Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Postop And Having Difficulty Getting My Liquids In - Help!

Hello, I am one week postop today (4/18). I am having problems getting my liquids. My doctor's instructions for week 1 was to consume 3-4 oz of Fluid for every hour I am awake except during meal time.

I am barely consume 10-15 oz the entire day! I am worried that I may become dehydated or my weight will stall or gain. I try to sip throughout the day but my new sleeve is very sensitive and I have a slight pain every time I sip liquids. The pain goes away after a couple of seconds. I think it is do to the digestian. Also, I am still dealing with gas pains from the surgery.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Congrats ursiboo72 for your surgery and success.

Talk to your doctor about it.

I suggest you use a sports bottle (a regular water bottle with a special nozzle on top that does not allow air to go into your stomach while drinking). Drinking Water is EXTREMELY important because it aids weight loss and prevents formation of stones.

If it's spasms they stopped around ten days out for me, so hopefully they'll fade quickly.

In the beginning I could only tolerate warm or room temperature liquids...but room temp plain Water made me nauseous so I had to use something to flavor it. If you haven't tried it yet, sip warm broth instead of a shake or Water.< /p>

Everyone has trouble getting liquids in but you're going to have an issue with dehydration if you don't improve soon. I'd call your doctor/nurse if you still have issues even after trying warm liquids. Look up the symptoms of dehydration and be aware so you don't have a serious problem.

Once you start drinking more you'll be okay. I didn't regularly get in my liquids and hit my Protein levels until about four months out. It took far longer than I thought it would!

~Cheri

I hope the 15oz is not including your liquid meals cause that it not near enough you need to get close to 64oz daily. Do not let yourself get dehydrated it is the worst pain!If your not still taking pain meds maybe try tylenol liquid for pain to help the pain when drinking keep a Water bottle with you at all times If your tired of plain water add crystal light in the bottle. I had gas bad before leaving hospital nurse said to get gasX which I took after meals and bedtime for a while and it really helped. At least this phase will be over soon! Good luck! just keep sipping!

Hello it's Hope, I was a day ahead of you in TJ. I had my daughter with me. Anyway same issues here but I figured out the warm liquid thing a couple of days ago. I flavor it with lemon it helps it taste better. I started on creamy Soups yesterday they cramped me bad the first day but today going down smoothly. Just hang in there.

Thank you all for the feedback. I realized I need to make a bigger effort to sip more liquids throughout the day. I know I was starting to exhibt signs of dehydration (dry mouth, headache, fatique). Yesterday, I sipped a mixture of warm and cold liquids. I also had 6 oz of vanilla greek yoguart. I felt much better last night.

I purchased a new Water bottle that has oz. measurements up to 64 oz. So, I know if I drink that bottle by the end of the day I will have met my liquid requirement. I keep the bottle with me at all times and take sips. This really is the key for fulfilling the liquid intake. I will admit I was being a bad patient previously. Lesson learned.

Hello it's Hope, I was a day ahead of you in TJ. I had my daughter with me. Anyway same issues here but I figured out the warm liquid thing a couple of days ago. I flavor it with lemon it helps it taste better. I started on creamy Soups yesterday they cramped me bad the first day but today going down smoothly. Just hang in there.

Hi Holly! I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I like adding lemon and lime to my Water. It definately tastes better. I will start cream soups tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it :)

Ooops.. I meant Hope not Holly. Sorry, Just woke up and apparantly I'm not fully awake yet. lol

That's ok everyone calls me Holly I answer either way. Just to let you know today is the first day I can drink faster so hopefully that will happen for you.