Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok guys and gals quick question.........

I just want to point out I do not remember what my NUT said my calorie intake should be and have been going about my post op diet with the mindset nothing I ate before is ok (lol) and really taking the stages into consideration. So I set a goal for myself and would like to know if it is realistic. I use myfitnesspal and based on my preop weight and weight loss goals they set my calorie intake to 1200. I lowered it myself to 1000 but I am so pleased and feel successful if I reach over 600 and ecstatic if I can get to 800 without a candy bar lol. So that is #1 is that a good sound caloric intake to be at? Under 1000 over 600 that is 400 calories to play with!

#2. I have lost 25.2 lbs since surgery 4/9/12 ( I am 4 weeks 3 days post op) and I am pleased with that however, I am only 14 lbs away from onderland and I would like to shed those final 14 by memorial day 5/28. Is that realistic? I have began to incorporate exercise and that jumpstarted everything after I hit a week long stall and menstrual bloating and swelling.....bleh:( but on May 28th that would put me at 7 weeks post op and if I succeed at losing those 14 lbs will be a total loss of 40 lbs. At 8 weeks post op I plan on begining weight training as I am concentrating on cardio now to train my lungs and build endurance and not pull, tear or rip anything! So what do you guys think? I want to create a list of mini goals for myself but I want to be real with myself and now that I have this tool and have begun to see and feel a difference I am excited about doing things that seemed like a distant memory! So please leave a message

How wonderful that you are setting those goals for yourself. I also had surgery on 4/9 and have lost 25 lbs too. My NUT never gave me a calorie intake to go by. I am supposed to focus on Protein and fluids. However, it is hard not to look at calories when I keep track through sparkpeople it gives it all. I seem to average between 500 and 900 depending on the day. I have gone over (as high as 1200) but I had to snack all day to do it. (I have been experimenting with the new tummy). Shedding 14 lbs by memorial day is not really realistic. It may be able to be done, but it isn't going to be healthy. 2-3 lbs a week is much more realistic when considering both diet an exercise. If you go too quickly you are risking major Hair loss and gall bladder problems. Slow and steady wins this race. You are doing great! Take the time to develop new healthy habits during your "honeymoon period". Also, I believe the term onederland refers to losing 100 lbs not getting into the 100's. I may be wrong on this. If anyone wants to comment on this as well that would be helpful. I see it used interchangeably.

600-800 calories is a pretty popular range that NUTs and surgeons recommend during the losing phase. Early out, it is sometimes hard to get all those calories in. It gets easier.

It's great to set short term goals, but it is also hard to predict just how much you will lose by memorial day. It's fine to set that as a goal, but remember that your body may have other plans! LOL! Even if you are doing everything right, it is possible to hit a stall. Or, you might continue to drop really fast since you are fairly early out. So I'd say just keep following your diet plan and moving as much as possible. Whatever weight you are at memorial day will be the weight you will be. No matter what, though, you'll know that you are doing everything right!

Congrats on your great loss so far! You're doing fantastic!

My NUT is a bit different, wanting to go up to 800-1000 calories a day but she is also more forgiving when it comes to carbs. Some days it is hard for me to get in that amount of calories but if I don't I tend to drag all day the next day. I'm losing slower than most but my energy levels have been good, which is important to me as I have a high stress job.

I agree with Pennie that short term goals are good but don't get mad at yourself if you don't hit that goal. Our bodies can be very finicky. I thought I was on a good pace for weight loss but I've only lost three pounds in the past three weeks, which is rather frustrating. At the very least, though, I'm still losing and that's better than what I was doing before the surgery.