Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from South-Western Ontario?

Hi people out in Lap-Land,

I'm a raw newbie at this - but here goes.

I've been considering this procedure for a few months now and done some research on the web but this is the first Canadian group I've found - thank God! I have some questions as I am not too close to a big metropolis.

If I decide to "do the deed" is there anywhere in south-western Ontario that I can go (apart from Toronto) to get my fills? I don't mind going to Toronto for the procedure but I can't see myself travelling up there every month. It will blow in an entire day. And how often do you go to get your fills anyway? I saw someone mention that one clicnic doesn't charge for fills (is this right?).

I know I should go over to the main site and check out more general stuff (I will) but does anyone have any recommendations about who to go to for the surgery?

I'll keep my questions to only a few next time - Thanks!

Hello Taymac,

Welcome to the lap band site, the only experience i have is with Dr. Cobourn at the Surgical Weight Loss Program at The Plastic Surgery Clinic in Mississauga.

I can tell you my own experience with him, I found him to be a very kind and understanding Dr. as well as having a great bedside manner.

Other lap banders have also had great experience at the TLBC clinic in Toronto.

I have no knowledge of fill Dr's. in South Western Ontario, but what ever clinic you decide to go with should be able to tell if there are any.Yes the clinic that you choose to do your surgery will do fills at no cost. Another Dr. may charge you to do fills, I do not know what the cost would be for that.

I had my surgery in May, and I will tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. After failing at so many diets, this tool has helped me a lot. I am very happy with my decision.

As for fills, you do not need fills every month, you only need them if you are having no restriction with your food intake, and the weight is not coming down as it should. The first one is usually done after six weeks, when any swelling from the surgery has gone. I have only had the one fill and for now I do not need another one. Some people do need more than one before they reach enough restriction with their food intake.

I hope this helps you a little bit. I am sure other lap banders will give you more info. later. This site is not usually this quiet.

Maria:)

Hi Taymac and welcome!

I agree with all that IrishMist said (about the fills etc).

I went to Drs Joffe & Yau at TLBC in Toronto and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. They have free fills for life there.

You are doing the right thing...coming on here and researching like crazy!!! This site helped me a lot when I was pre-band. The search button is particularly useful.

I wouldn't worry too much about going to TO for fills....you're lucky you can do it in a day (I too, use up a day to go)....many people end up flying in to TO from other provinces....so we're actually quite fotunate!

Good luck!

IrishMist and Yoda,

Thanks for the info! You've both been very helpful (and encouraging!) The two Doctors that you both mention are the two places I've narrowed it down to. I'm going to consider my options and then call this morning. I feel like I've found some place at last to talk about things.

One last question but it may be a bit personal (and a bit related to my comment above) - did you ever tell anyone (apart from close family/spouse/partner) what you were undertaking? I've been on so many "diets" and weight-loss attempts that I'm embarassed to talk about this (lap-band) to anyone. In the past when I've talked to close freinds about it they've pooh-poohed the idea so I don't want to mention it again but I'm wondering if it is possible to carry on a sort of "normal" life and not advertise the fact. And just lose the darn weight.

How do you handle it? - Thanks for everything.

Hi Taymac! Welcome! My experience is with Dr. Cobourn. I LOVE him, he is a awesome docter. I totally agree with irishmist and yoda on the fill thing. I live north of Toronto, but have only had to drive to the clinic a few times. Again, I agree with the others, I would get banded again in a second!!!!!! I only told my immediate family about my banding. I didnt want to tell anyone else before in case of negative feedback in the form of "just trying to help". Now that it is done, I don't care who knows.:rolleyes:

Hi, everyone..

I'm so glad of this group. I have my date with Dr.Coburn on Sept. 15..less than a month to go! I'm so glad everything I've read here about him is good.

I totally agree with not telling others ( hubby and some close family of course I'd tell..otherwise who will drive me home after my surgery) but really it is no one elses business, people will try to bring you down and poo-poo on your ideas so that they don't have to realize what they need to change. People get jealous, and will look apond this as some easy way out, quick fit...which we all no it's not and we still have to do the work.

Just my two cents. I want people to just notice one day that I've lost weight, not asking me how it's going every week, and having expectations for me.:rolleyes:

Only two weeks till I start on the opti-fast...did any of you binge your last weeks..before everything changes?

Hi Cloe and Swanny,

Great to hear from you both. I started the wheels in motion this morning - with Dr. Coburn. They've said I can do my initial consult by phone and then take it from there. Approximately how long was it before the consult? They are saying 4-6 weeks after the consult for the procedure.

Way to go Swanny! Sept 15th is really close. What sort of tests did you have to undertake before getting your date for surgery? I suddenly feel like binging already just thinking about it.

I'm glad about both your feelings about "telling" people - I feel the same way. I guess I'm a little embarassed, like I can't manage to lose the weight myself.Anyway, it's nice to hear from folks who have done it and someone who is just heading into it. Thanks!

PS - how do you get those pictures next to your name to appear at the top of the email? - the snowman and the cat?

Hi Tarmac

Glad to hear you decided to go with Dr.Cobourn you will not be disappointed with him. 4 to 6 weeks sounds about right.

I know what you mean about feeling embarassed, I failed at every diet I started, so no I did not want anyone to know about the lap band surgery, just my family members and one friend who encouraged me to go for it.

