Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Yeah I'm on basic hospital too with Medibank. Had surgery at a private hospital and my gaps were $2400 surgeon/assistant surgeon and $285 for the anaethetist .

Its crazy how much the prices differ.

Kelliv, glad to hear everything went well. I didn't have a drain but have had one with a previous surgery and they sure are a pain in the butt. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Thanks for keep us posted :)

Yeah I am full fee paying. My Healy fund didn't cover it as I was on a basic level of cover and I wasn't willing to wait until May next year for the surgery lol

wow good on you, I actually did the same for nose surgery two years ago. I wanted a certain doctor to perform it & paid out of my own pocket (still paying it off) but glad I did it $18,000 later. This time I wasnt in a fund but paid into hospital only... you are right the year wait feels like it takes forever but here I am only 9 days til surgery :)

Kelliv, so glad your doing well. I had the one drain and felt every it of it when they took it out. Also had the horrible leak test so you were lucky you didn't have that to experience.

In regards to my costs - medibank private covered all my hospital costs and I was $6500 out of pocket - $4500 surgeon, $2000 anaesthetist. I have since fixed up my phi incase any reconstructive surgery is required at the end of my journey :)

Kelli - great to hear you are doing well. I was in no fit state to do anything after 24 hours so well done.

I have actually been having a difficult time on the purée stage. I am on my second week and still find it quite difficult/uncomfortable to eat. I actually still don't feel 100% (no energy - like I am coming down with something) and am finding that I am very emotional. Is any one else feeling the same way? Will I ever feel myself again and not feel unwell all the time. The only time I feel any normality is when I first wake up.

It is only 4 weeks since my surgery so am I expecting too much?

Sorry to hear that Sue. I'm 3 weeks out and I actually feel fine. I'm struggling. with portion size but have no problem eating a variety of foods (tin tuna, cottage cheese, deli meats ie turkey/chicken, cheese slices, yogurt and clix biscuits) < those foods are pretty much my staple diet.

I do feel different as the day goes in. My stomach feels more bloated in the evening and I feel drained, however, I am working 8-12 hour days.

Otherwise I feel good. I burp a lot, like a real lot when I eat too much. That's my only real gripe at the moment.

I'm having minimum 60grams Protein a day and take a Multivitamin.

Have you spoke to your Dr to rule out any post op complications that could possibly be making you feel this way?

Hope you get better soon

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear you are not feeling the best. I am feeling great but everyone is different with their experience. I was feeling great from about day 3 and sometimes ask myself if anything was done, them I am reminded when I eat a fraction of my previous meals. I am 4 weeks out as well.

I would suggest talking with your doctor and just try and remain positive that these feelings won't last and it will all be a blur when your strutting your stuff when at goal weight. I think these sites are fantastic for support as well and you will meet people that have experienced similar feelings.

My thoughts are with you and pray you are better real soon

Shelley xx

Congrats kelliv, fingers/toes crossed for speedy recovery :)

It's 3am and I am wide awake. There is a lady in labour in the room next door. My drip cannula fell out when I went to the bathroom at 1am and I had the nasal drain out about lunch time. Only one drain left and it will come out today thank goodness. I will start to feel more human when I am free of all the tubes. Getting sick feeling in top of my tummy. Is this normal? Got 5 hurs straight sleep, but now I can't drop off. Hospital bought for my dinner tonight,, clear Soup which was nedible, jelly and lemonade which was not allowed to touch, apple juice and tea. I had half of apple juice, not that I was hungry. You really ave to check what they give you and can't assume it's suitable. I hope to go home today, but will have to wait until the doctor coes in to find out.

Thanks again for your thoughts and best wishes. I don't feel that I am going through iit all alone. Cheers kelli

Hey Kelli. I had that same feeling in the top of my tummy. Sometimes it was painful. I rubbed it in a circular motion. Dr said if the feeling/pain comes in waves (ie comes and goes), that it was a normal side effect. Mine subsidised by day 3-4. I hated having the cannulas etc. They make you feel so restricted. You will definitely feel better once they are out.

Theres no place like home. The first couple days will be bumpy but its on and up from there :)

Hey Kelli. I had that same feeling in the top of my tummy. Sometimes it was painful. I rubbed it in a circular motion. Dr said if the feeling/pain comes in waves (ie comes and goes)' date=' that it was a normal side effect. Mine subsidised by day 3-4. I hated having the cannulas etc. They make you feel so restricted. You will definitely feel better once they are out.

Theres no place like home. The first couple days will be bumpy but its on and up from there :)[/quote']

Thanks Michelle, the pain in the top of tummy does come in waves and I have found rubbing gently and deep breathing helps. I so relieved to know it disappeared.

My dietician said I should be getting 2.5 liters of Fluid a day, but should I be aiming for this straight away or building up to it over the next week? Any advice? Thanks

My dietician said I should be getting 2.5 liters of Fluid a day, but should I be aiming for this straight away or building up to it over the next week? Any advice? Thanks

2.5 litres! Wow, your dietician is very optimistic :). I still cant drink that much 3 weeks out. You should aim to sip one medicine cup (30ml) of Water every 15 minutes while awake. Set a timer otherwise you will probably forget to drink. My Dr said to aim for at least 1-1.5 litres to keep you hydrated in the first week. I drank a combination of Powerade and Water in the first couple of days.

Your Fluid intake will increase each day.

There is no way I could consume 2-2.5lt even at 4 weeks. I can get through maybe a litre a day and that is having to remind myself to drink. I was told between 1-1.5 should be my aim. I have had a couple of gatorades, an ice tea and the rest being Water over last 4 weeks.

Thanks, that makes me feel better and less stressed. I have had Water, coconut water, a little apple juice and tea. I think I can start on shakes once I go home. Dietician wants me to have 3 per day split over 6 sessions, so 100ml each. Should be ok.