Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on April 6th. I am so ready to add exercise to my daily routine. I am already walking but I noticed my arms really need some help. What can I do (outside of the gym) to get them toned?

Corina

I was sleeved 3/29 and last week started lifting a 5pound weight while watching tv. Nothing too strenuous. This week I kicked up the reps with the same 5 pound weight and added in some additional arm exercises and I am pretty sure I pulled a stomach muscle. :-(. I was so proud of myself last night for all the reps and then all day I have felt VERY sore on my left side in the muscles. So just be cautious if you choose to do weights at this point.

my arms are flabby, but not as bad as I expected....I work out with kickboxing to help, there is a lot of punching bags and push ups to tone the arms. I had someone complement my legs today, I was wearing a mini skirt! she was a skinny woman, and she asked me what I did to have such great legs...haha

Just exercise anyway you feel you are up to. I love getting muscles where there used to be fat, it definatly helps make the loose skin not look so bad when you have muscles peeking through :)

Yep! I'm with God's Grace... I started with light hand weights whilst watching TV... focus on the front and back -tri and biceps... pull out from the side etc. Start with fairly low reps and then increase as you feel stronger. Don't push it as you're only 4wks out and your tummy is still healing. You will feel the benefit before you 'see' it, but you will see it in the end.

Once you are cleared for full exercise, start doing some press ups and arm dips. Localised exercises are great, you can do them at any time and they only take 10-15 mins.

Have a look on youtube for some advise on how to do the moves correctly - if you don't know or have forgotten - and start when you are ready. Remember to take measurements too!

God luck =]

I second, third and fourth Coops' post! That's pretty much how I did it. Start low and slow and up the reps, not the weight.

Thanks for all the replies... I am so impressed with how supportive and helpful everyone is on this forum... Can't wait to lose as much as you guys have!!

The body is an amazing thing!!! I have had people ask me if I had a face lift! Funny! But who knows where my extra chin went???? But the skin will often just readjust itself.....the arms; hey even thin people have jiggly arms if you don't use weights. One I think is really helpful is where you hold both weights over your head (while you are standing) and then slowly lower them in back of your head. I think it's really good for the upper arms.

I am almost 60 and just wore a strapless dress (photo posted on my blog - website below) this past weekend. Felt great!!!!

QC, I think that's called either a triceps pulldown or a skull crusher, but I do about a hundred of them a day! I use a 5 pound weight in each hand and just let it rip.

lissa - Have are your arms toned up by doing that?

Joni, I have biceps now! And triceps. They are getting better, but I still have a good ways to go. I posted a picture a few days ago of me in my workout clothes so that I'll have a reference for later, but I do see and feel definition and tone. The saggy skin is going to take some time, but I'm hopeful that it will reabsorb as I keep working my arms. The triceps pulldown/skull crushers aren't the only things I do for my arms, though.

The body is an amazing thing!!! I have had people ask me if I had a face lift! Funny! But who knows where my extra chin went???? But the skin will often just readjust itself.....the arms; hey even thin people have jiggly arms if you don't use weights. One I think is really helpful is where you hold both weights over your head (while you are standing) and then slowly lower them in back of your head. I think it's really good for the upper arms.

I am almost 60 and just wore a strapless dress (photo posted on my blog - website below) this past weekend. Felt great!!!!

I saw you in that strapless dress hot mama!!! You go girl! Beautiful!!!

Lissa - my upper arms are my biggest worry. I want them big ole hams gone and not be saggy flabby hanging ugliness!

Joni, Start doing light weights now (or as soon as you are cleared for them) and do high reps with low weight. Your arms (and mine) may never be svelte, but the weights will help tremendously. THAT I can tell you. :) If worse comes to worse, you can always self-tan them...as my friend says, "Tanned fat looks better than pasty white fat". That's why she uses self-tanner. :)

That's so funny but so true! I've used that trick. Thanks for the arm tip too!