Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What reason did you give your job for being out of work?

I didn't think so. My surgeon just said he would write the letter as he has done many times to employers stating that the patient had surgery. I think that's all they need to know.

em

I'm a bad liar and will chose silence over blatent lying. I've told a few close friends and coworkers. I figure when the weight loss starts to get noticed and someone asks (as someone always will) How did you lose the weight--I'll just tell them at that point.

I work with women who have had gastric bypass surgery. 98% of my coworkers are on a diet of some kind at any given point. Weight loss is a hot topic and if I can be a good example, I hope more opt for it.

I just told my supervisor that I was having surgery and would be out for a few days. My HR person told me I didn't have to reveal anything. Though I did tell her because I like her. We are a very small company less than 40 employees. My super didn't push but did ask if it was major surgery. I just kinda laughed it off and said to me all surgery is major. He let it go.

Get this...I am also having a tubaligation at the same time as the lapband. My OB works in the same building and the same hospital as the bariatric doctor and we've managed to FINALLY get it coordinated so that she, my OB, can come to the OR to tie my tubes :clap2: . Man, what a task and heart ache that whole process has been. But its worked out great. I'm hoping my insurance will cover a bit more than what the OB is asking for and that will go towards my lapband (I can hope). I am self-pay and I hope I can get a little something back.

So if somebody really pushes me and I break, I'll just tell them, I had my tubes tied!!

Well it's official. I let my co-workers and administrators know that I was having Hiatal Hernia Surgery. The ironic thing was... I just got the results of my pre-op testing and my GI serious shows a hiatal hernia. Of course, it's not the one that needs to be corrected during surgery. It's a common small slide hiatal hernia. My family also thinks I'm going in for the same thing. My mom, husband, and younger sister are the only ones who know the truth. If down the line I feel like telling people, I will. But for now, that's the way it's going to be.

It truly doesn't make me feel good at all. I'm not a liar but I'm sure feeling like one right now. I have to say though, the lie isn't hurting anyone but me. At this point in my life, I want to keep this part of my life quiet.

I will be banded on September 5th. Thanks for all the good ideas and advice.

Providing I ever GET banded, I'm just saying it's surgery. The Dr. letter doesn't have be too specific for my work. I've told SOME people here, and one woman in my office was at the seminar, but she's going for RNY and 6 weeks of being off work.

Co-workers can sit and wonder why is she absent (maybe she went to detox, maybe cosmetic surgery, disease treatment, a sex change, hemoroid surgery, a psychiatric institution???) Let them guess. Who cares what they think. Just tell them you prefer to keep your all your medical matters private and keep your head high. The only people who need to know are human resources - and they must keep this info confidential too.

Good luck!

Sweetsue: I love the possibilities you gave here! Gave me a need laugh for today! Let's see, where I work, most of us have already been to (or should've been to) most of the above anyway!

I am soooo nervous. After telling everyone at work about my Hiaetal Hernia surgery, my surgeons office sent the letter stating that I was having a surgical procedure and would return to work within 2 weeks.

BIG PROBLEM: The letterhead read: Minimally invasive and Bariatric Surgery. If that's not giving it away what is? I am soooo embarassed that they must know at this point. What do I do? Do I just forget about it and let them think what they want. All they have to do is google his name and his name comes up as one of the leading doctors in Bariatric surgery. That's what happens when we lie. I wanted something to remain confidential and now the girl in personnel probably caught on. Knowing her she probably would blab it to someone else.

"Knowing her she probably would blab it to someone else.Knowing her she probably would blab it to someone else."

and if she does, its a breach in confidentiallity.

And I think a hernia can be "done" by a Bariatric surgeon.

Dont sweat it.

It none of their business if you dont want it to be.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->