Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost Here...

Joni
Sign in to follow this  

I agree notime - my NUT is low fat this and fat free that. I'm thinking, heck if I'm eating a tiny bit, you had bet your booty I am using real mayo!! I totally agree.

Well today was Cinco de mayo and we had some friends over so I think I might have over done it a bit. I made some virgin piña coladas for the kids and thought since that was a liquid I would try it. Totally forgetting about the sugar content in the pineapple juice I had a half a glass and boy did it go down easy. And then 30 mins. Later well, let's say it didnt last. The dr. Told me I could advance to a soft diet (anything I could swish with a fork is considered soft). Well stupid me thought to myself....hummmm, I can squish a grilled hotdog I will try that, it tasted awesome and so I was able to eat a little less than half of one but I will have to say it definately made me feel like crap. I didn't start felling better for an hour. Totally was not worth it. I also started to accually tell when I was getting full before I got there. I know I was really bad today and I have been compliant up to this point. But, boy what a reality check. Not quite ready for hotdogs yet. I am going to try a hard boiled egg tomorrow morning without the yolk, if that is ok that will probably be my main source of Protein. I did find eggbeaters egg whites portion size (2 egg white) At the grocery store. Managed to get all my fluids in. My dr. Said that the Protein Shakes should be recorded as liquid intake. I will try to post tomorrow.

notime - I tried the fage tonight. I took 1/4 cup, added a little splenda and vanilla extract. It was still too sour for me so I added a little honey, and was able to somewhat like it. What is your fav way to eat it?

Sheila - I think it's going to be sorta try it and learn what works for awhile. I took a little bit of my husband's cheeseburger meat and chewed the hell out of it. It was sooo good and I had no problem with it. I also tried one bite of scrambled egg with cheese today that tasted great.

notime - I tried the fage tonight. I took 1/4 cup, added a little splenda and vanilla extract. It was still too sour for me so I added a little honey, and was able to somewhat like it. What is your fav way to eat it?

Joni, I'm sorry you didn't like Fage and after all of my hyping it, too. In Greece, I was always served yogurt with honey and loved it that way. Now I don't get that luxury and I eat it either plain or with some natural fruit juice. I love the sour taste and I do not like Splenda or other fake sugars. I wonder what Splenda and blended up unsweetened fruit would do? It can also be served as a dollop on top of some Soups, such as butternut squash although, with our tiny stomachs, we wouldn't be able to eat any Soup and a dollop, too!!!

When it comes down to it, I would be hard pressed to meet my liquid and Protein requirements without Fage. I will not go the dreaded Protein Drink route.

Joni, I did some on-line research and found this recipe:

• 3 C. cold fat free milk
  • 1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Vanilla Flavor Fat Free sugar free Instant Reduced Calorie pudding & Pie Filling
  • 1 8 oz. container plain low fat yogurt
  • 1 C. crushed ice
  • 1 medium banana, cut in chunks
  • Blend it all up and drink it. If you don't like the consistency, let it stand a little while and it will get thicker.
  • I also found a Fage site with recipes. http://www.fageusa.com/recipes/category/popular/1/ Here's one of them.

• Ingredients:
    • 10.6 oz FAGE Yogurt
    • 9.3 fl oz Orange and Passion fruit Low Calorie Juice
    • ½ Fresh Banana
    • 2 oz Blueberries

Preparation Directions:

1. Blend all ingredients together in food processor.
    2. Serve very chilled and think of the summer.

Thanks so much! I went to the website and took a look too. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm determined to make myself like it because of the high Protein count!

I also dont like the fage. I was thinking of trying to find some recipes to hide the taste, so thanks for the recipe and link. I am going to go to Walmart today and pick up a few things and try to find a way to get the fage down, I just cannot do Protein drinks!!! Yuck, they all have a smell and an aftertaste to me.

