Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

I'd said a few days ago that I'd decided to stick with Dr Stephen Blamey to do my surgery, but I'm scheduled to go into surgery to remove lap band on 14 Aug and they STILL haven't sent me the paperwork! Which makes me rather mad because I saw him back on 19 July. I'm sorry, that is FAR more than enough time to get it out to me.

So I'm glad I didn't cancel my second opinion appointment with Dr Adam Skidmore. I see him today at 12.

I wanted to stay with Dr Blamey, even though I wasn't terribly happy about his protocol, because I wanted the option of DS if the sleeve wasn't enough. He's apparently the only one still doing DS in Victoria, and I can't go out of state. But I've called his secretary 4 times about the paperwork and I STILL don't have it so I'm going to see Dr Skidmore. He may do the lap band removal and sleeve at the same time rather than me have to wait 10 weeks between like with Dr Blamey. If I have to give up the DS option, then I'd like to not miss a moments sleeve time! It's not guaranteed, he might make me wait too, but it's worth asking. I haven't had any complications with the band, so hopefully it's all straightforward. Anyway, I'll know today (hopefully).

And besides some of the people who've gone to Dr Skidmore said he's got a nice bedside manner. Dr Blamey was nice enough.......but kind of talked down to me, in that patronizing condescending way. You know, says things but in that way that has you-ignorant-stupid-fat-person-that-won't-be-able-to-follow-a-simple-concept written all over it?

Anyway, that's where I'm at in my sleeve journey. Getting one step at a time. I'm glad I have had some time to read through this site and absorb information and first person accounts of life with the sleeve. To be honest before I started researching the sleeve I thought it was a procedure that was created mostly for failed lapbanders! The only people I knew with a a sleeve were those who'd had a band and had not been able to make it work for them. Now I realize it's much better as a first option. I'm prepared to do the work required with the sleeve. Most of it I already do - daily supps, Protein first, exercise daily. The things I'm working on now are not drinking with my meals and working soft drinks out of my life. I'm doing better on both, but still working on them. I also have some emotional eating and compulsive eating issues I'm working on but I now understand that I cannot get these under control on my own. If I could I probably would not be so big right now! So seeking a therapist with eating disorder expertise BEFORE surgery. I don't want to have to go crawling back to Blamey begging for a DS if I don't have to!

:-)

I got approved!!!!!!! The DHS have approved the surgery and hospital costs of $18000 for the surgery!!!!!! I just wish that my clinic had told me about the anaesthiologist so I could have included that too! Oh well very happy all in all...now to find out about the added costs...

And in even better news, I got awful information yesterday from an employee at the clinic- the fee for the anaesthetist was included so the $18000 I am getting from my super does cover all costs. So happy about the outcome !!!! Although now it means that it is all systems go :) the clinic asked me if I wanted to go first and I said yes please - no guarantees of course but it makes it all a little more real :) so feaking happy right now- thanks for your support guys! Honestly I think you preserved my sanity!,

And in even better news' date=' I got awful information yesterday from an employee at the clinic- the fee for the anaesthetist was included so the 18000 I am getting from my super does cover all costs. So happy about the outcome !!!! Although now it means that it is all systems go :) the clinic asked me if I wanted to go first and I said yes please - no guarantees of course but it makes it all a little more real :) so feaking happy right now- thanks for your support guys! Honestly I think you preserved my sanity!,[/quote']

That's excellent news Lila. So glad it has all worked out ok for you. Yay! time to take the next step :)

And in even better news' date=' I got awful information yesterday from an employee at the clinic- the fee for the anaesthetist was included so the 18000 I am getting from my super does cover all costs. So happy about the outcome !!!! Although now it means that it is all systems go :) the clinic asked me if I wanted to go first and I said yes please - no guarantees of course but it makes it all a little more real :) so feaking happy right now- thanks for your support guys! Honestly I think you preserved my sanity!,[/quote']

That's excellent news Lila. So glad it has all worked out ok for you. Yay! time to take the next step :)

That's great news Lila. Wish you all the best

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I paid about 2000 for the analysiologist (so can't spell).

