Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Out Yesterday!

I'm feeling pretty good after my band removal yesterday afternoon at 4pm. My doc told my hubby that the scarring/stomach was "not bad at all." So I'm hoping that moving forward with the sleeve should be seamless! I'm very worried about the higher leak rate with the conversion, but feel pretty good since the scar tissue wasn't bad.

Also--my doc is sending my band away for pathology. I had been getting fevers (every six months or so...lasting for about 2 days at about 103) over the last 2 years. No explanation. The hospital referred me to a rheumatologist to check for auto immune diseases since unexplained fevers are an indicator. The rheumatologist couldn't find anything either. My band surgeon thinks it might be my body rejecting/fighting the band also. Who knows???!!! Just one more reason to get it out of me. Although I'm scared to death of life without it (even tho it's not helped me at all over the last year and a half--gained 30 pounds since last March).

My 90 day program will be up on Jul 9...hoping to get sleeved over the summer. I work for a couple of very busy law partners and it'll depend on thier vacation schedules etc. I feel like I've been out alot this year (2 week vaction in March!!!) and now all these appointments to prepare for the sleeve. I have the leave and I have short term disability so I shouldn't feel guilty...but I do. :(

Thanks for listening...sorry for rambling. Must be the drugs... :)

Hello! I'm new here too. Like you I tried the lap band and it didn't work for me so I've started my Quest for the sleeve. I'm not sure though I'm thinking maybe I should be going for the gastric since I know I will lose weight with that (my Mom had it about 20 years ago). Is the band removal so early before your sleeve surgery the norm? I'm glad everything went well. Do you have a eating plan that you'll use until surgery?

My doc likes to give the stomach 3 or 4 months to rest before doing the sleeve. I was hoping to get it done at one time, but now understand why some surgeons choose not to...higher leakage rates... Every doctor has their differences.

Lots of people who don't do well with the band can still do well with the sleeve. My surgeon's personal opinion is that if you lost well with the band you should do well with the sleeve. He prefers to do the bypass for those who did not do well with the band and who still have a lot to lose. I lost nearly 80 pounds and only started to gain weight back when complications set in (reflux, dilation). I think the band will be a plus when it comes to how little you'll be able to eat after either procedure.

I don't have a special eating plan...just gotta start doing 5 meals a day...which includes 2 Protein shakes.

Keep me posted!