Thanks for all your kind words. Yes both of my sons are still recovering in different ways I guess. My oldest (head injury) short term memory is shot, and he has trouble grasping new information which has been a real pia as he is a freshman in high school this year. It has been really rough on him, he missed almost the entire first sememster and then trying to catch up with a head injury has almost been impossible. but he goes to an awesome school and they have really worked with him so that has helped. He is very lucky, other than the scars, if you dont know him well you would never know his head was stuck in a windshield while a 3/4ton truck flipped 4 times. Hes lucky to even be alive. My other son (13)had several minor/mod injuries but has done fairly well except for the PTSD. He came to first and climbed out the back windshield and thought his brother was dead. He called 911 but didn't know the name of the road they were on. The truck was billowing smoke and he couldn't get his brothers door open to get him out. He thought he was going to burn up. So this has left some very deep scars on him mentally. Yes it has been an extremely challenging 8 months for my whole family. I thank God every day my kids are still with me, it could have been much worse! Thank you all for your kind words.

You've really been through it, Kellie. I admire your spirit.

Hi Ladies,

Sheila- that hot dog did sound delicious, so thank you for posting your experience so I know it's not worth it :)

I am finding that chicken salad and egg salad so far go down better than most. I tried some scrambled egg last night with a bit of cheese on it and the egg just didn't agree with me. Nothing came up thank goodness, but I felt yucky for a bit.

I'm thankful that my work week is over and went down without any problems......3 days off now and meeting with my NUT this morning which means a 50 mile drive each way :(

Joni- I'm with you, i can't eat Fage...it's too sour for me, but I do like the sounds of the recipes that notime posted (thank you notime)

I made the standard chocolate Unjury Protein Powder with banana/skim milk/ice and love that one oh and thanks Joni for earlier on when you mentioned vanilla Unjury and orange cystal light...Awesome!

I appreciate you ladies and look forward to coming on here and reading the posts.

By the way, the chicken of the sea smoked salmon in the pouch that has a very small piece of salmon in it?? 21 grams of protein!!!

Wow Kellie....talk about an amazing woman!!

I don't know if I would have your strength to carry on and do something for yourself while still going thru everything else. Thank God your children made it! With a mother like you, the rest will work itself out in time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Dogmom3- I too tried the scrambled egg and it too didn't set well. Doc said hat if I try something and it didn't agree to wait and try it in a week. One thing at a time tough. Now I plan on making egg salad and chicken salad later and I will let you know how it goes. Funny how egg salad is ok but scramble them and it is totally different!

Well tomorrow I start puree phase for 2 wks. NUT should be calling me tomorrow to give instructions. I've been having a hard time with getting all fluids in. Yesterday it was all I could do to get in my 3 Protein Drinks to get my Protein and lots of Water. Anything else I tried foodwise in the last few days seems like 1 teaspoon is my limit right now which seems like a ridiculous waste of time really. And I feel like I'm getting weak and even though I'm not hungry, I think my body should be starving. We'll see what NUT says tomorrow. I was going to go back to work today but called surgeon's office, and they said no problem, you can have a month off. So I'm taking it. I don't think I can sit at the computer for hours on end yet.

Today I had a little bit (2 ounces) of Tomato Soup, and it seemed to feel okay in ms. sleevie. I have one more Protein Drink to get in and 30 ounces of Fluid to meet the quota. Gettin' so old. All I think about is Protein and Fluid ounces.........

Sorry about your tough day. Were you unable to eat more Tomato Soup? Hopefully, the nutritionist will be able to give you some good ideas.

I had two shrimp today for dinner--steamed, with cocktail sauce and cut up into the tiniest pieces possible..

notime - that 2 oz made me full...that shrimp sounds wonderful. Are you eating regular food now?

The Tomato Soup is an enigma. Seems as though you ought to be able to get down lots of it.

I was surprised, but steamed seafood, including shrimp is allowed on my soft foods diet. The two shrimp were the largest quantity of food I've been able to eat so far.

We are two weeks out!