Looks like I am headed back to hospital on Thursday for a bit of exploratory gastrectomy to look if there is any reason for my ongoing reflux' date=' not normal this far out.[/quote']

Aussie girl not good to hear you have to head back into hospital, how bad has your reflux been.

I was told to take reflux meds for a month after but thats it. Have you been taking it for the whole time?

Hope everything is ok.

KristiP - Good luck with your consult, hopefully one doctor will get their stuff sorted :)

Lila - Congrats, feels great to keep moving forward.

Kelloff- Thanks :)

I didnt have reflux pre-surgery so this has all been a new experience for me. My main symptions are burning or feeling like there is a lump in my throat and a numb/tingly tongue. I have been through a number of different combinations of medication since my surgery, most just help dull the feelings not really solve the issue. I was told I would only need the reflux meds for a few months at most....but seems like I am the exception to the rule, so could be worse, I could have got a leak or any number of other things.

I think the surgeon is going to look for any blockages or lesions, and then see what the next steps are. I can live with the symptoms, they are annoying but just dont want them to be an indicator of something worse, especially as I am off overseas in just on 2 weeks.

Hi Kelli

I originally told only a special few at my work at the beginning but by the last week before my op most of my floor at work knows. I have had 150% support from everyone at work' date=' family and friends oh except my father but he will come around when he sees the changes. I gathered that I will let everyone know as I am so proud of my decision to do something permanent to improve my life and I really didn't care what anyone thought.

In regards to the opti - I was very boring. I had strawberry, banana & choc ones just plain in my little shaker. At night I ate some steamed greens and either grilled chic or fish for two long weeks. I actually didn't mind the opti and am going to start having one a day again. Honestly though, there was a couple of times in the 1st week that I strayed :( then I was so worried that doc would not go through with op as he said if liver not shrunk he would not continue so when I woke up and he was in my ear saying it is over and all went well, it was such a relief .

Anyway, have a great day ladies - have to drag myself out of bed to head to work

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Thanks Shelley, I have been selective as to who I've told and all except my best friend/business partner have been very supportive. My friend keeps making remarks about the fact I should be able to lose the weight without surgery and that somehow it's cheating or taking the easy way out. I don't think having surgery and permanently changing my life is taking the easy route!!! I think she is secretly jealous. She is big too but doesn't see it. Her problem is more about alcohol than just food and she would never give up the wine. There are some friends I will tell afterwards when they start to notice the changes. This time next week I will have had my operation!!! I don't go to the hospital until 11.00am, as Dr Copp only operates in the afternoons. I hope I am one of the first on the list so I don't have to wait all day.

Re food and variety, I haven't cheated on pre-op so far but I am craving Protein. I coud have some chicken or fish but haven't so far. May indulge on last night in a nice piece of fish and salad.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded - there seems to be some consistency around the 2000 full cost with some of you paying the gap . I am paying for the whole shot myself so I will have to find out in the morning what they are going to charge me but I will let you know once I do what the costs are :) Though I have hospital cover my benefit didn't cover this surgery and I made the decision not to wait until May when I am eligible...so it was a choice and I have to live with the consequences. It just makes it hard when you don't get clear and accurate information from the clinic...

Your support and advice is awesome :) and greatly appreciated!

Cheers' date=' Lila[/quote']

Lila, how did you go today with the anesthetist fees?

I got approved!!!!!!! The DHS have approved the surgery and hospital costs of 18000 for the surgery!!!!!! I just wish that my clinic had told me about the anaesthiologist so I could have included that too! Oh well very happy all in all...now to find out about the added costs...

Congratulations Lila, does that mean you are still paying $18K for the surgery or is it now covered by private medical?

Congratulations Lila, does that mean you are still paying $18K for the surgery or is it now covered by private medical?

I am paying the $18000 but it is coming out of my superannuation fund (I applied under early release of superannuation benefits compassionate grounds) so I am paying for it but not really out of pocket. I've been working professionally for 10 years and have always contributed extra to my super so it's kind of like I was saving for this without even knowing lol. Primarily the only out of pocket expenses were the initial consutlation fee's, my travel and accommodation costs while I am there so all in all, it will be around $3000 out of pocket for these things plus my follow up appointments at 6 weeks, 6 months and 12 months. But the actual surgery etc itself will be covered by the $18000. Hope this makes sense :)