Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie To Forum, Let Me Introduce Myself...

Hi all. My name is Kim. I am a 43-year-old who has struggled, as I'm sure alot of you here have, with weight issues all of my life. I did go through one "thin" phase during high school, where I was my perfect goal weight, but that did not last very long. Otherwise, I was a "chunky" kid and now, an obese adult with several health issues. I have Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, and for 1 year now, Diabetes Mellitus. My 63-year-old father passed away 2 years ago this month from a massive heart attack. He was not obese, did not have blood pressure issues or DM, but he did suffer from Hyperlipidemia and had a heart attack when he was 42. He exercised daily and aside from a few splurges now and then, tried to eat a healthy diet. His death was a complete shock and a definite eye opener for me. It took me a little over one year from his death, but I got serious about my weight loss journey October 2011, when my weight topped at 238lbs. I did NOT want surgery and was convenced that with serious dedication and hard work on my part, I could accomplish this without "drastic" measures. So my PCP referred me to Dr. Voellinger of Southeast Bariatrics in Charlotte, NC for medical management. This is ALL I was coming here to do...medical management. And I started off great! Lost 25lbs the 1st 4 months! Then...SCREEEEEECH! Completely halted any weight loss for 3 months! No matter how I up'd or changed my exercise or how I modified what I ate and when, nothing. Last month, I decided to try my standard serving of oatmeal for Breakfast, Protein Shake smoothie for lunch...and ADDED a Protein shake smoothie and a small salad for dinner, instead of cooking a meal for dinner. Yes, I started losing weight again, but at what cost? Absolutely zero variety in my diet. I have now managed a total of 31lb weight loss, arriving at 207lbs as of last Thursday. During the month long journey of oatmeal and smoothies, I really started changing my thought pattern, and researched more on the sleeve as my surgery option. Last Thursday was also my 6-month mark for insurance purposes with Southeast Bariatrics. I spoke at great length with Candace Bishop, PA and told her I would like to proceed with the VSG, as I do NOT want to be my dad. I want to be healthy. I know if I do not get my weight under control, I could very well suffer the same fate as my dad. Though I do miss him terribly, I am not ready to join him. So, I have appointments with nutritionist, psych, and exercise therapist June 14th. I have my final pre-appointment/insurance sign-off with Dr. Voellinger on July 5th. I see my PCP this month on the 23rd for a physical. He will do the EKG and I have bloodwork orders for my standard PCP stuff AND bariatric pre-op which I will have drawn the beginning of next week at the office I work at (I am a CMA at a family practice). There is another girl in my office that had VSG in December last year and she did/does not have any co-morbidities and has the same insurance and she qualified just at a BMI of 41. Mine started at 42 (BMI) with 2 co-morbidities, so I will definitely be upset if my insurance gives me a hard time. I am shooting for a surgery date of the beginning of October this year. I work in a smallish office and any one person out is felt throughout the office...October gets through everyone's summer vacations and the 1st month of back-to-school illnesses and immunizations. Then I can just focus on me and recovery.

So, I have gone on and on and on. I mostly want to thank you all for being here. I was so excited to have found this site and have been "lurking"/reading for about 2 weeks now. There is ALOT of great information here and I love the support you all give each other. I am looking forward to being in your "family" too :)

The picture below is a collage of pictures of me...the 2 "skiiny" pics are high school (25years ago), the 2 middle pics are within the last 4 months and the pic in the workout clothes is me at my biggest, 238lbs. I bought the workout clothes for pictures only...I intend to use the same clothes to document my journey;) Believe me, I do NOT work out in that...lol

post-46685-13813669470795_thumb.jpg

post-28268-13813658751233_thumb.jpg

Welcome! I just had my surgery yesterday & I'm resting at home. Wishing you the very best with your journey. Keep us posted.

Hi there and welcome :) you have definitely made a great decision in joining as this forum is a wealth of information and support. I've met some amazing friends here and I'm certain u will as well. So sorry to hear about your dad,I lost my mom when I was 30 in'04. She was 54 and I am just now giving myself the kick in the butt to get healthier. I'm planning my surgery for the end of July and if there were any possible way for me to speed up time it's do it. Lol

Hi Kim. Saw your introduction and wanted to write -- we have very similar journeys, same build and actually kind of look a little bit alike. I am 45. I have my psych, nutritional and exercise consults tomorrow and my endoscopy Friday. My surgical consult is may 22 and they will schedule my surgery then. I am having surgery in u.s. and am self-pay, so they are estimating early june. I know that puts me a little ahead of you, but I would love to have a sleeve buddy, so if you are interested, private message me and I will give you more info about me. Welcome to the forum, but warning .... It is completely addictive.

Hi Kim,

I am pod 7 and I start my full liquid diet tomorrow. I do not know at this time how much weight I have lost but I have never been a slave to the scale and I am not going to start now. I feel confident that your insurance will approve your surgery and you will be well on your way to a new life. Welcome and good luck to you.