Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Daily Allowances Post Sleeve?

So apparently my surgeons office is currently Nut-less, funny in a juvenile way (yes, I totally snickered when I wrote it ;) but not so helpful for those of us so early in our journey!

I know the Protein levels and liquids I'm supposed to get now but I need to know about the other nutrional criteria for sleevers - Is there a change in the recommended daily allowance of carbs/sodium/etc. for sleevers? should I be taking in a lesser amount of sodium than a non-sleeved individual, and if so, whats my max number so I can stay under that?

I've been on the governments website but thats not helpful. I've searched on here but all my searches seem to bring back info on specific recipes, not max numbers for the day to use as a meter. It would seem logical to me that since we are taking in much less food that there should be adjusted numbers for us but I don't know where to find them. Can anyone help with this? Thank you so much =)

This is a very good question and I am going to ask my Dr. on my first post-op appt this Friday. I know we have to decrease our carbs but they are necessary and I don't feel comfortable eliminating them.

I have had to eliminate mine and they do not show back up on the diet plan for 2 to 3 months

My doc tells me to keep carbs under 40g per day and fats 10-15g per day, but I've seen other people post about their doc's plans letting them go up to 60g carbs. The general rule is 60-70% of your caloric intake should be lean sources of Protein, and always more Protein than carbs. The is a complete lifestyle change, so it's not like it's ok if you still have ice cream everyday in small amounts or potato chips if you're still under in your carbs. You need to eat more healthy period to get the nutritional value out of your food. Most people use an app on the web/phone called MyFitnessPal which will help you monitor Fiber, sugar, etc. You still want to try to get 12-20g of Fiber daily, which is really hard on our diets.

As for sodium, it's really hard to go over the daily recommended allowance of 1500-2300 (the lower for higher age and high-blood pressure groups). Unless you're eating all high-sodium Soups and salting EVERYTHING. I barely hit 1000 on most days now. You're electrolytes will most likely be a little low in the first month or so because you're not eating as much fruit and vegetable. I had to be given prescription potassium to get through.