Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

BTW' date=' I'm actually from Geelong, just saying Melbourne is sometimes easier LOL.

Anyone else from my neck of the woods?[/quote']

Hi Nessa, welcome to the site. I'm from Whyalla Sth Australia. This forum is great and I too like the fact that we are all on the same page when it comes to kilos and food :)

Hi Everyone' date=' just an update....5 days left of Optifast before op next Tuesday. I have been going well, but have been travelling for work the past two days and am now exhausted. Have had shakes only fr past 2 days and it's not enough. I think the lack of actual food, especially Protein is really starting to kick in. I may indulge in vege with a but if fish or chicken tonight. Moving house on Friday and haven't any energy left to pack boxes. Wish me luck.[/quote']

Your doing great Kelli. Definitely get some fish or chicken into you, it will help your energy. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Your surgery date will be here before you know it :) Best of luck with the move. Not one of my favourite jobs, Thats for sure.

Gday Aussie Sleevers,

Hi all just wanted to say hi I am on the 12 month torture test waiting for PHI to kick in. Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on...

My story so far......

Am male 6'1 140kgs, like most on here been the big one all my life! Over it, wanna be fit n healthy. My mates are all the crazy crossfit n active guys n keep trying to drag me along, but I end up feeling stupid being the last one to finish and looking rediculous trying. I'd love to be there believe me.lol.

I used to train in MMA (think UFC on a much smaller scale) but hurt my knee and just couldnt lose any weight doing it. I did have my first fight last year got down to 119kgs but then put it all back on. Was suppose to have another fight this year in march and was training rediculously hard for 2 months still not losing any weight and got a rejection from the doctor saying most I can do is a brisk walk, too much pressure on my heart. Everything I loved outside of Family was put on hold.....GGGGRRRRR.

Anyhoo started PHI in July and have to weight (lol) 12 months till I can have surgery, although I am thinking of trying Dr that will do self funding ( my Dr only does PHI in case something goes wrong). I also have to get early release from super to do anything.

Just want to be thin........

Scotty

Gday Aussie Sleevers' date='

Hi all just wanted to say hi I am on the 12 month torture test waiting for PHI to kick in. Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on...

My story so far......

Am male 6'1 140kgs, like most on here been the big one all my life! Over it, wanna be fit n healthy. My mates are all the crazy crossfit n active guys n keep trying to drag me along, but I end up feeling stupid being the last one to finish and looking rediculous trying. I'd love to be there believe me.lol.

I used to train in MMA (think UFC on a much smaller scale) but hurt my knee and just couldnt lose any weight doing it. I did have my first fight last year got down to 119kgs but then put it all back on. Was suppose to have another fight this year in march and was training rediculously hard for 2 months still not losing any weight and got a rejection from the doctor saying most I can do is a brisk walk, too much pressure on my heart. Everything I loved outside of Family was put on hold.....GGGGRRRRR.

Anyhoo started PHI in July and have to weight (lol) 12 months till I can have surgery, although I am thinking of trying Dr that will do self funding ( my Dr only does PHI in case something goes wrong). I also have to get early release from super to do anything.

Scotty[/quote']

Hi Scotty,

I was in the same situation. Joined private health last July and finally July 25th 2012, I had my surgery. It did seem like a long wait but I thought it was worth it. Gave me more time to research and ensure that it was what I wanted to do. Also cost me a lot lot less than it would if had I of not been insured.

Long story short. I am sleeved and have not one single regret. Its early days yet but I just know this change is going to be for the better.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with everything.

Hi Scotty, great to hear from you. I had to do the same with my PHI and counted down every minute. I could have accessed my super but my surgeon would not do the sleeve without phi in case I had to stay in hospital longer. He was happy to do the band without insurance but I was determined to have the sleeve. In saying this though, I have heard of self pay in Aus for the sleeve so it can done, I guess it is up to you whether you want to wait a year.

I wish you all the best, you'll be living that active lifestyle before you know it ;)

My new life began 20/7/12 by Dr Reza Adib, Wesley Private Hospital, Brisbane. Starting weight 134kgs, goal weight 75kgs - 177cms :)

Hi Scotty,

My surgery is on 3 September and I am paying through early release of my super. I am going through Dr Candice Silverman at John Flynn Private Hospital on the Gold Coast. I have just been through the process of early release of super and for me, this was my best option otherwise my PHI wouldn't kick in until May next year. For me, I wasn't prepared to wait as I had another option available. That's not to say I wouldn't have waited but I actively sought another outcome.

For me, I weighed up what the next 12 months means to me and it was worth pulling out my super early - I am 33 and felt if I ever wanted to have kids I had to do something soon.

The process is actually fine to access your super early - you just have to ensure that your GP and surgeon both say that it's a life threatening condition and not available in the public system. The hardest thing is the wait as your paperwork is processed. But I have just received my approval and it's all systems go :) I am very happy!