The pictures are called avatars, if you click on User CP you will get a scroll down menu, click on Edit Avatar, and scroll through until you find something you like, check it and then on the bottom of the page click on save changes.

Some of the people have their own personal pictures by their name, that I do not know how to do.

Hi Swanny and taymac

Welcome guys!

I am going with dr. mumford aug 31! He works with dr. cobourn and he's fabulous.

I didn't tell anyone except my dh, my sister and my best friend.

I'm in south western on too, it is a 3 1/2 hour drive to mississauga, but i think it's worth it, bec. i want the best for myself. Hey if we're gonna do this, we may as well do it right, right?

for fill, i think i want the one who put the darn thing in to fill it :rolleyes:

I only told my husband, my parents (who live far far away!!) and 2 very close friends (one who also had it done).

If you want to see what others' views are on this, there are a few threads on the "General" site that you can find by doing a search.

Personally, I wanted (and still want) to keep it to myself for a variety of reasons, the least of which I didn't want to be under a microscope. Plus, even though if you tell people, they may be "supportive" and nice about it to your face...behind your back, that isn't necessarily the case at all (even with friends). I've experienced this with my friend who had it done (and told everyone!)....she thinks everyone is "with her" and supportive but she would be surprised about what they are saying behind her back. Of course I stand up for her...but it is disturbing!!

Neenagh,

So nice to hear from you again, I was wondering what happened to you, we had not heard from you for a while.

Actually I did not mind the Optifast, I had to do it for 3 weeks, the last few days before the surgery date were the worst, the chocolate flavor I did not mind but, the vanilla one I got sick of.

Two more weeks for you Neenagh, are you getting excited, it will be the start of a whole new life for you.:rolleyes: :clap2:

Hi Neenagh,

How far south are you? I'm in Windsor - sounds like you might be somewhere around London? Did you make a visit for your initial consult or did you go in to Mississauga? And did you get your Opti-fast locally or did you do it through the Clinic? So many questions ...

I'm pleased to meet you as well and feel suddenly very excited about hearing about your appointment being so close. The Opti-Fast thing sounds a bit grim. I've read other posts where people have been eating normal things right up to midnight before the operation!

What sort of things should I expect with the initial consult - do they check out your band-worthiness? Like whether you are the sort that can stay the course and really make it work? Or is it mostly medical stuff?

By the way - I checked out going to Detroit which is only about 7 minutes away. Lots of clinics there - they actually come over here quite frequently to give seminars for those wanting to explore the options of Lap-Banding. But when I checked out the prices... yikes - $25,000 ++ US dollars.

Anyway, I'll be looking for your progress notes on this site. Everyone who has posted on this thread have been really supportive (and very knowledgable).

Tay.

Everyone who has posted on this thread have been really supportive (and very knowledgable).

Tay.

MMMMWWWAAAAAA.....we have you fooled!!! ahahahahaha!!!!

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Hi Neenagh,

How far south are you? I'm in Windsor - sounds like you might be somewhere around London? Did you make a visit for your initial consult or did you go in to Mississauga? And did you get your Opti-fast locally or did you do it through the Clinic? So many questions ...

I'm pleased to meet you as well and feel suddenly very excited about hearing about your appointment being so close. The Opti-Fast thing sounds a bit grim. I've read other posts where people have been eating normal things right up to midnight before the operation!

What sort of things should I expect with the initial consult - do they check out your band-worthiness? Like whether you are the sort that can stay the course and really make it work? Or is it mostly medical stuff?

By the way - I checked out going to Detroit which is only about 7 minutes away. Lots of clinics there - they actually come over here quite frequently to give seminars for those wanting to explore the options of Lap-Banding. But when I checked out the prices... yikes - $25,000 ++ US dollars.

Anyway, I'll be looking for your progress notes on this site. Everyone who has posted on this thread have been really supportive (and very knowledgable).

Tay.

Hi tay!

I went to miss. for the consult. I thought that it was too important not to go and meet the doc, see whether I got good vibes or not, etc. Also meeting and talking to the doc convinced dh that this was a good idea, too.

The consult was about an hour long! really! Everyone at the clinic is super friendly and knowledgable and KIND. Dr. M. took great pains to explain everything to me, and explained to my husband why obese people are the way they are. Not because we are lazy gluttons, but a host of factors including genetics, brain chemistry, social issues, our upbringing, culture, stress, hormones, etc... HE WAS FANTASTIC.

no question was too dumb. They do weigh you and measure your height. as long as your bmi is over 35 i think your ok, but you do have to go for a preop physical (with your own doc) two weeks before. they also have you do blood work and if your over 45 an ecg.

You don't have to get undressed. (I posted here asking if I needed new panties for the consult, much to everyone's hilarity)

You have to buy the Optifast from them. It was about $165? i think. He wants your liver to shrink before the surgery, as he has to move it over to get to you stomach.

The consult is $200 which gets applied to your surg, also you have to pay $500 to book the surg, which also gets applied to the surg. two weeks before your surgery you pay the balance, which is $15,300.

I looked into detroit too, and was shocked at the price!

btw as far as the Optifast goes, i whine, but its just moderately awful, and I keep reminding myself its for a good cause!

Best of luck on your journey ((hugs))