Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What The Heck Was That? Scary...

Hello VST Family -

Counting on you to weigh in (no pun intended) on what the heck happened to me last night. So for dinner I had a veggie burger and a little broccoli. A dinner I've eaten at least 20-30 times since being sleeved in September, 2011. About 30-40 mins after I'm done with dinner. I start feeling really queasy, like I was going to have to throw up, or have explosive diarrhea. I went to the bathroom, but nothing happened. At this point, I was clammy and sweating and my heart was pounding out of my chest. I had the worst stomach cramps EVER and I called out to my hubby to come and help me get to the couch to lie down. He of course, would have preferred walking me to the car and then taking me to the ER, but I convinced him that if I could just sit and gather myself, I'd be ok. So for the next 30 minutes or so, he and the dog watched me huff and puff to control my breathing and sqirm in pain. I could not get comfortable on the couch, but I was also too weak and in pain to sit up or stand. I was sooo incredibly miserable that I probably started panicking (which of course did not help matters). My wonderful husband is telling me to focus on my breating to get my heart rate down and I am sweating bullets at this point. He turns on a fan to help me and then gets me a cool rag for my head. After about 30 mins, the pain starts to subside and I can tell the worst if finally over. Still terrifying, but almost over. At the end of the "episode" I fall asleep on the couch in exhaustion. My hubby tells me to go up to bed and I'm still shaky and lightheaded. He checks on me a couple of times during the night.

Question: What was that? I have NEVER in all my 44 years experienced anything like this. I did consume more sugar and carbs than usual yesterday. Was that dumping? If so, I will NEVER, EVER, EVER, do that again. I'm afraid to eat even today. LESSON LEARNED. Thanks for letting me share my story. I was sure I was having a heart attack. Today I feel still a little shaky, but much better.

Have you had your gallbladder removed? This kind of sounds like a gallbladder attack to me. Did it feel like there was a balloon in your stomach and it was about to pop? From what I've seen here, a lot of people wind up getting their gallbladder out after surgery so this might be the case. You may need to get a sonogram to double check it.

I know the VSG vets will weigh in put want to put that out there as an option. Glad you're feeling better.

Hello Pagie,

A couple things I would advise to check with your doctor about. One your gallbladder. This could be a result from gallstones. I had my gallbladder out many years ago and I had major attacks with the same symptoms you have listed. NOT a great feeling. They wont kill you it just feels like it.

Two: Anxiety attacks. Even if you have gone your entire life without having an issue of anxiety it is an enigma that haunts women mostly. I have had this issue as well for many years(under control now thank goodness) and first I thought I was having a heart attack!.. SCARY! but the attacks (for me) were much the same as how the gallbladder attacks were. The attacks for both the gallbladder as well as the anxiety will come at any time and be triggered by anything.

I would check with your family doc on these things.. It could be neither of those things but wouldnt hurt to ask about those. Now days the gallbladder surgery's are done laprosopically so minimally invasive and Anxiety issues can be treated in many different ways. Some without medication of anykind. However, there are some medications on the market now that can be used to treat Anxiety that are non addictive and dont have the side effects that some of the others do.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

I agree with kczar this sound like what my husband would go through.

Sounds kind of like dumping, although you're missing a few key symptoms (like normally when people dump, "nothing" isn't what happens on the toilet!). I agree with others that it could definitely be GB. GB attacks vary so widely there's really nothing specific to look for. Contrary to popular belief, they can come after healthy meals (lots of people think only fatty meals will trigger them).

One of my worst attacks came after I'd eaten tofu. And I had several attacks when I hadn't even eaten. And although it's not the most common presentation, mine would always feel like a stomach thing, like I had to poop or something, but not exactly (and sometimes they did give me diarrhea) - and the area that was uncomfortable would move around, almost like gas. Partly due to this, it took about 2 yrs to correctly diagnose it as GB. I kept getting tested for ulcers & other stomach malfunctions. I didn't sweat or get light-headed during my attacks, and I didn't have intense pain, but I would have enough pain/discomfort that I couldn't get back to sleep (mine always seemed to strike around 2 in the morning, and last for hours & hours) and I was constantly very uncomfortable. I basically just sat in bed and rocked myself until it would subside enough that I could go back to sleep, or it was time to get showered for work.

If you have your GB still, def. talk to your doc about this. GB removal is a breeze. And it's super common for WLS patients to need theirs out.

This may sound weird, but I've had similar symptoms from Constipation. Sometimes, when I don't have enough Protein, I'll get cold, drenching sweats, but no stomach pain.

thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm going to look these things.

Sounds like a gallbladder stone attack to me. I had episodes like that years ago after losing weight and had to have my gallbladder removed. Just recently had VSG on 4/6 and my doctor said glad your gallbladder is already out since it is very common after WLS.

Are you taking Actigall, or another gallbladder medicine to prevent stones?

the first six month out I took a urso? something. my surgeon d/c'd it after my six month check up.

the first six month out I took a urso? something. my surgeon d/c'd it after my six month check up.

Ursodial...the same thing as Actigall...Kathe