Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

I will be staying in hospital for another night as my temp is up and still have drain in. Hopefully I will go home tomorrow.

I will be staying in hospital for another night as my temp is up and still have drain in. Hopefully I will go home tomorrow.

Hey kelliv, hope everything goes smooth for you tonight do you can go home tomorrow.

I still find it hard to drink 1-1.5 litres. But when I came home I lived on Powerade and juice. Now I have a mixture of v8, diet cordial, Water and iced tea.

I still get a little tired in the afternoons being 3.5 weeks out. But I am working fulltime and looking after a 2.5 yo.

Hey kelliv' date=' hope everything goes smooth for you tonight do you can go home tomorrow.

I still find it hard to drink 1-1.5 litres. But when I came home I lived on Powerade and juice. Now I have a mixture of v8, diet cordial, Water and iced tea.

I still get a little tired in the afternoons being 3.5 weeks out. But I am working fulltime and looking after a 2.5 yo.[/quote']

At 3.5 weeks are you on purée food too or mushy? I think I will be over liquids by the end of the first week. I wonder if I can start having an Optifast shake from omorrow?

Kelli - Doctor told me that we swallow a lot of air - even when we are talking. It gave me that feeling that I had a bubble in the top of my stomach that wouldn't come up. It wasn't painful but very uncomfortable. I am sure it will subside for you as time passes. Regarding fluids, I am probably only managing 1-1.5 ltrs per day - still working on trying to increase that but must admit that 2-2.5 sounds really difficult.

After moaning yesterday I seem to have turned a corner and I am feeling a lot better. I think I wasn't eating enough. My doctor had told me to try not to snack between meals but when you can only eat one third of a cup of food each time that is not very much! When I looked at the sheet the dietician gave me it showed that I should be having something every 3 hours so I have implemented that and feel like a new woman today.

Michelle and Shellz - Thanks for all your feed back - it really helps to know how you are feeling and what you ae eating - I feel so much better now with this increase frequency of food. I really felt like I was walking around with a fog in my head!

I was just thinking that maybe heading to Sydney rather then QLD would be an option. Here is a link to my surgeons web site it's worth a call just to see the options any way.

www.lifeweightloss.com.au/

Hey Lilly,

Got email from them today and sounds like its all good. Starting the ball rolling now. Woohoo sooooo excited.

Scotty

Kelli - Doctor told me that we swallow a lot of air - even when we are talking. It gave me that feeling that I had a bubble in the top of my stomach that wouldn't come up. It wasn't painful but very uncomfortable. I am sure it will subside for you as time passes. Regarding fluids' date=' I am probably only managing 1-1.5 ltrs per day - still working on trying to increase that but must admit that 2-2.5 sounds really difficult.

After moaning yesterday I seem to have turned a corner and I am feeling a lot better. I think I wasn't eating enough. My doctor had told me to try not to snack between meals but when you can only eat one third of a cup of food each time that is not very much! When I looked at the sheet the dietician gave me it showed that I should be having something every 3 hours so I have implemented that and feel like a new woman today.

Michelle and Shellz - Thanks for all your feed back - it really helps to know how you are feeling and what you ae eating - I feel so much better now with this increase frequency of food. I really felt like I was walking around with a fog in my head!

[/quote']

Hi Sue, it sounds like you have found the key to feeling more energetic...eating more often. My dietician said I will need to eat 6 small meals a day. It's going to take some getting used to. Usually I am so busy I forget to eat during the day and I've never been one to snack. Now I will have to be more organsed. Te pain at the top f my stomach is slowly getting less which is god. Tried sitting on chair and walking around ward mt of the afternoon rather than laying in bed. Had no as pain. Could nt eat horrible hospital Soup again as too salty, so made a miso Soup which was yummy, even though I only managed a couple of spoon fulls.

At 3.5 weeks are you on purée food too or mushy? I think I will be over liquids by the end of the first week. I wonder if I can start having an Optifast shake from omorrow?

Hey Kelli, my dietitian was liquid for 2 weeks then minced and mashed for 2 weeks (that's what I am doing now until next Tuesday) then I go to a soft diet where I can start to increase my food variety. Still to avoid difficult foods on my lists, I basically can try nearly everything and just see how I feel.