My clinic uses the early release of super quite often and they were pretty much experts on what I needed to do. So if you find a clinic that does that, then you'll be fine :)

Good luck ! and welcome :)

Cheers, Lila

Wow,

Thanks for the responses, Lila you're in Gunnedah howd u do all the lead up for surgery in Brisbane?? I am in Branxton near Singleton and really dont want to wait ( I will if I have to ) but if I can do it early then let me at it!!!

Michelle I actually signed up for PHI on the 25 July....lol. I hate waiting though..

I have the forms for early release of Super but my Surgeon said he wouldnt do it Self Funded.

Any tips on how to go about Self Funded would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aussies

Scotty

My story so far......

Scotty[/quote']

Hey Scotty

Welcome, I hear you in a lot of what your saying, I was sleeved in Sydney on 27th July best thing I have ever done even though I am early out I have gone from 113 down to 103 an I'm just shy of my two weeks :)

My surgeon does self funding and also has a credit payment plan in place if needed, I was lucky I have Private Health Insurance, but there are surgeons out there that will self pay.

My story so far......

Scotty[/quote']

Hi Scotty, welcome to this forum of fellow Aussies and good luck with whatever you decide re your funding options. I ave PHI but am still out of pcket all up about $5,500. Getting my sleeve next Tuesday in Brisbane and really looking forward to getting on with it. I ae not read one story on this site that would alter my decision to haves sleeve. Let us know how you get on.

Your doing great Kelli. Definitely get some fish or chicken into you' date=' it will help your energy. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Your surgery date will be here before you know it :) Best of luck with the move. Not one of my favourite jobs, Thats for sure.[/quote']

Thanks Michele, had a little bit of chicken with me veggie tonight and felt instantly better and more energetic. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Thanks Lilly and Kelli,

Sounds like its all going well for you Lilly 10kgs in 2 weeks, cant wait to get started.

Kelli good luck with next Tue your so lucky, let us know how it goes. Im the sort of person who will find a way to get what I want, I will have the surgery quicker if I can ;) if I cant then its the loooooonggg wait for me....lol.

When I get mine done Im going to do one of those youtube videos, I love watching all the success stories, seeing the changes and want to do it for others.

Anyway off to work I go

Scotty

Welcome Scotty! I can't imagine having to.wait, once I had decided to make the change I just wanted to get there.

I am back at the hospital today for my gastroscopy, and now the hospital gown ties up all around me...woot woot, no more butt on display.

Thanks Lilly and Kelli' date='

Sounds like its all going well for you Lilly 10kgs in 2 weeks, cant wait to get started.

Kelli good luck with next Tue your so lucky, let us know how it goes. Im the sort of person who will find a way to get what I want, I will have the surgery quicker if I can ;) if I cant then its the loooooonggg wait for me....lol.

When I get mine done Im going to do one of those youtube videos, I love watching all the success stories, seeing the changes and want to do it for others.

Anyway off to work I go

Scotty[/quote']

Hope you get there sooner, keep me up dated

On the YouTube I love to watch them I have seen so many people change lives its amazing. :)

Wow' date='

Thanks for the responses, Lila you're in Gunnedah howd u do all the lead up for surgery in Brisbane?? I am in Branxton near Singleton and really dont want to wait ( I will if I have to ) but if I can do it early then let me at it!!!

Michelle I actually signed up for PHI on the 25 July....lol. I hate waiting though..

I have the forms for early release of Super but my Surgeon said he wouldnt do it Self Funded.

Any tips on how to go about Self Funded would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aussies

Scotty[/quote']

Hi Scotty :)

I work in a medical field and decided to ask some dr mates to suss out options for the surgery through their contacts and Dr Candice Silverman was one name that kept popping up. She is on the Gold Coast so I called Weight loss solutions and spoke to someone advising them I was from out of state etc. they arranged for all my appointments to be on the same day so I just drove up had a little holiday and did all my appointments. I had a great GP locally who checked my bloods thoroughly etc so that wasn't an issue. They filled out my paperwork for early release of super and I have now had everything approved and am just counting down until surgery ;) best of luck!

Cheers Lila

Hi Scotty :)

I work in a medical field and decided to ask some dr mates to suss out options for the surgery through their contacts and Dr Candice Silverman was one name that kept popping up. She is on the Gold Coast so I called Weight loss solutions and spoke to someone advising them I was from out of state etc. they arranged for all my appointments to be on the same day so I just drove up had a little holiday and did all my appointments. I had a great GP locally who checked my bloods thoroughly etc so that wasn't an issue. They filled out my paperwork for early release of super and I have now had everything approved and am just counting down until surgery ;) best of luck!

Cheers Lila

Ummm hope that didn't sound like an ad :) I am not affiliated with them beyond my client status lol. It's just been a great experience - they have made it ass smooth as possible for me and I really appreciate that!