Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop diet an indicator of success?

I'm sitting at work, for the last time before surgery on monday, wondering if my failure to adhere to, or even feel guilty about violating, the pre-op diet is an indicator of future success with the band.

7 days of complete liquid diet... broth and SF Crystal Lite. I made it 2 3/4 days. Wednesday night I decided I was having dinner. Mexican. Thursday, a plate of healthy(ish) chinese food. Friday night, a 6" subway sandwitch. Also, I've thrown in a a couple slim-fasts.

One of the reasons I chose the surgery is because I've dieted in the past, and never make it. I get hungry, I eat. The reason I chose the surgery is that it helps take the hunger factor out of the equation.

The pre-op diet seems a little crazy to me. Odd, I trust the guy to chop me open and re-arrange my inner bits, but not to prescribe a pre-op diet.

Tim:

:Banane27: :lol:;)

You have come to the right place. If you only stick to one thing right now, make it coming to this board everyday, o.k.?

You have already taken a step in the right direction. Now let us help you stay on course!

Everythng is going to be o.k.!! I promise!!!

....One of the reasons I chose the surgery is because I've dieted in the past, and never make it. I get hungry, I eat. The reason I chose the surgery is that it helps take the hunger factor out of the equation.

I completely understand where you are coming from here. My Dr. is only asking that I not eat carbs then liquid diet for 2 days before surgery. I have been reading about Dr.'s requiring lengthy liquid diets pre-op and was thinking to myself "ha ha, if liquid dieting was that easy, I wouldn't need the band".

Obviously I am not a medical professional however I can tell you that I feel exactly the way you do, whatever comfort that gives you.... LOL. Hopefully, the feeling that you aren't out of the norm, but very normal. And I definitely do not think reacting normally is an indication of non-success.

Even that fact that you were honest with us about what you ate this week tells me that you are prepared for success, otherwise you would have pretended like you only had liquids like the Dr. ordered!!!

:clap2:

Even that fact that you were honest with us about what you ate this week tells me that you are prepared for success, otherwise you would have pretended like you only had liquids like the Dr. ordered!!!

I'm still not going to tell the surgeon :Banane27:

There is a medical reason for a surgeon requiring a patient to eat sensibly (whatever his/her version of that may be) for several day before surgery.......the less fat you have on your liver at the time of the surgery, the safer the surgery is. In some instances, finding a heavy layer of fat on the liver when entering the abdomen to insert the band may put a screeching halt to the procedure. Some surgeons will ask permission before you 'go under' to switch to the RNY procedure if the liver is too heavy; some will simply call a halt to the procedure and send you home.

There is a medical reason for a surgeon requiring a patient to eat sensibly (whatever his/her version of that may be) for several day before surgery.......the less fat you have on your liver at the time of the surgery, the safer the surgery is. In some instances, finding a heavy layer of fat on the liver when entering the abdomen to insert the band may put a screeching halt to the procedure. Some surgeons will ask permission before you 'go under' to switch to the RNY procedure if the liver is too heavy; some will simply call a halt to the procedure and send you home.

Very true Gayle. :lol:

Tim was asking if it was an indication of failure and I personally don't think so, as I can see myself having the same challenges or I wouldn't need the Lap-Band.

I really love the dancing bananas. They really crack me up. :Banane27:

No Tim....I don't believe it is an indicator of failure AT ALL.....

no worries....you'll do fine once you are banded!!! You'll have to!! LOL

:rolleyes

OMG Tim..

It is soo not a test for how you are going to be after surgery. I ate like a HOG before my surgery and I was supposed to be on the diet. I tried but I was starving. I mean, comon, you stomach is larger and you have to fill it! Now that I have been banded, my mind just did a 360.. granted, you have to think about food all the time but it is different. I tend to WANT to eat healthier. And fast food doesn't appeal to me at all anymore. Seriously.. I watched that movie Super Size me and ever since then, I am like.. no thanks.

