port area is tender, other than that, I am fine! I, too have lost 10 lbs since surgery day...

I am catching up tonight after a couple of days. It is interesting to read how different some of our instructions before and after surgery are. I made sure to ask my doc about the heating pad and other things I saw here online. Said the heating pad is fine. I only used it one day when I was so uncomfortably bloated. Also said I could use s/f chewing gum.

I was told that any clear juice for our post-op diet is fine. I don't like Apple, but used grape/cran instead (also cleared by nutritionist). As far as fruit is concerned, I'm at Day 7 post-op and s/f canned pears are on my diet. And bananas have been an option for a couple of days now. I noticed that once I'm allowed any additonal fruit (another 4 or 5 days) they said not to eat any of the skins.

I am practically a new person today. Last night was a break-thru with the shoulder/back pain. And the bloating isn't even as bad. For at least 5 days, every time I ate anything or drank anything, even Water, I bloated up like a toad. And had lots and lots of burping, etc. I have not been sedentary at all - walking at every opportunity, although mostly in and outside my own home. Today we went to a movie, dined at a very nice restaurant for lunch, and did next week's grocery run.

For lunch I had a portion of a bowl of New England Clam Chowder and was psyched! It was wonderful (although I had to chew the little clams at least 60 times each before I could swallow them.) My main dislike of the post-op diet is all the artificially sweetened foods. You have a fairly nasty taste in your mouth leftover from the hospital meds and it doesn't seem to mix well with all that sweet stuff.

And just to set the record straight - earlier someone said I complained that I had only lost 4 lbs. after 2 weeks of pre-op liquid dieting. I must not have made myself very clear - I was never required to do only liquids before surgery. I did 2 meals of high Protein Shakes plus 1 relatively normal meal. By the day of surgery, I had lost 10 lbs. and as of today, I have lost a little over 20 lbs. and it's only been a week since surgery. I am sufficiently hydrated although I am sure I could have lost some fluids due to surgery.

The liquid Protein Shake I was doing and am still required by my doc and nutritionist to do for another couple of weeks, is low-carbohydrate, high mineral and Vitamin content and one of the highest Protein containing products of its' kind on the market.

We should not be worried in any way that the high Protein Drinks will "bulk us up"!!! (Particularly since we are not supposed to be having anything that is high carb.) We have to be way more concerned that if we do not get adequate protein and nutrients we can weaken our muscle tone and even sustain damage to our hearts from the trauma and demands put on our bodies from surgery and the post-op diet! My doctor, my nutritionist and even my exercise physiologist have all gone out of their way to stress the importance of this. We must get the max protein recommended and we must take our Vitamins.< /p>

And according to my nutritionist, the only other liquid protein source she would recommend is Isopure. However, she much prefers the whey based protein in the one I'm using. Oops - one more protein reference... Jello has a very easily digestible protein, which is one reason we get it right after surgery. But it is impossible to eat enough jello alone to get the amount and type of protein our bodies are going to need to sustain our health.

The best advice any of you could get right now is to listen to your doctor and his/her staff and to ask questions if anything you read here is causing you concern.

I am finally excited about having the Lap Band and am really looking forward to my new life of health and beauty. I wish the very same for all of you!! Gn'nite BJ

Everyone seems to be doing great! Good luck to all that is scheduled soon.

I will tell you, one week post-op makes a huge difference..I had a fairly easy time with everything last week, but today I really feel great. No issues with eating or anything else. I see my surgeon tomorrow and hope he can tell me I can exercise some more...

And my hiccups are gone!! Those were the worst for anyone that has gotten them!! Ouch!

SherryA: Wow! You're REALLY doing well. You're an inspiration here, big time!

I haven't quite lost 10 since surgery, but I actually am no longer in the twos!!! My port area is tender too. It seems to be situated right where the waistband of my pants hits. I keep hoisting them up and walking around with high pockets. lol

I appreciate your encouragement! Let's stick together and git 'er done!Thanks. BJ

Thanks BJ! Everyone here is an inspiration, and it is wonderful to be able to read everyone's accounts first hand! I have learned so many tips and tricks just in this one HUGE thread alone that has helped me greatly!

Ahhh..you made it out of the 200s! YIPPEE! That is my b-day goal, which is next month. I hope to hit it beforehand, but I also have to be realistic and realize this crazy weight loss will slowwwwwwwww down real soon!

My port area is a bit above my waistband, so it doesnt exactly hit. I hope that calms down for you soon, but it is tender enough without trying to pants on it!!

SherryA: Wow! You're REALLY doing well. You're an inspiration here, big time!

I haven't quite lost 10 since surgery, but I actually am no longer in the twos!!! My port area is tender too. It seems to be situated right where the waistband of my pants hits. I keep hoisting them up and walking around with high pockets. lol

I appreciate your encouragement! Let's stick together and git 'er done!Thanks. BJ