How are the liquids going, I was over them by the end of the first week. The food sensation is so different to drinking fluids, I am still trying to get use to it. But read something that now helps me. When I start to burp, it mean that my pouch is almost full as its pushing all the air up and out, usually after I burp I can have 1 or 2 more teaspoons.

Hey Kelli' date=' my dietitian was liquid for 2 weeks then minced and mashed for 2 weeks (that's what I am doing now until next Tuesday) then I go to a soft diet where I can start to increase my food variety. Still to avoid difficult foods on my lists, I basically can try nearly everything and just see how I feel.

How are the liquids going, I was over them by the end of the first week. The food sensation is so different to drinking fluids, I am still trying to get use to it. But read something that now helps me. When I start to burp, it mean that my pouch is almost full as its pushing all the air up and out, usually after I burp I can have 1 or 2 more teaspoons.[/quote']

Hi, thanks that's a really good tip. I am only day two and am already bored with liquid, but not hungry as such. My dietician said I may go onto purée 7 days after op, but I wil wait and see. It sounds a bit soon to me.

Hey Lilly' date='

Got email from them today and sounds like its all good. Starting the ball rolling now. Woohoo sooooo excited.

Scotty[/quote']

Oh yay that is sooooo exciting, you will be so happy with Dr Durmush should you go ahead, he doesn't use drains in the stomach or a nasal drain which is so much better. The before and adter care are fantastic. Keep me updated!!

Oh yay that is sooooo exciting' date=' you will be so happy with Dr Durmush should you go ahead, he doesn't use drains in the stomach or a nasal drain which is so much better. The before and adter care are fantastic. Keep me updated!![/quote']

Hi lily, I wonder why some use drains and others don't. Nurses told me the one in the stomach gets rid of a lot of the Fluid and without it you get a lot more swelling. They also se it to test with green cordial the day after op. if it comes out of the stomach drain there s a problem. If it comes from nasal drain that's good as its going into sleeve. The nasal one apparently gets rid of the gunk in the new sleeve. They were both horrible, but necessary from what I can gather and will hopefully help in a faster recovery. I think whatever your doc says goes, as they are the experts.

Hi lily' date=' I wonder why some use drains and others don't. Nurses told me the one in the stomach gets rid of a lot of the Fluid and without it you get a lot more swelling. They also se it to test with green cordial the day after op. if it comes out of the stomach drain there s a problem. If it comes from nasal drain that's good as its going into sleeve. The nasal one apparently gets rid of the gunk in the new sleeve. They were both horrible, but necessary from what I can gather and will hopefully help in a faster recovery. I think whatever your doc says goes, as they are the experts.[/quote']

Hi killi,

When I had my post op check up I asked my Surgen that same question and he said that he recently has adopted a new technique and this almost eliminates the need for both the drains, I didn't need a leak test on day two either. he said before hand that there was a possibility I'd wake up with one but not very likely, there was 3 other patients some on the same day as me and none had any drains.

Hi killi' date='

When I had my post op check up I asked my Surgen that same question and he said that he recently has adopted a new technique and this almost eliminates the need for both the drains, I didn't need a leak test on day two either. he said before hand that there was a possibility I'd wake up with one but not very likely, there was 3 other patients some on the same day as me and none had any drains.[/quote']

Wow that's great. I wish mine ad done the same. Thanks

Hi killi,

When I had my post op check up I asked my Surgen that same question and he said that he recently has adopted a new technique and this almost eliminates the need for both the drains, I didn't need a leak test on day two either. he said before hand that there was a possibility I'd wake up with one but not very likely, there was 3 other patients some on the same day as me and none had any drains.

I know 6 other people who went to the same doctor as me. One of them had surgery over 5 years ago and none of us had any sort of drain. My Drs notes said if you notice your urine is green the day after surgery, don't be alarmed, its just the blue dye they flushed the stomach with to check for leaks.

Just my thoughts on dieticians. I really don't feel comfortable with dietician directions post op. If they worked in conjunction with the surgeon, that would be great but it appears they don't. So for me, I'm skipping the dietician and going by my Dr and what my body is telling me. Sorry, I'm not tarring every dietician with the same brush but that's just my thoughts from my own personal experience.

:)

Michelle

I agree totally about dieticians. I got nothing out of my visit and have learnt more from my doc and sites like this and learning as I go.