Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lifespan Of Vsg Patients?

I am wondering about the lifespan of people that have undergone a VSG. I know there isn't long term data yet, but did anyone's surgeon address this with them? I can only think that it may be similar to people who have their stomachs completely removed. Can I live to 80 or 90 with a VSG? I am in the very beginning stages with Nor Cal Kaiser so am at least 4-6 months away from surgery and have been thinking a lot about this issue. Any info is appreciated. :)

Yeah, no data on that, but then again I don't think there's data like that on the lap band or RNY, either, as neither has been around for the 40-50+ years that would be necessary for that kind of data.

I would imagine, since there's no malabsorption with the sleeve, that the longevity stats would be great. Certainly they would be better than the lifespan of a morbidly obese person.

I agree with Cookies. I'm sure our life expetancy is much longer than it would have been if we remained morbidly obese.

Here is one study that is often cited about how gastric bypass doesn't significantly increase life expectancy in older men: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/228264.php It's the only study I'm aware of, though, and it's conclusiosn are a bit controversial.

You also have to keep in mind "quality of life" ... which is ususally better if you are not morbidly obese. So there are advantages to weight loss surgery beyond adding years to your life.

I would think that the sleeve would increase life expectancy because it doesn't have the long term complications associated with RNY. Basically, if losing a lot of weight would increase your life expectancy, I would think the sleeve would increase your life expectancy. But... yeah, we'll probably have to wait a long time for studies on this.

Well, for me, every day is a bonus. I was given 1 year to live if I didn't get the weight off me. That was June of 2011. I had VSG in August, 2011. I'm fairly sure that I can expect to see my Surgiversay, barring accidents.

My late mother in law had a VSG-type surgery for stomach cancer and lived to 73. She had a total of 4 bouts of cancer, and she passed in late July, 2011. But, she lived successfully with her stomach surgery for over 15 years, even dealing with chemotherapy and all the meds she took.

There is a movement that claims the people who barely eat live longer than those who eat regular meals. I'll have to ask for the name of it because there is a group of those devotees in my community. The premise seems to be that eating small amounts of food increases the metabolism and turns on our inner fountain of youth.

I think that VSG increases our life span, no matter what. Even if we don't reach goal quickly, the sleeve helps us take off significant amounts of weight, which means our bodies aren't struggling as hard just to do the basics. That's got to have positive benefits on our longevity!! :)

I just came across this article Bariatric Surgeons in Los Angeles Discuss Recent Gastric Sleeve Statistics -- it

was pubished in May 2012. (http://www.execdigit...eeve-statistics) It sort of reads like an ad for a surgeon, but it included this stat:

The ASMBS statistics also show that of the 15 million people with morbid obesity, less than 1% (220,000) of the clinically eligible population underwent a bariatric surgical procedure in 2009 to correct their condition, despite evidence from similar studies that report patients may improve their life expectancy by as much as 89% with surgery.

I'm not sure where that 89% comes from, but that sounds pretty impressive! (Of course, the words MAY and BY AS MUCH AS make this stat very different than saying it increases average life expectancy by X% on average.)

Thanks for the responses. I am just having anxiety that I am going to reduce my lifespan by doing this vs losing weight naturally. Which is funny because it is not like I have a clear choice. I can lose weight on my own but have never kept it off. So it's the fantasy that I could lose weight and keep it off without surgery. My Kaiser intro to WLS class said there is a 5% chance of losing a lot of excess weight and keeping it off. WLS is an 80% chance. So I know my odds are better with WLS. Plus the benefit of possibly never getting diabetes which runs in my family...

Think of it this way: what would your life span be if you didn't have the surgery? Considering that most of us here are either quite obese or morbidly obese our chances of living a long life are very slim. At least this surgery will help us get that long life. Also, from what I have read, and what Lissa had mentioned, is that other people have had this surgery for things like cancer and ulcers and have lived a very long life. Things to keep in mind.

Yes, I'm still waiting for my date but I say quality over quantity. I wouldn't want to be 80 the way I am now. I would gladly give up 20 years and die at 60 to just LIVE! Instead of exist!