Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Tolerate Alcoholic Beverages?

Post op I absolutely cannot stomach them. I don't try to booze it up often, mostly I have no desire for it but when I'm having a grown up dinner with my husband I do like to have a glass of wine ... and on Valentine's Day I so wanted to have a glass of champange with him. The first sip and I mean barely wetting my lips with it - I could not tolerate it. It immediately made me feel bad ... a cross between nausea and just turning my stomach completely. Has anyone else experienced this? Or are you guys able to have a drink?

I haven't had much alcohol since my surgery I don't have any craving for it and I used to love a Margarita with Mexican food but since my sleeve I really don't have any desire for it. I did try to have a glass of wine and it didn't set well. I got terrible indigestion and only a few sips and I was feeling the effects of it right away. My husband says I am a cheap date now...LOL My doctor said that he advises all his patients that want to have a drink to do it the first time at home since the alcohol will affect you very quickly. He was right. I was never a big drinker and now I tend to just stick with Water with lemon even when we go out. Everyone is different so try it slowly and see what you think.

Thank you for your reply Dawn

I just wanted to know if it was just me. I had the same exact experience and was so blown away by it. I used to be able to drink alcohol like it was Water. Lol. My life has definitely changed in so many ways but I do enjoy it more now. I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences.

Thank you

I can tolerate it just fine--I didn't drink often pre-sleeve and still don't. I had a margarita about 6 months post-op, and I noticed immediately that it had a much stronger effect on me than pre-op. Now one drink or one glass of wine is more than enough, even with food.< /p>

Now i hardly ever drink but based on the post just before mine i wonder now...can someone get a dui and have a higher bac with less drinks? a cop might ask how many drinks you had and if you had literally 1 drink but register near the legal limit ..they might think you are lying..eh who cares if they think your lying my main concern would be after wls does alchohol effect us differently than others ? do we get drunk faster?

I'm a complete lightweight now but I don't have any issues like what you're describing. Actually, now that I think on it, my reaction to the tannins in wine is more pronounced since surgery and I've been totally unable to drink any wine, white or red, since surgery or I break out in hives. No worries there, though, because I never cared much for wine in the first place.

I regularly drink a mixed drink or two (or three...okay, sometimes four) on the weekends and have no problems, other than being pretty tipsy pretty quickly. Record those calories, though, or you'll be sorry!

I will say that you definitely need to be careful about your limits if you do start drinking. My tolerance is MUCH lower now and I can get drunk very fast if I'm not careful. I also sober up quickly, though, so it's all a trade-off!

~Cheri

It can't be anything with carbonation. IF its carbonated forget about it, it will make me extremely nauseous. But without carbonation I am fine. 1-2 drinks and I am already buzzing. I have become a huge fan of sangria. It goes down very smoothly.

I'm only 2 weeks post op. But I have a trip to Mexico planned in June and I plan on sitting on the beach with a margarita and relaxing, ha ha it may be the same drink all day but I plan on enjoying it. Usually I can down 10 to 12 drinks when on the beach so this will be different but fun anyway