I have come to the conclusion that I have a food addiction. And it is best to just eliminate the triggers. I have read some people on here go to Taco Bell and just get the pinto Beans etc. NO THANKS.. I just stay away completely. I was banded on July 5th and I have not had bread, rice, Pasta since before that and I really dont miss it! I have had some roasted potatoes and mashed potatoes and the occasional saltine but nothing else.

Sorry for rambling but what I am trying to say is, after surgery, after the soreness and all the work, I have come to the conclusion that I put myself thru this, I am NOT going to cheat...

Good Luck and don't worry.. You will be FINE!

DonnaMarie:)

Tim, I don't believe it is in any way an indicator of your success once you have the band. Hey, if we could all stick to diets and follow them 100%, we wouldn't need the band and Inamed would be out of business.

DonnaMarie, I admit I have tried some of the old fastfoods that I used to love, primarily McDonald's hamburger and french fries. I found that now that I have to chew these things to mush or risk a PB, they actually taste really disgusting the more I chew them. It has actually cured me of any desire for those foods. It tastes like I just swallowed a cup of grease and nothing else. YUCK!! :omg:

Tim:

I too am on a pre-op diet. I guess all Dr's are different as some people are and some aren't. I was scheduled for my surgery today, but when I went in last Thursday for my check-up I'd only lost 15 of the 30 lbs he wants me to lose. I was devasted to have my surgery rescheduled. So now it's set for Sept. 11th (I won't forget that date will I). I think I was even more upset that he didn't even seem to acknowledge that I had lost 15 lbs!! And to me, that's amazing. I haven't lost weight in....well I don't know how long. But his reasoning is to lose the fat around the liver and I understand that. But it was frustrating and yes I did cheat. My diet is 3 SlimFasts a day and all the veggies I want. So I'm back on track....again. Will I cheat again? Possibly, but I'm trying really hard not too. I know I have to change my mind set about food and that's the hardest part. But I'm learning....along with everyone else. So keep it up! Don't give up....it'll be worth it in the end.

Tim, you won't have to tell the surgeon you didn't follow the pre-op diet. He'll be able to tell once you're in surgery and he looks at your liver. Post-op, you're likely going to be on a liquid diet for a week or two. I would not advise cheating during that time. As for success after your banded, that depends on how much you are willing to work to become healthy.

Go through the kitchen (and favorite hiding places) and get rid of all the crap food. Stock the place with some healthy foods. Search the recipe section for food choices during the post-op period and print out the ones you like. The band will assist you in learning to eat healthy but it doesn't perform miracles. You CAN do it.

I dont think preop success is an indicator at all of how you'll go post op.

There's two ways to look at it, nearly anybody if they really set their mind to it, can diet for short periods of time. Its a whole different ball game keeping the weight coming off week after week, month after month and then maintaining that loss. So you can stick to a liquid diet for a week or two? Doesnt really mean you can hack it for the long haul.

Or the other way to look at it is that if you just cant get your head around living on premade shakes - like me, lol - or if like me your body just absolutely cannot function on that muck, and on so few calories without doing weird things like fainting in public - that also does not mean that the band wont work for you. I didnt have to do a preop diet but thought I'd do so anyway for the kick start and I failed it utterly. I've been kicking goals ever since my surgery - modest ones, but goals nonetheless.

Dont worry about it, you get banded to help you with this process and its nowhere near as hard after the surgery as the pre op diet is. And I do believe that stupid as it is, some physicians like to "test" you and your resolve by this process which is just ridiculous, whether or not you stick to it means nothing.

Tim:

I was scheduled for my surgery today, but when I went in last Thursday for my check-up I'd only lost 15 of the 30 lbs he wants me to lose.

Sherry ,

Wow a mandatory 30 lbs. that has to be tough. If we could lose 30lbs at the drop of a hat, we wouldn't need the surgery. I guess postponing your surgery is his way of getting you to comply however that seems a bit impersonal. I wish he wasn't so dismissive of your 15 lbs.