Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The other thing that pushed me over the edge was finding out that my insurance changed as of Jan 1st and the sleeve was not covered (but they did cover gastric bypass and lapband). I was preapproved for the sleeve on my old insurance so I decided to go for it. I went to the same surgical practice for the two operations but actually had different surgeons. My original one went on vacation for the month of December so I was promoted to the chief surgeon! They were both awesome and I am very happy with them. One thing I considered is that these guys do a fairly high number of sleeves and a decent number of revisions. Nothing like the higher volume Mexican docs, but pretty good by local standards. The sleeve is now the main weight loss procedure they perform so they have worked the kinks out. i feel like they have seen it

all before and my chances were better of having low complications. The sleeve isn't that complex of a surgery, but the scar tissue and all that can make the stapling an issue. Especially if you are a revision, seek out an experienced surgeon with as good of a history as you can find.

Did you really join this forum in 2006? That is a long time - they weren't doing many sleeves then, were they? I was under the impression that it has been more like the last 3-5 years that the sleeve surgeries became so popular.

I joined lapbandalm back in 2006 wheni was firts banded somthat why my date is so old, lol. I guess both sites are affiliated.

But how does a dr know how much scar tissue you would have ? Doesnt he need to wait until he see when he does the surgery? I dont think xrays show it

I'm getting a revsion and my surgeon said there was no way to know about scar tissue until he's "in there". So, while I'm hoping for an all-in-one procedure (removal of band and the sleeve), if there's too much scar tissue, he'll close me up and I'll have to do the sleeve in a couple of months.

Yeah, from what he said, there's no way to know ahead of time.

I had my band to sleeve revision April 9,2012. My doctor told me the same thing, he wouldn't know about scar tissue until he was inside. I was scared too, but after, he said the band slipped right off and no scar tissue. I am 4 weeks post op and down 38 lbs with no more band issues. It will be fine. Don't let your nerves get the best of you!!!! Good Luck!!!!!!