Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

everytime I eat it's different

The amount I can eat, the type of food I can eat, the speed at which I can eat, etc - it's different everytime. Some days I can eat alot, other days not much. Some days I can eat bread, other days I can't. Some days I can eat 1/2 a lettuce wrap, some days I can eat 2 whole lettuce wraps.

It's driving me crazy!!!

I used to just not worry about it, but for some reason this past week I am worried about it. Everytime I have a meal where I can eat more I worry that my band has slipped and that's why I'm eating more. I'm paranoid. I am going to get a fill next week - I know that is one reason I am eating more.

But that leads me to another question - how come the fills are so so so tight at 1st and then 3-4 months later I get back to where I can eat almost a full normal size non-bandster dinner. Why does the feeling of the fill go away.

Last thing - alot of times when I eat the first 1/2 of the meal feels almost as if they are going to get stuck, but then usually, kind of all of a sudden, the band opens up and I can eat more easily.

Any thoughts?

Yes I feel the same thing as far as some days I can eat everything and lots of it, and others not much. I am on my 2 fill and am hoping for the fill that sticks.

I'm the same way. I've been able to tie it to a few things, sometimes, but for the most part I'm very random. Things I know will affect me are onset of TOM, flying, weather (e.g. hot/humid vs cool/humid), and time of day. But other than those relatively few "knowns", I'm very random. I can be wide open at Breakfast & lunch, then PB at dinner even though dinner is usually when I'm the widest. I can eat my "easy" foods one day, then have to wait 15 mins between bites the next day. I'll eat a whole chicken breast one day, and 3 bites the next. Most of the time there is rno rhyme or reason other than my band has bipolar disorder.

I've just had my fifth fill and am a bit like this now. I'm not a worrier by nature though so I dont really fuss about it.

But I bought lunch while out yesterday - a lamb and salad kebab and a coffee - knowing I wouldnt be able to eat the whole thing of course, I mean come on a huge pita bread full of shaved lamb and salad? But BOY was I mad when I could only take 3 bites - it cost me 10 bucks! Then I proceeded to eat a huge dinner last night!

Its become more erratic with this fill, I wasnt so bad before.

But I think I've realised that I'd rather work with what I have now - JUST able to eat any food and in OK (not tiny) quantities - than to get tighter and start having annoying problems like this.

Its a personal thing, but if its really bothering you you could always have some fill out.

hi i feel this 2, i can eat a meal 1 day the try 2 eat the same meal the next day n it wont go down, makes me vomit. think its alot 2 do with how u feel on the day if u r tensed or worried ya stomach muscles tense up 2 maiking it harder 4 food 2 pass thro the band that is what i have found ! if u relaxed and happy u can eat a portion easier. i had a big appetite the last 2 days n ate lots more than what i should of but 3 days previous 2 that i kept absolutley nothing down, that happens quite alot 2 me, i just accept it now and take my Vitamins 1st thing in morning so i know im not going 2 vomit them up when i meet with the food. its a strange situation buts thats my experience of it.

I was told that the stomach gets thinner as we lose weight, so the band is not as tight. Think of your belt, as you lose weight the belt needs to be tightned, so does the band. ~Mandy

Oh and here is a weird one for you, I PB'd iced tea today. I drank a biggish drink of iced tea at 6am and it violently came back up through my nose. I can't eat solids in the am and I am well aware of this, but liquids have never been a problem. I guess the ice coldness of it locked up my band and it had to come back up. ~Mandy

Glad to hear that I am not the only one. My band is so fickle. The rules seem to change meal to meal or even bite to bite. Often a particular food will be fine, then the very next time NO WAY. Only constant is that bread does not work at all for me. Can get quite confusing and challenging. DH will ask "is there anything at this restraunt you can eat?" I can only laugh and say "We will see." Try to keep a sense of humor about it - it is an adventure.

I've felt this way with my band empty, with a 1cc fill and even with a 1.5cc fill, which by the way was taken out because it was too tight! I think I've just decided not to let this frustrate me but rather to look at it like a blessing in disguise. I want to learn to control my eating disfuctions so if I ever lose this band I'll be better able to cope with going it alone. These days when I have to exercise self control are trainng days. The days when I'm tighter are blessings because they help balance out the entire process by taking some of the pressure off of me to make right choices. To me.. its a great blend.

I know exactly what you mean. Have been going thru this since my last fill.

My sweet Jack calls the band a "fickle silicone fist." Guess he named it that for a reason. :love:

Jacqui,

When you say you had to stop after 3 bites......was it something like 1st bite syndrome or were you just done? The reason I ask is because I do this constantly, but if I drink something warm beforehand it seems to help 75% of the time and I can continue eating.......too much. Should I take this as a sign to completely stop instead of letting it pass and continuing on?

I know what you mean. Some days I can eat certain foods and other days I can't. It is so frustrating, especially when eating out because I may order what is normally a "safe" food and all of a sudden, there I am running to the ladies room to PB.

Thanks for all the reassurance that everything is fine. I think I just need a fill, and I am getting one next week. Also, I think I spent the last 3 months worrying about the bar exam (which is why I have been MIA on this board) and now my mind doesn't know what to do with not having anything to worry about, so it is back to worrying about my band! My fickle, fickle band! But oh how I love my fickle band anyways!