Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I take a buttload of medicine 3x daily. My doctor said to take them as normal but have any of you been told how to take them after? When you're taking 8 capsules and 3 tablets three times a day...and you can barely get any liquid down... I just don't know how I'm supposed to take them. Maybe I can take them all at once and count it as a meal. (joking)

What have you been told? I'm looking forward to the day when I'm not on meds....

We took a class and this was a big part of it. We have to make apts. with our primary doctor(s) and get everything liquid, crushable or gelcap that can be punctured and squirted out. No pills at all for two weeks.

Oh mylanta! I will talk to her and see if my meds even come in liquid form. Liquid cymbalta, baclofen and neurontin? I bet she tells me to open them up and dissolve in a liquid. I bet that tastes divine...

I'm concerned about my meds also...I take insulin, janumet, lisinopril, gabapentin, silvastin, and celebrex.

I guess I was lucky, the only thing I was taking pre-op was allopurinol for kidney stones, fortunately this is crushable. they started my on actigaul for gaul stones which is capsule so i can open it. I take both meds and pour them in a small pile on some sugar free pudding, one bite and they are gone, the pudding helps hide the flavor of them so they are not that terrible.

I have to go off lisinopril 10 days before my surgery. It is not a good drug to be on during surgery. They can put you on a different BP med for that time period but my PCP says to just go off of it and we will reevaluate after surgery.

I was able to take all my meds in pill form within a few days after surgery. My doc's only restriction was that the pills be no larger than an M&M. As for taking them, one at a time with a small sip of Water. It takes a while as I'm on quite a few meds. Now that I'm 7 weeks out I can take the small ones in one handful and just leave the smaller ones to one at a time.

I would recommend talking to your surgeon about this.

I did the same as Mews, although I didn't take my coumadin at all until 1 week after surgery because I was on Lovenox shots. Ask your surgeon specifically about each med. It might even be a good idea to take them in for your pre-op appointment.

I had no problem with tablet form. In fact, because the liquid pain meds made me so sick to my stomach, I started on tablets before I left the hospital. Small sips of Water work - but it is a pain to allocate the time to take a sip and a pill, wait and repeat. It's also difficult for me to remember to spread taking pills out throughout the day. I'm lucky that I was never on a ton of the to begin with since I have enough trouble with the vitamins! Good luck!!

Ooh, the pudding thing would work.... Heck, I choke on them now and have a hard time getting them down BC of my gag reflex or something. I already may have to gulp a couple of times to get a small pill down, and y'all would all lol if u saw me taking the capsules (all the capsules are larger than an m&m). I can miss one dose of the cymbalta and get brain zaps so that is a must. I'm compiling another list for the Dr and this is going at the top. I've just read so so so many posts about people not really being able to even sip... I'll stop rambling now.thank u all so much for the info

Remember that we might all have a different sized bougie and so while m and m sized pills work for one it does not mean they will work for all. Nancy, the liquids made you sick? That is my biggest fear. I am a wimp and want pain meds but I can't handle getting sick. I threw up blood when I had my tonsils out and it was so scary and the worst experience. I wonder if I can talk to my doc about crushing percocet or getting a pain patch if it is bad. Gag.

Remember that we might all have a different sized bougie and so while m and m sized pills work for one it does not mean they will work for all. Nancy' date=' the liquids made you sick? That is my biggest fear. I am a wimp and want pain meds but I can't handle getting sick. I threw up blood when I had my tonsils out and it was so scary and the worst experience. I wonder if I can talk to my doc about crushing percocet or getting a pain patch if it is bad. Gag.[/quote']

Oh yeah. Well I was nauseous for about 30 hours post surgery and when I had to do the X-ray thing where you have to swallow some yucky stuff I threw that up. So when they wanted me to take a liquid Vicodin I did try it but I think it was too close on the heals of the other liquid that made me yak. Tablets were no big deal. Remember we are all very different. I've always hated liquid meds so no wonder they didn't work me. That may not be the case for you!

I take 5 pills at night. And one in the am. It took me 20minutes but I took them 1 at a time for the first week. 2 of them I was able to cut in half.