Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only Able To Eat About 2Oz's At A Sitting, Need Advice.

I have noticed that the max I can eat per meal is around 2 oz of mushies. This raises a question for me. If I am only supposed to eat 3 meals and 3 Snacks at a sitting yet I can only consume 2oz's or sometimes less of mushies then how will I get in enough calories to avoid going into starvation mode? Also I'm only supposed to eat for 30 minutes and then stop but it is taking me an average time of 1 hour and 5 minutes to get those 2oz's down comfortably. Any advice on how I can work this out? I'm never hungry but I don't want to rob my body of the calories it needs to function properly and if I try to eat faster I risk pain and discomfort so I'm a little puzzled by these rules. I am averaging about 500 calories a day and am 3 weeks post op.

I have noticed that the max I can eat per meal is around 2 oz of mushies. This raises a question for me. If I am only supposed to eat 3 meals and 3 Snacks at a sitting yet I can only consume 2oz's or sometimes less of mushies then how will I get in enough calories to avoid going into starvation mode? Also I'm only supposed to eat for 30 minutes and then stop but it is taking me an average time of 1 hour and 5 minutes to get those 2oz's down comfortably. Any advice on how I can work this out? I'm never hungry but I don't want to rob my body of the calories it needs to function properly and if I try to eat faster I risk pain and discomfort so I'm a little puzzled by these rules. I am averaging about 500 calories a day and am 3 weeks post op.

I meant to say I am only supposed to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day...lol

I puzzled over this too until my surgeon said stop worrying about it and just eat what i comfortably could. I ate three 2 oz meals and it took me an hour too. I also ate a few Snacks just like you. It worked for me. I was staying around 400-500 calories a day for about 6 months. I did not go into starvation mode but I did have a plateau here and there and thats normal. I am almost 9 months out now and i still only eat about 800 calories a day. It is working for me just fine. I am down to a size 6-8 and have lost 82 pounds. Its slower now but still working. Dont worry, just eat what you can and try to make most of it Protein and drink your fluids!

Girl, I'm there with you. I feel like I'm eating all day but how am I supposed to only eat 3 meals a day and one snack minimum???? AND I am not getting enough calories. I'm soooo there with you!

Wait will you still lose weight having that few calories though Forensikchic? Well I guess so, you've done it... I thought I would go into starvation mode and just stay there, holding onto every lb.? Glad to know that's not the case, phew.

Girl, I'm there with you. I feel like I'm eating all day but how am I supposed to only eat 3 meals a day and one snack minimum???? AND I am not getting enough calories. I'm soooo there with you!

Wait will you still lose weight having that few calories though Forensikchic? Well I guess so, you've done it... I thought I would go into starvation mode and just stay there, holding onto every lb.? Glad to know that's not the case, phew.

I'm glad you feel relieved too! I was really starting to worry about that because we really need our nutrients to heal. I'm ok with losing slower and having stalls just as long as my body is getting healthier and not weaker from not enough food. :)

I puzzled over this too until my surgeon said stop worrying about it and just eat what i comfortably could. I ate three 2 oz meals and it took me an hour too. I also ate a few Snacks just like you. It worked for me. I was staying around 400-500 calories a day for about 6 months. I did not go into starvation mode but I did have a plateau here and there and thats normal. I am almost 9 months out now and i still only eat about 800 calories a day. It is working for me just fine. I am down to a size 6-8 and have lost 82 pounds. Its slower now but still working. Dont worry, just eat what you can and try to make most of it Protein and drink your fluids!

Thanks for the input Forensikchic! That really puts my mind at ease. I'll just eat what I can comfortably in that hours time and then call it quits until the next meal. I tend to eat slower because I DO NOT want to ever have to experience sliming or vomitting and so far so good so I guess slower is better in my case. Thanks for the advice and congrats on your awesome success! :)

I am right there with you SLIM and 4A, and Forensic...I am three weeks post op and diligently trying to get it all right, but sometimes I fall short in liquid, Protein intake and calories. I am what is considered a slow loser, I guess, because three weeks out I have only lost ten pounds, however, I have lost 20inches and a lot more active--walking, walking horse and cleaning horse stall, etc. It can be a bit discouraging, but I tell myself patience and just keep trying to do my best.

I am 4 1/2 months out and cannot get in over 800 calories a day and I am losing just fine. My doctor says between 800-900 t I get to my oal which is only 11 lbs. a day. rink a couple rtd Protein shakes each day to get our nutrients in.